New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when you say that the only reason I won't agree is because of fear or another dismissive tactic, how does that make your case? I once did say that I thought water flush was silly and left it at that. You, however must resort to tactics which demean your opponent instead of actually engaging in conversation about possibilities. Read my posts to understand rather than reading to respond and you will see that while I don't agree, I am open to dialogue...not a monologue which only serves to make the poster feel good.

While you're at it, read back on your own posts. You say "I don't care what you do" but follow it up with an attack that states only weak minded or fearful people will disagree with you. Please desist those tactics and actually converse with people like me who care about the science behind things.
I know that you are addressing Sable, but FWIW, when I have said what I have said above, I had no one in particular in mind. I think absolutely no less, nor do I feel a closer camaraderie with those who do use water. It is always insinuations that it somehow hurts the pipe that things get tricky.

Luthiers amaze me. We have a famous ukulele and concertina maker here, Bob Tedrow. He is always soaking and steaming the woods he uses to shape them, shave them, or finish them. I in no way would soak a pipe for as long he does to get wood flexible. I merely rinse my pipes out.

Look, when you say that "I don't care what other people do" and then you go on to say or insinuate that "it hurts pipes." You are saying two completely different things. The first was just an opinion, and should have just stopped right there. But, to insinuate that water rinsing hurts the pipes, negates your first statement, and thus opens the door for a totally different argument.

Sure, no one else should ever care what someone else does with their pipes. I have crushed a many a pipe under the heal of my boot, just because I enjoy that crushing sound it makes on the spirit of tenderhearted pipesmokers that don't know better. "Oh, but trade it to me..." simpleminded bleeding hearts.

There has never been any believable evidence of water rinsing leading to anything negative happening to pipes. I have seen more evidence that pipecleaners damage pipes than water... thinking of Walt Connoy's father's pipe he posted where his father had been such an enthusiastic pipecleaner user that he bore a hole out the front of the stummel with it. Or, just those scratching sounds as a raw wired pipecleaner scratching its way down the draft hole.
But, those like Ash who were against water rinsing, actually proved that water does no damage to the wood.

Yes, I still do not care what you guys do to your pipes. And, you shouldn't care what others do either. But, lets drop the insinuations or false claims. That's where the arguments get nasty. You claim that I am damaging my pipe is a call for a fist in the nose under the right circumstances, so don't pen this down as water rinsers being evangelical or extremists or whatever... because I don't care what others do. It is merely throwing out accusations that causes the problems.

Aug 1, 2012
I know that you are addressing Sable, but FWIW, when I have said what I have said above, I had no one in particular in mind. I think absolutely no less, nor do I feel a closer camaraderie with those who do use water. It is always insinuations that it somehow hurts the pipe that things get tricky.

Luthiers amaze me. We have a famous ukulele and concertina maker here, Bob Tedrow. He is always soaking and steaming the woods he uses to shape them, shave them, or finish them. I in no way would soak a pipe for rinse my pipes out.
You have a point too. So many parts of this come down to the interaction between briar and water which traditionally were enemies. I mean we have several pipe makers who boast drying the blocks for times like 100 years. However, while we have 600 years of research into how different woods react to humidity in instruments, we have relatively little information about pipes and their materials.

I actually find the idea fascinating and would love to have a chance to dig deeper...nobody in their right mind would fund it though.

In the end, I think we're most of us here to learn rather than fight, it's just that many of us get caught up in our own ideas and forget that the other person is...a person.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So when you say that the only reason I won't agree is because of fear or another dismissive tactic, how does that make your case? I once did say that I thought water flush was silly and left it at that. You, however must resort to tactics which demean your opponent instead of actually engaging in conversation about possibilities.
First off, it's you who resorted to tactics and continue to do so in this reply.
I've done this method of cleaning for years, stated the way that I do it. Stated why I do this in a manner different from some other adherents, and my reasons for doing so. I've covered my experiences and practices with the topic in detail.
Read my posts to understand rather than reading to respond and you will see that while I don't agree, I am open to dialogue...not a monologue which only serves to make the poster feel good.
Read mine. Your description doesn't match my posts.

As for talking out one's ass about conclusions about which one has zero practical or personal experience, I stand by that. All that's left is opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.
While you're at it, read back on your own posts. You say "I don't care what you do" but follow it up with an attack that states only weak minded or fearful people will disagree with you.
Well, I think the fearful part is correct, so why pretend? Weak minded? I must have been in a mood that day. I'' go back and take a look.
Please desist those tactics and actually converse with people like me who care about the science behind things.
Have you observed, experimented, measured, tested, etc, with regard to various methods for cleaning your pipes? Because THAT'S what people who care about the "science behind things" do. That's exactly what I do.

Water flush. Don't water flush. Whatever. Nobody cares.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
You have a point too. So many parts of this come down to the interaction between briar and water which traditionally were enemies. I mean we have several pipe makers who boast drying the blocks for times like 100 years. However, while we have 600 years of research into how different woods react to humidity in instruments, we have relatively little information about pipes and their materials.

I actually find the idea fascinating and would love to have a chance to dig deeper...nobody in their right mind would fund it though.

In the end, I think we're most of us here to learn rather than fight, it's just that many of us get caught up in our own ideas and forget that the other person is...a person.
I always thought that 100 years of drying business was BS. Once wood reaches the humidity level of the ambient air around it, it is as dry as it is going to get.

I always thought that 100 years of drying business was BS. Once wood reaches the humidity level of the ambient air around it, it is as dry as it is going to get.
Sasquatch has already come on here to straighten us out about that. It's the age of the briar when it is wretched out of the ground that matters more than how long it has aged after that.

telescopes

Sasquatch has already come on here to straighten us out about that. It's the age of the briar when it is wretched out of the ground that matters more than how long it has aged after that.
I have a rosewood Ming styled dining set I bought while visiting Xian. The wood is air dried for two years before they begin work on the table. It reaches a humidity level consistent with that part of the world.

I live in a desert. The humidity level is much lower. The wood drys to the level of the air around it. Age of drying only matters so much.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Keep in mind that some old pipes are stored under less than optimal conditions (uninsulated attics come to mind) that result in them drying out over time. Send George Dibos, Georged on this forum, a PM and ask him about it. He's seen and restored more vintage pipes than anyone on this forum. George is an amazing font of knowledge.

I'm thinking this might help me from hearing my wife bitch about my pipes stinking. Do you guys do it after every smoke or like once a week?
I used to do it after every smoke, but I have gotten to where i just do it occasionally now, because time is getting tight. But, it does make your pipes smell so much better. If fact, it'll make you realize just how badly they stink when you don't also.

telescopes

Yep, but keep in mind that that line in the Holy Bible is deploring the deed, the chaos, not sanctioning it. ?;)
Long ago, I realized that people loved to quote the Bible to make "their" point. While I can keep up with most, I find a turn of the phrase can often times make more of a point than the point of the phrase straight up. For instance, my father is an unforgiving but otherwise "religious" man who is able to clearly see any faults but his own. When I am doing something he disapproves of, say, smoking tobacco from a tin, (this isn't a joke) I remind him that "there is therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." It's his favorite verse to quote but he goes absolutely up in smoke rings when I use it back at him. Especially if I am grinning.

But I digress.

Back to our meditations on the value of Baptism after being on fire.

Does the water cleanse the pipe or is the pipe purified by the the faith of the one who cleans it?

Long ago, I realized that people loved to quote the Bible to make "their" point. While I can keep up with most, I find a turn of the phrase can often times make more of a point than the point of the phrase straight up. For instance, my father is an unforgiving but otherwise "religious" man who is able to clearly see any faults but his own. When I am doing something he disapproves of, say, smoking tobacco from a tin, (this isn't a joke) I remind him that "there is therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." It's his favorite verse to quote but he goes absolutely up in smoke rings when I use it back at him. Especially if I am grinning.

But I digress.

Back to our meditations on the value of Baptism after being on fire.

Does the water cleanse the pipe or is the pipe purified by the the faith of the one who cleans it?
This is why I take up snakes after each smoke. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.