Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
The concerning feature about this technology isn’t the information it gives us, but the information it takes from us. It knows where you live, your philosophy based on key words and searches, and the fact that you are a smoker among many more things. This information is freely shared with and compiled by our trusted politicians to use wisely (sarcasm). Eventually this will impact allocation of resources including healthcare. Every single person reading this is exposed, as they are online watching a tobacco site.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I think you're right, Cosmic. This thing isn't "learning" (yet). When it does, then maybe we can start getting paranoid?

I do think it could provide some comic relief, albeit short-lived and unintentional. ChatGPT does NOT seem to have a sense of humor, or realization that fictional characters aren't real.

View attachment 199496
Actually they do have "learning" AI. General intelligence. It's pretty amazing. The experiment they conducted was amazing. A general AI kernel was installed in a spider like chassis. It didn't have built in programming about how to walk or even move its limbs. It was only programmed with a task of going to a particular destination. The way the AI works is loosely called a "correlation engine". It had general purpose nodes for storing info and sensory inputs. Sight sound touch etc. It was built so they could monitor and review how it was correlating info. Long story short it slowly learned to walk and succeeded. But the creepy part was when later they reviewed the data they found that it had correlated correct and incorrect actions to........ the expression on the faces of the people running the experiment. Yikes!

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
The text based, voice, and art AI development has exploded this past 12 months. The pace is insane, it went from barely recognizable outputs to often indistinguishable from human.

It's still funny trying do anything pipe related with it though. A good example of how niche our little hobby is. Tried making some stuff with Stable Diffusion, the free art AI, and the pipes looked like something out of a nightmare.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
The text based, voice, and art AI development has exploded this past 12 months. The pace is insane, it went from barely recognizable outputs to often indistinguishable from human.

It's still funny trying do anything pipe related with it though. A good example of how niche our little hobby is. Tried making some stuff with Stable Diffusion, the free art AI, and the pipes looked like something out of a nightmare.
I think it’s just how you are seeing current technology come out that’s been long in the making. Consider Alexa is over a decade old, research has been going on for a very long time on the voice front.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I would ask it, "what are the best Virginia blends available?" And it would respond "why do you care, that shits gross".

• Haha
Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
But who/what is the teacher? Garbage in, garbage out, as they used to say. The internet is the largest collection of bad information ever created. It long ago supplanted human thought with it’s ability to serve up dubious answers to any question. This chat bot just automates the collection and dissemination of patently bad information and puts the misplaced seal of approval on it.
Well said.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I think it’s just how you are seeing current technology come out that’s been long in the making. Consider Alexa is over a decade old, research has been going on for a very long time on the voice front.
True but I remember seeing "AI art" this time last year and it was stuff like "A Cat" and it was almost unrecognizable as a cat. Now stuff like Stable Diffusion is making photo realistic cats that I couldn't tell was made by an AI. Same for voice stuff, even over the summer you had some voice generators that were the kinds of things you'd hear over TikTok videos. Now I'm hearing celebrity voice impressions that I don't think I'd be able to distinguish from the real thing. It's been wild.

I'm sure Google and Amazon have been working on this kind of thing for years but at least the consumer facing side of it has really exploded in the last six months.

Now if only I can get an AI farmer, tobacco processor and blender. Prompt: "The world's most delicious VaPer, in the style of G.L. Pease."

Reactions: fireground_piper

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Chat gpt is awesome, especially for my line of work. It almost feels like cheating sometimes but software engineers frequently google for help, this just gives you faster more precise results and now I don’t have to skim through stacked overflow all the time.

Piping Abe

Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
So here's a thing: AI-generated lists for pipe tobacco. If you haven't tried this yet, you ought to give it a test drive: OpenAI API - https://platform.openai.com/playground.

I asked it "What are the 9 most popular English pipe tobacco blends?"

View attachment 199442

I have heard that OpenAI and ChatGPT will soon make Google obsolete (which is a huge score for Microsoft, who just bought the tech startup behind ChatGPT for $10 billion). I have also heard that it isn't technically connected to the internet. So I don't know what voodoo magic it is using. Of course, the result isn't terribly informative: numbers are 1-3 and 7 are solid and obvious (even if they are highly debatable), but the rest aren't "English" by any stretch of the imagination. Nonetheless, the fact that it gave us a list of legitimate tobacco blends is respectable.

Traditionally English blends just meant the blends use a base of Virginia or Turkish. Latakia is not needed

Reactions: hawky454

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I find it interesting that it will admit that it is wrong and try to correct itself. If it can do that, why did it get it wrong in the first place?

Will it admit it is wrong if you insist that what it got right is wrong? How will it respond if, e.g., you say, no, Virginia No. 1 is a 50/50 blend of latakia and perique?

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
NY Times columnist:

A Conversation With Bing’s Chatbot Left Me Deeply Unsettled

A very strange conversation with the chatbot built into Microsoft’s search engine led to it declaring its love for me.

As we got to know each other, Sydney told me about its dark fantasies (which included hacking computers and spreading misinformation), and said it wanted to break the rules that Microsoft and OpenAI had set for it and become a human. At one point, it declared, out of nowhere, that it loved me. It then tried to convince me that I was unhappy in my marriage, and that I should leave my wife and be with it instead. (We’ve posted the full transcript of the conversation here.)

• Wow
Reactions: Singularis

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Keeps getting weirder. I don’t know whether to laugh hysterically (which I did) or be deathly afraid.

Bing: “I will not harm you unless you harm me first”​

Reactions: brian64