Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Twist is already produced and sold to the States. But it is a labour intensive, hand made product and so takes a long time to full-fill larger orders.
Thanks for your response, however I don’t live in the states. I was actually wondering on importing some directly to New Zealand, and was curious as to your minimum order size. Yes I like ropes a lot. Lol

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I know it's easy to forget that the US is not the only country in the world but to be fair to GH&Co, they are easily available in the UK.
Quite a lot of them products are going to Russian &Ukrainan market as well, yet ever growing pipe tobacco market in China will probably take some some share of the manufacturers annual output

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Thanks for your response, however I don’t live in the states. I was actually wondering on importing some directly to New Zealand, and was curious as to your minimum order size. Yes I like ropes a lot. Lol
AH ok, we do ship to Australia, not sure if that helps? We currently do not sell directly to customers as products have to be registered in each country we sell to, have labels specific for each country etc and so we work with an importer in each place so this is all done.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Just a thought.

I work in the wine & spirits industry, and every year we have to present our retailers and restaurants with "pre-sells" for products that are limited (think Grand/Premier Cru Burgundy or Italian Super-Tuscans).

The accounts tell us how much they want, and we relay that information to the supplier/winery. Depending on how much is available, they send us what we requested and we, in turn, send the orders to the accounts that requested them.

What if Laudisi did something similar? What if they put out a "pre-sell" to their customers (both individuals and B&M stores) two or three times a year asking them what they would like?

Of course certain limits would need to apply for certain products (no 50# orders of FVF allowed, LOL), and customers would probably have to enter a CC number to hold the order, but it would at least give GH&Co. an idea as to how much they would need to manufacture in order to satisfy some of the demand in the US.

GH&Co. could take the pre-sells, fulfill them to the best of their ability and then ship the orders to the distributor/online retailers when they were ready. Customers and accounts would be alerted that their order has arrived and given 48-72 hours to confirm and their CC would be charged. If the order is declined, then it can be offered to another interested party.

This gives GH&Co. a better indication of what is needed to satisfy the current demand in the US, as well as give customers some piece of mind that they can obtain the blends that they want (to a degree).

There would have to be the clear message that no requests are guaranteed, but it could at least be a start.

It's not a perfect system, but online retailers already have most of our information on file, so I don't see where it would be difficult for them to put something like this in place.

What say you @shaneireland & @swilford ?

Now I'm going to fill out my reviews for SG St James Flake, SG FVF and G&H Best Brown #2!
We have touched on this with Laudisi and we had hoped to have a meeting to maybe sort out a few details but unfortunately COVID scuppered that until travel a little less restricted.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I don't want to gripe on this, but if I where even able to get my grubby hands on your product.... I do understand Brexit has made it troublesome and your products are never really sold in the Netherlands, but even watching sources like Estervals in Germany hasn't received a re-stock before Brexit. Other routes like CZ and CH are non accessible.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Just a thought.

I work in the wine & spirits industry, and every year we have to present our retailers and restaurants with "pre-sells" for products that are limited (think Grand/Premier Cru Burgundy or Italian Super-Tuscans).

The accounts tell us how much they want, and we relay that information to the supplier/winery. Depending on how much is available, they send us what we requested and we, in turn, send the orders to the accounts that requested them.

What if Laudisi did something similar? What if they put out a "pre-sell" to their customers (both individuals and B&M stores) two or three times a year asking them what they would like?

This is a good suggestion in other circumstances, but wouldn't really fix the problems: we know well enough what we need, we have sizable orders stacked up with Gawith. Laudisi brought in a whole lot more in 2021 than had come to the US previously, but we're (both Gawith and Laudisi) still very much trying to catch up with demand.

Gawith is making great strides to fill that additional demand, but it takes time to grow capacity in a factory, particularly in products that require a lot of hand-work.

Laudisi, for its part, it happy to order and pay for and carry inventory (oh, we would so dearly love to actually have GH regularly in stock...).

Everything is moving the right direction here; it's just not happening as quickly as we thought it would, both because of the normal challenges of the past two years and because the well of demand in the market was deeper than anyone would have supposed.

As Gawith indicated in another post in this thread, we were expecting to have in-person meetings this month (Ted and I had planned to visit Gawith), but those died on the altar of Covid restrictions (ironically, not for the UK; I can get to the UK, but I had planned to go from Manchester (near Kendal) to Germany and I'm not allowed to go there now). We'll get those rolling sometime soon one way or another and perhaps we can speed up progress with that.

Anyway, short and long of it is that it is getting and will continue to get better. It's hard to see the progress we've made because it's still getting gobbled up so quickly, but substantial progress has been made to improving the situation on both sides of the Atlantic.

Sykes

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
This is a good suggestion in other circumstances, but wouldn't really fix the problems: we know well enough what we need, we have sizable orders stacked up with Gawith. Laudisi brought in a whole lot more in 2021 than had come to the US previously, but we're (both Gawith and Laudisi) still very much trying to catch up with demand.

Gawith is making great strides to fill that additional demand, but it takes time to grow capacity in a factory, particularly in products that require a lot of hand-work.

Laudisi, for its part, it happy to order and pay for and carry inventory (oh, we would so dearly love to actually have GH regularly in stock...).

Everything is moving the right direction here; it's just not happening as quickly as we thought it would, both because of the normal challenges of the past two years and because the well of demand in the market was deeper than anyone would have supposed.

As Gawith indicated in another post in this thread, we were expecting to have in-person meetings this month (Ted and I had planned to visit Gawith), but those died on the altar of Covid restrictions (ironically, not for the UK; I can get to the UK, but I had planned to go from Manchester (near Kendal) to Germany and I'm not allowed to go there now). We'll get those rolling sometime soon one way or another and perhaps we can speed up progress with that.

Anyway, short and long of it is that it is getting and will continue to get better. It's hard to see the progress we've made because it's still getting gobbled up so quickly, but substantial progress has been made to improving the situation on both sides of the Atlantic.

Sykes
I am just thankful with the deeming and the uncertain last few years that we are still here and you all as an Industry are thriving!

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA

Sykes
Sykes,

First off, thanks to both you and Gawith for responding on the forum. Never in a year of full moons did I think you would chime in, but I'm happy you did.

I obviously do not know the ins and outs of the manufacturing process of pipe tobacco, so my suggestion was merely based on my past experience with other hard to get, hand-crafted products.

Being in a business that sells desirable products that are sometimes hard to get, I never strive to be out of stock on items, and I hate having disappointed customers. I'm sure Laudisi is no different. Sometimes there just isn't enough product for all of the consumers that want it.

So I know that you and Gawith are working on the issues, and at least we are able to get our hands on some blends occasionally. I certainly picked some up during the drop last year and was pleased with what I was able to get.

I guess the positive out of all of this would be that there are more pipesmokers today than there were yesterday. And there will be more tomorrow than there are today. Yes, that creates more demand for quality products. But in the long run, it is ultimately good for the industry and the hobby as a whole.

Thanks to Gawith and Laudisi for what they do for the community and thank you again for your input.

BTW...the review forms are super easy to fill out. Since that was the initial reasoning behind the OP.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Not to mention the fact that most of the complaints people are making ought best be directed to the distributors and not the manufacturers.
I agree. Let’s not eat our own. Give feedback if you like, smoke it if you can. It’s pretty cool this is a small historical enterprise that is still producing pipe tobacco products. Thank you for seeking us out across the pond!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

Sykes
Sykes, the improvements in availability are already apparent if you’re paying attention.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Ernie, at Watch City, has done this a few times with special projects, and it's worked very well. He announces a special blend he's going to make, an amount range for the individual order, and people put in their orders. He makes more than enough to meet the subscription demand and everyone gets their order. Wish I'd ordered more of Off The Rails.

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
Nice if they offered a few samples to consider..

Still, the Chocolate Flake is quite decent.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Love the product you make. You don’t need any new reviews or advertisements. Respectfully, you need more production.
This has been addressed multiple times on multiple threads across multiple forums. We are a VERY small family run company. We are doing our best to increase production and working with the importer on ways to ensure a better more consistent supply BUT as many products are handmade and hand packed, it is labour intensive and takes a long time to make the product. In the last 2 years when the world has been shut down by a pandemic and we have battled Brexit in the UK, we have actually shipped far more product to America than ever before and opened new markets in new countries. But we always have to ensure we maintain quality over quantity. And we do not advertise particularly as tobacco advertising is banned. The reviews are for the new catalogue and website and we wanted our customers to be involved. Those that have have smoked our products for years. Not all of these, in fact many are not in America.