Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I do the water cleaning, my pipe comes out looking dull, like the wax has been washed off and I have to polish it again. Doesn't that drive you guys nuts?
That is most likely because you have a very thick layer of wax. I keep the wax pulled to a microscopic layer, and it doesn't haze at all. But, if it should, just a quick buffing with an old tshirt brings it back instantly.

It's not the water doing this, unless you're using some wax that I've never heard of. It is most likely the heat from the water. I don't use hot water on mine.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
tempImageiUi6uG.jpg
All this talk about cleaning a pipe with water got me to wondering - do you guys "really" know what you are talking about when it comes to smoking. What you see here is our family's sacred pipe, handed down for who knows how long. Normally, the pipe is not joined to the stem (for any lurkers out there who might have a coronary regarding protocol). The ashes are disposed of in a sacred fire, the same one from which the pipe is lit. Boy, o'boy, one has to really want to smoke my pipe. This pipe is a four winds pipe and when loading it, thanks are offered in the four directions. The pipe is smudged before and after it is lit and smoked. It is wrapped and stored under the thoughtful gaze of a series of Katchina from the Second Meza. Simple and for the most part unadorned, it is "the pipe" in my collection. More importantly, it is a family member who hopefully will be around for many generations to come. For those wondering what is in the bowl, that is some sage. It remains there until the pipe is ready to be smoked. Rituals...they just ain't for breakfast any more.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Thanks for sharing that. It really deserves its own post and not to be buried in the morass of this thread. Please consider reposting in its own thread where it can get the attention and respect it deserves.
Thank you for your kindness. There are many stories behind this pipe. I might consider doing more in terms of sharing about the pipe, but the thing is, this pipe is not part of a collection. It stands separate from me and is its own person. I added it here to illustrate that pipes, while often times just a tool for relaxation, are more often than not, something more. Not everyone feels that way, but think about it. How many of us have a pipe that was smoked by an ancestor. When we see that pipe, it reminds us of that person; the way they talked, interacted with the world, and everything they were when they lived. Pipes are a part of such a transcendence and because of that, some of us view heated discussions about whether you give your pipe a bath with amusement. I posted this pipe to remind our posters that the pipe and smoking it - is a part of such transcendence. How you clean it is up to you. Show meticulous care or not - it doesn't matter because it was the smoke that was important.

And then again, sometimes.... a pipe is just a pipe.

You decide.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Luthiers amaze me. We have a famous ukulele and concertina maker here, Bob Tedrow. He is always soaking and steaming the woods he uses to shape them, shave them, or finish them. I in no way would soak a pipe for as long he does to get wood flexible. I merely rinse my pipes out.
Water has a powerful affect on wood.
So when you say that the only reason I won't agree is because of fear or another dismissive tactic, how does that make your case? I once did say that I thought water flush was silly and left it at that. You, however must resort to tactics which demean your opponent instead of actually engaging in conversation about possibilities.
True, but in a debate both sides resort to hysteria.

Sorry that you feel that way about yourself, but that's inside your head, not mine.

As for people who say that water flushing a pipe doesn't work without having tried it, talking out their ass, I stand by that 100%.

I own some pretty rare and damned expensive pipes. Very, very, very fine smoking implements that I've collected over decades. I wouldn't be submitting them to a practice that would damage them.

Stop playing the wounded victim. Nobody is buying it, least of all me.
In my mind the tone of this post is both ineffective and offensive, especially the profanity, which I am not above. You can call me on at will. It has a lot in common with a gorilla's chest-pounding. Also the tone is constantly dismissive. and a great example of captainsousie's post. above.

Anyway, in the natural world the force of water cannot be questioned. It carves a coastline in whatever form that it wishes. As regards its effect on wood, find a way to embezzle Home Depot's profits on paint and other sealants and you will be a very rich man.

It's obvious that wood and water don 't mix. But based on visual inspection and the way that the pipe so cleaned performs n the next smoke, flushers pronounce flushing good.

Good now, apparently, but good always? Good now based on what, a short visual inspection? Are you sure that no deleterious change occurred? No, your examination can hardly be called thorough. Good inside the shank? You don't know. Good long-term? Nobody knows.

That's a lot of uncertainty in the face of many examples that water degrades wood. I'll wager that this practice has taken root only on this very small island of pipesmagazine-but I don't know.

In fact neither of us know about the matter, but at times both sides resort to being rough with other members because we insist that we do know or feel that we have always been the voice of wisdom and that we have a position to maintain, both of which are ego, not fact.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Anyway, in the natural world the force of water cannot be questioned.
In that case, the power of alcohol on wood cannot be questioned, especially on wax and dyes and acrylics. I don’t expose my pipes to anymore “force” with water than others may in cleaning with alcahol.

It's obvious that wood and water don 't mix.
That’s absurd. Boats, my house, wooden barrels, all sorts of wood has come into contact with water throughout history.

Good grief, we’re talking about rinsing and then wiping. My pipe is less exposed to water than a coffee table being wetsanded before finishing.

We are not talking, gail force wind driven rain, eating away at the raw wood over hundreds of years.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
In all seriousness... If you read this whole thread and believe water can hurt your pipes, then you need a therapist. That's an unreasonable fear. @sablebrush52 has some pretty damn fancy pipes.. he washes those and has for a long time. @jpmcwjr is the spokesman for the washaholics , also a moderator on this forum, has used this method for years on his pipes. I know his pipes are high end... after reading 100s of his post I have gathered that he is a rich guy, and he drives a 7 series bmw.

WATER WILL NOT HURT YOUR BRIAR PIPES... IT WILL OVER TIME HURT COBS AND MM HARDWOODS, BUT THOSE COST 5 BUCKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.