PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
For me, I don’t have to hate digital to more love analog.

Moving to a new place, Google Maps has saved both time and money.

I do support local, but where here would I find a salt shooting fly gun…..lol?!

Reactions: JOHN72

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Orient Ray 2.

One of my first was the Orient Mako, looks nearly the same. Looks great.
My 1st Seiko 5 and 1st automatic watch. Bought due to its similarity to an actual railroad approved watch.
I have a couple of Seiko 5s too, and my son has now claimed one, a green field watch. They’ve been really great despite my abusing the heck out of them.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some great watches, I love the variety of tastes. Dive watches continue to hold my interest.
I have small, but carefully chosen collection. I can't imagine not wearing a wristwatch.

Daily driver,Longines Hydroconquest. On a Longines rubber deployment strap for summer,just put the bracelet back on for the Fall (and a wedding). This dropped by a TSA agent in October at BWI, I had to get it serviced,and filed a claim in May, still awaiting that result.

Longines_HC_Apr-2018 (2).jpg

My Holy Grail, a Marei-era Doxa Sub (Sharkhunter), on an Erika's MN strap for summer (back on the beads-of-rice bracelet soon).

20190721_211313.jpg

My most recent, a Longine Skin Diver, a recent release. My first watch, in the late 60's was a Waltham "Skin Diver", so I had to have this when they came out. On the factory rubber Tropic style strap with a deployment clasp, but I have a Staib mesh bracelet that goes on in the Fall (these bracelets are incredible, factory mesh for Breitling and Omega)

20210224_190123.jpg

Staib_Longines_SD (4).jpg

And my work horse, a Seiko Quartz diver that I bought in 1994, now on a thick rubber strap for cycling, etc.
Even with a cycling computer, I can't ride without a watch.

236622505_5098527650163189_2569107050312602222_n.jpg

I inherited this 1967 Omega Seamaster last year, from my father-in-law. It keeps good time, but I only wear it on special occasions. (it's pretty small in size)

Omega_Leather.jpg

Attachments

• 20200310_201935.jpg
    20200310_201935.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 6

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
To follow up @Grangerous 's beautiful model 14060 Submariner above, here is my model 1680 Submariner:

View attachment 93319
Beautiful! Creamy Tritium, Lawdawg!

Mine is an “A-series” — 1999 was Rolex’ transition year from Tritium to Lume. During that year, Rolex didnt manufacture the Lume and so omitted “Swiss-Made” leaving only “Swiss”. It’s also a two-liner, as opposed to having four lines of text. Lastly, having no date complication— makes this series collectible as the cleanest expression of a Submariner Dial. — Side note. I’ve often wondered why a deep sea diver, tracking his remaining oxygen, would need to see the date via magnification? Beautiful Sub, Lawdawg! From one WIS to another!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
@ssjones your vintage Omega is absolute class! Very nice collection. Gotta love the newer watches inspired by the vintage skin divers. Shame about the TSA agent dropping your Longines. The only thing worse would be watching someone drop and shatter your favorite meerschaum - at least the watch can be serviced and repaired.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thanks! @Grangerous

The 14060 two liner is my absolute favorite Submariner reference. It’s the cleanest sub ever, IMO, on par stylistically with the old big crown two liners. I love my 1680 and will always keep it, as it is an inherited piece from a relative who wore it diving all over the South Pacific back when divers still relied on watches and dive charts, but if I picked a Submariner for myself, it would be a 14060 two liner.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Ten years ago last month, my parents finally got around to cleaning out my deceased grandmother's house. In the San Fernando Valley, on the hottest day of the year. Yeah, great choice. As a directionless 26 year old indentured servant living with them at the time, I was assigned to go through the guest bedroom and all of its bric-a-brac. Mostly junk, which hopefully found a good home by way of Goodwill. This was also in that room, one of the few gems I managed to find in the course of the whole experience:

watch.jpg

Apparently, this belonged to my maternal grandfather who passed away in 1998. I hadn't worn a wristwatch since I was a kid, but I was quite taken with it. 10 years, one deep cleaning, four or five batteries and three straps later, this little guy is chugging away in a comfortable nest of arm hair (also pictured). It even has bilingual capabilities! The "WED" will change to a "MIE" (Miercoles) in the wee hours.

I'm not a watch connoisseur by any stretch, so if anyone knows any information about this watch, I'm all arms ears.

Some of you all have tiny wrists....LOL!!
I'm guessing that they have large faced watches. The current style is 42mm - 65mm wide faces. I don't have any that size, because the focus of my current collecting are the mechanical Marlins. But, I have asked for one for Christmas, so maybe my wife can pick me out a good one.

I just love the Timex Marlins. But, I don't wear them out as much as my Citizen and Seiko's.

@cosmicfolklore , I love your bracelet! You will amaze me IF you didn't design it (I'm guessing you may have made it, too?)!
thnx for the photos & posts,
mike
It takes me a long time to make all of the mechanical moving parts on a bracelet. Each link is handcarved. But, I have gotten faster at it this summer. I made six to take with me to the art shows this Fall, but then they cancelled most of the shows because of covid. I will most likely get them on my etsy page within the week. But, it is so hard to sell my work via pictures online. It is when my patrons hold one of my works that they can feel the weight, the balance, and the textural parts that really seals the deal.

I also make watchbands, for guys who want something really unique.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I'm guessing that they have large faced watches. The current style is 42mm - 65mm wide faces. I don't have any that size, because the focus of my current collecting are the mechanical Marlins. But, I have asked for one for Christmas, so maybe my wife can pick me out a good one.

I just love the Timex Marlins. But, I don't wear them out as much as my Citizen and Seiko's.
Probably, beside the RR watches, I’ll not get another mechanical or automatic after the Hamilton Khaki failed and the clock repair person was going to charge $200. I gave it to him.