PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The different approaches we have to contributing to the WAYS thread has always interested me. Some people use a picture of the pipe from when they purchased it, others take a selfie smoking. There are the accidental posts in other threads, or the thumbnail/upside down/multiple pictures when I’m sure admin is just messing with us who are still overcoming their technological illiteracy. There are pictures which are beautifully staged, others which are awesome in their honesty, and some which seem to be have been taken in advance and then always uploaded to show the particular pipe. Then there are also the picture less posts which to me read like well crafted Mills & Boon.

How do you contribute (if you do), and why? Does it vary?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I look over the WAYS pages more often than I post in them.
I contribute sporadically, mostly because I won’t post unless I can take a current photo of the pipe and tobacco I am referring to in the post.
As in like, “ … I am smoking this tobacco in this pipe right now.”
I have the same approach, but can see how a system/saved pic would be handy if I was smoking a lot more bowls per day.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
All my pics are real time, I usually prepare my pipe after dinner, light it, set it on its rest, than snap the pic. Then I post the pic with a note of what the tobacco is along with a brief description of the pipe. I like reading other people‘s WAYS posts both for the pictures of beautiful pipes as well as inspiration on what blend to smoke next. I aim to supply both of those things with my posts.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
All my pics are real time, I usually prepare my pipe after dinner, light it, set it on its rest, than snap the pic. Then I post the pic with a note of what the tobacco is along with a brief description of the pipe. I like reading other people‘s WAYS posts both for the pictures of beautiful pipes as well as inspiration on what blend to smoke next. I aim to supply both of those things with my posts.
You do bro

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I normally like to take a photo before lighting up. I always prepare my pipe in the kitchen before heading outside which is why I almost always shoot my photo in front of my coffee machine.

Occasionally I will take a photo while sitting outside if the light permits it, and I have on occasion used an old photo stored on my phone.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have the same approach, but can see how a system/saved pic would be handy if I was smoking a lot more bowls per day.
I'm not into doing selfies, and I smoke a lot of bowls a day, so stock photos are all I can/will do. The pipe descriptions are from the old days when I didn't post pics, but I decided to keep posting them because I like detailed information, and figure others do as well.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I don’t post in the WAYS thread that often (well, not nearly as often as I smoke), but when I do I don’t usually post a picture, but I do like to post a little something about my life at that moment/the circumstances of the smoke itself, rather than just saying “I’m smoking X out of Y.”

Reactions: JOHN72 and Ahi Ka

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
… I smoke a lot of bowls a day, so stock photos are all I can/will do.
This makes sense Jim, you smoke more bowls in a day than I do in a month. ?
The pipe descriptions are from the old days when I didn't post pics, but I decided to keep posting them because I like detailed information, and figure others do as well.
I enjoy your detailed descriptions. Thank you and please keep it, your posts are the string that ties the WAYS threads together.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not into selfies, myself. And it's way too much hassle to take photos, transfer them to the computer, de-EXIF them, and post them here. I'll just type what I had earlier. And it's always earlier, even by hours, since I only smoke in my car and the computer's in my home.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Ahi Ka