PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
With as fast as GH&co products sell out, I have to wonder why keep pushing the marketing? If you started finally to make more than you can sell out in a few hours, then... you'd need to market more heavily. But, as it is now, GH&co could make butt sweat flavored twists, and it would sell out in less than three hours.

I know it's easy to forget that the US is not the only country in the world but to be fair to GH&Co, they are easily available in the UK.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Slack time is a rarity around this house, man.
that is what you get for being productive and doing something worthwhile. I keep telling you that you could just be watching reality t.v. and smoking half a pipe daily wishing you could afford more. :) (side note keep telling actually means just pretending there is a history that does not exist.)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
that is what you get for being productive and doing something worthwhile. I keep telling you that you could just be watching reality t.v. and smoking half a pipe daily wishing you could afford more. :) (side note keep telling actually means just pretending there is a history that does not exist.)
Watching a reality show is worse than not smoking a pipe.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Watching a reality show is worse than not smoking a pipe.
Unless the reality show is Big Brother and the house guests are:
Jiminks
sablebrush52
cosmicfolklore
Chasing Embers
mso489
woodsroad
craig61a
anotherbob
jpmcwjr
didimauw
ssjones
MikeThompson
and a few other of forum members. Actually any 16 forum members would make it interesting. Sixteen grown men sitting around all day doing nothing but smoking pipes and bullshitting.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
depends on which one, but in most cases yeah. Kind of like amputation with a rust dull implement is worse then not getting a massage. You know what's worse then those shows? The people that buy the reality part of it.
I've never been culturally deficient enough to watch even one second of any reality show ever aired. Yes, they are scripted. A friend of mine used to be a writer for them, and thought those shows were stupid, but he liked earning a living.

Unless the reality show is Big Brother and the house guests are:
Jiminks
sablebrush52
cosmicfolklore
Chasing Embers
mso489
woodsroad
craig61a
anotherbob
jpmcwjr
didimauw
ssjones
MikeThompson
and a few other of forum members. Actually any 16 forum members would make it interesting. Sixteen grown men sitting around all day doing nothing but smoking pipes and bullshitting.
Old Man Partying GIFs | Tenor

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
We produce and supply what the distributor orders. If the distributor orders more we will make more, although it will take us longer to full-fill the order.
Just a thought.

I work in the wine & spirits industry, and every year we have to present our retailers and restaurants with "pre-sells" for products that are limited (think Grand/Premier Cru Burgundy or Italian Super-Tuscans).

The accounts tell us how much they want, and we relay that information to the supplier/winery. Depending on how much is available, they send us what we requested and we, in turn, send the orders to the accounts that requested them.

What if Laudisi did something similar? What if they put out a "pre-sell" to their customers (both individuals and B&M stores) two or three times a year asking them what they would like?

Of course certain limits would need to apply for certain products (no 50# orders of FVF allowed, LOL), and customers would probably have to enter a CC number to hold the order, but it would at least give GH&Co. an idea as to how much they would need to manufacture in order to satisfy some of the demand in the US.

GH&Co. could take the pre-sells, fulfill them to the best of their ability and then ship the orders to the distributor/online retailers when they were ready. Customers and accounts would be alerted that their order has arrived and given 48-72 hours to confirm and their CC would be charged. If the order is declined, then it can be offered to another interested party.

This gives GH&Co. a better indication of what is needed to satisfy the current demand in the US, as well as give customers some piece of mind that they can obtain the blends that they want (to a degree).

There would have to be the clear message that no requests are guaranteed, but it could at least be a start.

It's not a perfect system, but online retailers already have most of our information on file, so I don't see where it would be difficult for them to put something like this in place.

What say you @shaneireland & @swilford ?

Now I'm going to fill out my reviews for SG St James Flake, SG FVF and G&H Best Brown #2!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I've never been culturally deficient enough to watch even one second of any reality show ever aired. Yes, they are scripted. A friend of mine used to be a writer for them, and thought those shows were stupid, but he liked earning a living.
I always say even if they're not scripted. Which is a big huge "even if" they're still heavily edited with zero guarantee of honest context.
For example I tell you that you're a jerk face and tell me that in fact I am the jerk face, it wouldn't be hard to make it look like you are calling me a jerkface out of no where by putting it in the context of our discussion of how I don't really like that one blend all that much.
I once ran into someone who was on a stupid reality show and they said one of the most annoying things about being on the show turned out to be having to wear the same clothes for many days and keep their hair and facial hair not only always cut the same but style the same (can't move the part around) specifically so things could be edited that way. They were doing some stupid promotional thing at a craptastic night club.

Reactions: JimInks

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
might work with stores but individuals not so much. Or at least that is what I think. Individuals are less reliable and less accountable.
I agree, but that's where the CC number would come into play. If someone doesn't reply after the 48hr grace period, then the CC gets charged and the order gets shipped. If the card gets declined, then the order goes into a "reserve" and can be offered to another party. I mean, it's not like the stuff won't sell, regardless.

Again, not a perfect system. But it could allow those that want GH&Co. products to obtain some on a somewhat consistent basis. And it gives GH&Co. a pretty accurate picture of what they need to ship to the US.

I'll be completely honest, I'm only suggesting this for my own benefit. LOL.

It would be nice to have a consistent supply of BB #2 and St James Flake. HAHAHA!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I agree, but that's where the CC number would come into play. If someone doesn't reply after the 48hr grace period, then the CC gets charged and the order gets shipped. If the card gets declined, then the order goes into a "reserve" and can be offered to another party. I mean, it's not like the stuff won't sell, regardless.

Again, not a perfect system. But it could allow those that want GH&Co. products to obtain some on a somewhat consistent basis. And it gives GH&Co. a pretty accurate picture of what they need to ship to the US.

I'll be completely honest, I'm only suggesting this for my own benefit. LOL.

It would be nice to have a consistent supply of BB #2 and St James Flake. HAHAHA!
good point.

SourShank

Lurker
Nov 26, 2021
Germany
I had the privilege to buy the last tin of Commonwealth in my local area for the foreseeable future. I will be returning stateside later this year. I hope I walk into a tin or two of your products. They're truly delightful.