PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
An example of why never to buy a fine watch online except from a trusted seller:

Guess the price?

IMG_7062.jpeg
IMG_7061.jpegIMG_7060.jpegIMG_7059.jpeg

It comes in four dial colors, delivered.

The cost of the raw materials alone of any watch that’s not solid gold is next to nothing.

A watch costs what the skill and labor of the maker provides, plus a profit margin.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
$13.30 CDN Drew!
They vary from $6 to $8 depending on dial color, postpaid.

You can see they have the oyster case,

Waltham likely made the first really accurate-more so than many standard Swiss mechanical wrist watches today-15 jewel watch in 1883.

Rolex came out with the oyster case in the twenties.

Hamilton made the Elvinar mainspring in the early thirties.

The Swiss came up with the Incablock protection system in the thirties and Rolex and other Swiss makers perfected automatic wind in the fifties.

And if only accuracy is the concern, for almost fifty years now a quartz movement is dirt cheap, and lasts almost forever, a lifetime and then some.

With watches the more you pay the better you get,,,,if you truly get what you pay for.

But a good quartz watch is $10 and a good automatic starts at $100. The extra goodie for the extra dollar is extremely expensive.:)

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
A really nice overview of the Seiko line

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A good mechanical watch is a testament to a man craving a little toy he can carry around with him to admire, for centuries.:)

For a century or two they were so imprecise they didn’t have an minute hand.

Then in 1857 Waltham made the first industrialized watch, which sold for a hundred dollars.

In 1883 Waltham improved their movement, and made 5.4 million 1883 model watches over the next 37 years.

I own a 15 jewel Crescent Street grade 1883 Waltham made in 1892 in a Hunter case, that’s been keeping railroad time for over 130 years.

But it’s hardly worth anything, because it’s a railroad grade movement in a Hunter cased watch.

I own another 1903 Waltham 1892 model 23 jewel Vanguard in a Hunter case that has a lot more cool factor, but is not worth much more nor does it keep better time. Once you get about two seconds a day or less, it’s hard to improve accuracy.

Those old high grade watches would cost a fortune today, if duplicated.

We are all quite happy with the Swiss 2824 or any of the legion of Japanese or even Chinese clones or homage movements that average about 15 seconds a day.

One advantage of the Seiko, Citizen, and Orient automatic movements is they beat six times a second instead of eight.

More beats per second has more accuracy potential, no argument.

But I own two Seiko automatics that have kept good time for over twenty five years without service. The tiny improvement in accuracy potential of a high bear watch requires more frequent cleaning, oiling and adjusting which today is usually more than a replacement new watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grangerous

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
My Hamilton auto/Khaki stopped after 17 years and the cost to repair, over $200.

I do like the new Frogman. I also like the Casio Frogman models.

A new one runs 500-700 depending. I just got mine back from repair after sea water got in it.

hamilton.png

hamilton2.png
I love it because I have any strap color under the rainbow to throw on it.

omega.png

But I also love my moon watch..

omega-moonwatch.png

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
A good mechanical watch is a testament to a man craving a little toy he can carry around with him to admire, for centuries.:)
Mechanical Movements are the pinnacle of 19th century technology. Taken as far as can be perfected. -2 to +2 seconds accuracy in 24 hours, for a mass produced machine is that shining achievement. It’s Astounding.

Both my Tudor and Rolex are - 0 +. It amazes me. The Omega does just as it claims, Metas. +0 - 5 seconds in 24 hours but it’s never slow. My example gains +5 in 24 hours. Luck of the draw with time pieces.

I know it’s a small study, but from it I make the premature inference that the Rolex brand in house movements are truly amazing time keepers.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Mechanical Movements are the pinnacle of 19th century technology. Taken as far as can be perfected. -2 to +2 seconds accuracy in 24 hours, for a mass produced machine is that shining achievement. It’s Astounding.

Both my Tudor and Rolex are - 0 +. It amazes me. The Omega does just as it claims, Metas. +0 - 5 seconds in 24 hours but it’s never slow. My example gains +5 in 24 hours. Luck of the draw with time pieces.

I know it’s a small study, but from it I make the premature inference that the Rolex brand in house movements are truly amazing time keepers.

I’ve read about Rolex movements.

I own a 1894 production Hamilton 935.

As you said, plus or minus two seconds was an every day, run of the mill Hamilton, and the others hit that standard as well.

But there was a lot of hand regulation to achieve that. The parts were not as consistent.

Since then there’s been a few advances, the one that helps accuracy the most is the Elvinar mainspring.

The machines Rolex uses to make watch parts are much better. Their standard is +1/-1 and they likely hit close to zero all day long. They have to do some hand regulation.

What fascinates me is anything the Swiss can do the Japanese can duplicate and do it cheaper. And eventually the Chinese will do that to the Japanese.

My Orient Star Classic looks like it cost a zillion dollars, it’s beyond beautiful. Basically it’s a fifties pie pan Omega with a bubble dome, all stainless.

For almost a year now it is exactly, every day, 14 seconds fast.

To send it away to be timed would likely cost about the $340 I paid for it.

Orient has some well trained robot assemblers.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

The Chinese sell a three hand 1/10 second chronograph with four working dials, GMT and tachymeter, for $14, postpaid. They claim a Japanese movement.

Accurate to 20 seconds a month.

IMG_7066.jpegIMG_7067.jpegIMG_7070.jpegThe leather band may cost the most to produce.

The most miraculous time to ever live is today.

Which is not going to be as miraculous as tomorrow, or the day after that.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
  • Haha
Reactions: Briar Lee

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
s-l300.webp

$39/USD

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have more old shotguns and pipes and pens than watches, but not by a whole lot.

But a fairly close replica of one of the world’s most desired watches, the Rolex Daytona, is only $62 for an Invicta Speedway.

IMG_7110.jpeg

IMG_7139.jpeg
It has an $18 Japanese stopwatch and GMT hour hand movement

IMG_7138.jpeg

Guaranteed for three years, 30 day returns, sold by Jomashop.

Paul Neuman paid $210 for his, that sold a few years ago for 17.5 million.:)

My new bauble is in in the mail.

Buying Japanese movement quartz replicas of famous watches doesn’t cost much, you know?

No it’s not a Rolex, but it has the innards of a Seiko, and I have a 45 year old Seiko quartz still ticking away.

My two other Invicta watches are replicas of a Speedmaster and a Grand Diver, with Seiko NH35 A automatic movements and solid link bracelets.

To re band one with an Invicta brand bracelet might cost more than to replace the entire watch. A brand new NH35A movement costs $35.

IMG_7140.jpeg

I don’t see how these things are are cheap as they are new.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee did you ever get those Seikos from India?

It’s a $18 rebuilt Citizen, on a slow boat I suppose from India. Still in transit,

IMG_7149.jpeg

IMG_7148.jpegIMG_7147.jpeg

It has a full return guarantee.

When you feel blue, think about having to buy and rebuild a watch and sell it on the other side of the world guaranteed for $18.:)

Or course, the shipping to India might be more than $18.:)

Attachments

• IMG_7150.jpeg
    IMG_7150.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 0