PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for some humor here! My word, some folks got their "poor me; don't call me names" going.

And I truly do not care how or if the two captains clean their pipes. But I do care about the truth, and the reasons behind why we do what we do. And keeping threads civilized with no ad hominem.

Duane if you think I was condescending towards you or anyone else, I apologize. But I don't think that's the case! Here's what I wrote:

"Then there are those who are afraid of change, or cannot admit there could be a better way than they have been doing for 40 years. Or just plain contradictory folks or flat-earthers."
I am open to adding another category or two as to why certain folks have to post in every thread about it whenever it comes up only to be disparaging.

Aug 1, 2012
I just like the way I do things. I am comfortable and there has not been empirical evidence that my method needs to change. I also have some experience with luthiery which influences my attitudes toward wood and humidity/water. I have bought pipes from water flushers... they were pretty par for the course with buying estate pipes. About 50/50 good to go or needing help. I just don't want to do the water flush. I have my method which I am happy with and doubts which only a few were willing to engage with (chlorine and chloramines and their interaction with vulcanite is an example). I am happy to have a reasoned debate but am tired of the modern political tactic of dismissing anyone who won't agree with one's opinion.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I agree with your stance, which is well put.

It wasn't my intention to dismiss you or anyone who doesn't try it, though I see my categories above don't allow much for those folks who just want to stick with what works for them.

It's only the folks who poo-pooh it and have to post multiple times about it, adding nothing to the dialogue.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The smoker chooses the pipe. They are not wands. The pipe serves the smoker and the the smoker enjoys the pipe and treats the pipe as he or she wishes. It’s that simple. It has been for centuries. Pipe smoking does have its rituals - they are ancient and have been shared and enjoyed by smokers for centuries as well. The shared rituals are finite: the pipe is loaded with tobacco, lit, tamped, and enjoyed. It is then put away with some type of cleaning occurring at some point. All other rituals are variations on a theme and an expression of the practitioners personality. Or so it seems to me.

As the Bible says, “In those days Israel had no King and every man smoked his pipe as he saw right in his own eyes!” So it is written, so it shall be done.

Last edited:
Man, These water cleaning threads are serious business..
It's only ever really serious to the anti-water people. Those of us who use water, don't really care what other people do. It's the anti-type people who always seem to obsess over what other people are doing in their own house.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So, as a fearful, flat-earther, jerk who is such simply because he does not want to do the water flush...I say the following.

@sablebrush52 @jpmcwjr Thank you for letting me know that I am such a terrible person just because I disagree with you. You say "I don't care what way you clean" but whenever someone says "I am not a fan of water flush", you can't leave them to their own style, you must let us know how fearful, uneducated and stupid we are. I am realizing how horrible I am because of this. Thank you.
Sorry that you feel that way about yourself, but that's inside your head, not mine.

As for people who say that water flushing a pipe doesn't work without having tried it, talking out their ass, I stand by that 100%.

I own some pretty rare and damned expensive pipes. Very, very, very fine smoking implements that I've collected over decades. I wouldn't be submitting them to a practice that would damage them.

Stop playing the wounded victim. Nobody is buying it, least of all me.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I believe these discussions are the foundation of pipesmagazine.. but you have to wonder why some people take such a hard stance either way. Maybe they are members of PETP (people for the ethical treatment of pipes).. these people will come and rescue your pipes so that they never have to mistreated again.. but if nobody clicks "buy it now" within 30 days, those pipes are sadly put down.

I have some pipes I wash and some I don't.. I'm trying all the cleaning methods at once, in my search for the truth. I'm even doing the no clean method... which isn't working out too bad either

why some people take such a hard stance either way.
I have never in my life ever ever ever heard a water-rinser say that "EVERYONE should do this." It is always an anti-rinser that is saying that nobody should do this, or that people who do are stupid.
The worst of the water rinsers rhetoric is merely to say that "'doing this will hurt our pipes' is stupid."

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have never in my life ever ever ever heard a water-rinser say that "EVERYONE should do this." It is always an anti-rinser that is saying that nobody should do this, or that people who do are stupid.
The worst of the water rinsers rhetoric is merely to say that "'doing this will hurt our pipes' is stupid."

You're a water-rinserist, some kind of extremist.. and you know it.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
You're a water-rinserist, some kind of extremist.. and you know it.
What we have here, are Baptist versus Presbyterians and their ilk: Dunkers versus those who wiped their child down at birth with a sprinkle. Heresy, burnt tongues, and charred remains await the wicked smokers who refuse to puff at the alter of truth.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What we have here, are Baptist versus Presbyterians and their ilk: Dunkers versus those who wiped their child down at birth with a sprinkle. Heresy, burnt tongues, and charred remains await the wicked smokers who refuse to puff at the alter of truth.
There's a holy war between dunkers who demand the merest dip in the coffee, and those who favor a good soak. Dishware has been thrown and families torn asunder over this.

Aug 1, 2012
Sorry that you feel that way about yourself, but that's inside your head, not mine.

As for people who say that water flushing a pipe doesn't work without having tried it, talking out their ass, I stand by that 100%.

I own some pretty rare and damned expensive pipes. Very, very, very fine smoking implements that I've collected over decades. I wouldn't be submitting them to a practice that would damage them.

Stop playing the wounded victim. Nobody is buying it, least of all me.
So when you say that the only reason I won't agree is because of fear or another dismissive tactic, how does that make your case? I once did say that I thought water flush was silly and left it at that. You, however must resort to tactics which demean your opponent instead of actually engaging in conversation about possibilities. Read my posts to understand rather than reading to respond and you will see that while I don't agree, I am open to dialogue...not a monologue which only serves to make the poster feel good.

While you're at it, read back on your own posts. You say "I don't care what you do" but follow it up with an attack that states only weak minded or fearful people will disagree with you. Please desist those tactics and actually converse with people like me who care about the science behind things.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Aug 1, 2012
I agree with your stance, which is well put.

It wasn't my intention to dismiss you or anyone who doesn't try it, though I see my categories above don't allow much for those folks who just want to stick with what works for them.

It's only the folks who poo-pooh it and have to post multiple times about it, adding nothing to the dialogue.
Also well put. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.