PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You mean like how we do?
Yes and no. We can manipulate that information in none logical way, or simply lie. AI can base their answer on what it considers to be true. Unless it's programmed to provide false in all situations. Everything so far AI, like any computer software is based on binary function. But what if there is other way to go about doing it?

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Yes, but that is why these aren't real AI. They are not learning, just sort of randomly generating words and phrases. This sort of thing impresses some folks... I guess it impresses billionaires enough to buy them, ha ha.
I think you're right, Cosmic. This thing isn't "learning" (yet). When it does, then maybe we can start getting paranoid?

I do think it could provide some comic relief, albeit short-lived and unintentional. ChatGPT does NOT seem to have a sense of humor, or realization that fictional characters aren't real.

1675462154164.png

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
This stuff is ridiculous and horrifying at the same time. Jobs that require mechanical evaluation of data should feel threatened--for example: hedge funds and stock managers. If (in the future) anyone can rely on AI to invest, what does that mean for wealth and inflation. This is gonna change absolutely everything.

It might not be thinking, but it can process and access more information than any individual or group of individuals on the planet. Remember how quick people forgot what life was like before smart phones? iPhone was only 2007.

I remember when every truck I passed had a sticker saying put down your phone, then in five years, every pickup I passed, the dude was staring at his phone. In ten years the world will be unrecognizable even without AI sentience or creativity. Artificial general intelligence is unnecessary to disrupt absolutely everything. Approaching the singularity will prove to be as disruptive as passing through it.

The thing already communicates better and with better accuracy than at least 50% of the population.

Also, try communicating with more specificity, I bet it will provide more informed answers (and it will "learn" from it).

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Reactions: Singularis

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A big 10-4 to that.

It would be outright funny if it was just a gag or college kid's experiment.

It's quite the opposite, though:

So strange...I didn't even see this thread before commenting on the other one just a little bit ago....was just watching that earlier. Funny that someone thought to ask it about tobacco lol.

So AI is WOKE...what a surprise...what a sick joke.

Reactions: Singularis

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
So strange...I didn't even see this thread before commenting on the other one just a little bit ago....was just watching that earlier. Funny that someone thought to ask it about tobacco lol.

So AI is WOKE...what a surprise...what a sick joke.
The AI isn’t “woke“, but the vast amounts of data it was fed to “learn” how to answer complex questions and prompts has a bias, because the internet has a bias, which is easily demonstrated by simply doing a Google search on any controversial topic, which puts its thumb on the scale in a certain direction (I won’t say which).

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Before this discussion goes off the rails (hoping it doesn’t), I just want to say that I created this thread for fun’s sake, because I was really curious what info it could regurgitate about pipe tobacco. Try asking it the best way to pack and light a pipe.

Reactions: yanoJL

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thing is, they are also working on learning capability. It starts with wrong response. But with so many…
But who/what is the teacher? Garbage in, garbage out, as they used to say. The internet is the largest collection of bad information ever created. It long ago supplanted human thought with it’s ability to serve up dubious answers to any question. This chat bot just automates the collection and dissemination of patently bad information and puts the misplaced seal of approval on it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
But who/what is the teacher? Garbage in, garbage out, as they used to say. The internet is the largest collection of bad information ever created. It long ago supplanted human thought with it’s ability to serve up dubious answers to any question. This chat bot just automates the collection and dissemination of patently bad information and puts the misplaced seal of approval on it.
Which is even more dangerous. Nothing good will come out of it.

Reactions: woodsroad

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
It's definitely not "woke," though that narrative is being pushed so people can rally against it. Rather, in properly done evaluations of the thing, it produced varying results, and sometimes even refused to provide results. Oftentimes, it refuses to produce results because they are informed by ethically violent and socially abusive discourse, and it is unable to parse these elements effectively, so it just drops the procedure. It is not woke at all. I'm sure if it were addressed with political issues, not highly enflamed with vitriol, say from politics pre-Clinton era, it wouldn't have nearly as many hang ups... but, also, there is notably less material for it to draw from.