PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here are a couple of World War One survivors. The first one shows how we got the wrist watch by sticking a pocket watch into a leather case and wearing it on your writer. By 1917 someone had soldered some lugs onto a watch and called it a 'Wrist Watch' and the rest as they say is history. Both of these keep perfect time and the black trench watch I wear all the time even if it is a little bit on the big side. I took the shrapnel guard off the watch so you can see the face.

thumbnail.jpeg

Here are a couple of World War One survivors. The first one shows how we got the wrist watch by sticking a pocket watch into a leather case and wearing it on your writer. By 1917 someone had soldered some lugs onto a watch and called it a 'Wrist Watch' and the rest as they say is history. Both of these keep perfect time and the black trench watch I wear all the time even if it is a little bit on the big side. I took the shrapnel guard off the watch so you can see the face.

View attachment 93289
Big faced watches are all the rage right now. Some are even a little on the ridiculous side, but these are fantastic.

One equipped with GPS Tracking functionality can.
Well, my fitbit had GPS, but it only allowed me to map my bike or jog. It didn't provide a in-real-time mapping feature. And, it only worked when it was synched to the device that could track it. So, someone else with a device not within 100 yards could not get my GPS stuff.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I haven't seen anyone with one for a few years now. Most just use the clock on their phones.
a lot of my coworkers use wrist watches. When cleaning a bathroom you have to let some of the chemicals sit on surfaces for a few minutes (conveniently about the same amount of time it takes to do the other tasks you have to do in the bathroom), so wrist watches are really popular. I just use my mp3 player and my memory of what songs are how many minutes long. Oh it's half way through this track when I finished spraying and now when this next song is done I can wipe it down.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I love mechanical watches and wear one daily. I find them to be very practical and not at all "just jewelry." In law, we bill in six minute increments (tenths of an hour) so keeping track of time is of the utmost importance, plus it's much more discreet in the midst of a meeting to glance down at your watch rather than pulling out your phone to check the time. As on occasional issue, some judges do not allow anyone other than court personnel to bring electronics into their court rooms, so watches are always handy on court dates. I also rely pretty heavily on the "date" function when signing documents (or instructing clients to sign).

This Seiko has been my daily weekday office watch for the past several years. I have a nicer watch in mind that I intend to pick up at some point, but have had a hard time convincing myself to shell out the dough when I am so happy with this one:

IMG_6989.jpg

Here is a 7-jewel hand wound Elgin made in the 1920's that I wear once in a while. It keeps great time for how old it is, and of course it was recently serviced, so it is in tip top mechanical condition. It runs about a minute or so fast by the end of the work day after winding it up in the morning - better fast than slow.

IMG_6827.jpg

I've got several others as well. I'm wearing the Seiko today so I snapped a pic, and just happened to have a picture of the Elgin on my phone.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I do have one practical use for a watch you might find allowable. I'm a massage therapist and over the years I've had battery powered clocks in my treatment room crap out on me maybe 4 or 5 times mid-massage. There are also times where I just can't turn my head far enough to see the clock for an extended period, depending on what work I'm doing. Timing down to the minute is important, especially with a tight schedule of 6 or 7 appointments, so I took to wearing a wristwatch on my belt such that I can glance down at any point and read the dial. Checking a phone is frowned upon during a massage and requires a free hand I usually don't have, so my solution has actually saved me a headache quite a few times.
Hey I think men should wear more jewelry. Heck if I had different job I'd wear nail polish. I can't though cause it would chip too much. And note my comment to Mr. E. Chasing. and how you don't want to keep grabbing your cell phone out of your pocket while wearing gloves you just touched toilet seats with.

• Haha
Reactions: Carol

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
I love mechanical watches and wear one daily. I find them to be very practical and not at all "just jewelry." In law, we bill in six minute increments (tenths of an hour) so keeping track of time is of the utmost importance, plus it's much more discreet in the midst of a meeting to glance down at your watch rather than pulling out your phone to check the time. As on occasional issue, some judges do not allow anyone other than court personnel to bring electronics into their court rooms, so watches are always handy on court dates. I also rely pretty heavily on the "date" function when signing documents (or instructing clients to sign).

This Seiko has been my daily weekday office watch for the past several years. I have a nicer watch in mind that I intend to pick up at some point, but have had a hard time convincing myself to shell out the dough when I am so happy with this one:

View attachment 93298

Here is a 7-jewel hand wound Elgin made in the 1920's that I wear once in a while. It keeps great time for how old it is, and of course it was recently serviced, so it is in tip top mechanical condition. It runs about a minute or so fast by the end of the work day after winding it up in the morning - better fast than slow.

View attachment 93302

I've got several others as well. I'm wearing the Seiko today so I snapped a pic, and just happened to have a picture of the Elgin on my phone.
I agree, I Love mechanical watches! I can’t do some of the dressier watches though as I typically require day/date like the SKX or similar. In every setting checking your wrist sends a message without being downright disrespectful.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I agree, I Love mechanical watches! I can’t do some of the dressier watches though as I typically require day/date like the SKX or similar. In every setting checking your wrist sends a message without being downright disrespectful.

I have an SKX013 that is my canoeing and kayaking watch (and all-around beater/adventure watch). That way, my phone can stay in the dry bag, and I still know how much daylight I've burned while out on the river.

Watches, watch repair, and watchbands for men are still the number one thing keeping most jewelry stores open. The JA association reports that still about 60% of all American men over the age of 18 rely on a wristwatch for their timekeeping needs. 45% of all women.

The God's honest truth is that I absolutely hate smart phones. I listen to vinyl mostly, but yet I still have over a thousand CDs, and I use a portable MP3 player in my car. Anything I can do without swiping that godforsaken screen on my iPhone, I will use.

Watches also come in handy for different things. It is a great way to blow someone off that is wanting to stop to talk to you. Just keep looking at your watch while they are talking, then just excuse yourself and walk away.
It also comes in handy when you are lost, looking at your watch can get you out of lots of awkward moment. People will just think you're late, instead of whatever else is causing your anxiety.

Watches are a LOOOOOOONG way away from being obsolete. Sure, I can see some using their phones for keeping time. That's valid. But, as I said above.... anything that saves me from opening up my iPhone, I will cherish.