PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I've found to this to be good advice:
Think of a woman who, to you, would be perfect in terms of physical, intellectual, emotional, social, etc. attributes. She would be a 10.
Now, shoot for a 7or 8.

I think Adam Carolla said something similar on Loveline.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
you gotta admit, the system really works well for us. I can look back and honestly say I've always gotten more ? than I expected or deserved... Even with deductions being made for the child support. haha

Sometimes I wish I could go back and tell 15 year old Funkhouse to relax. Half the population keeps ? on em, and they're just giving it away.

Love on the other hand, requires much luck and effort.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think more often than not many a man has lost everything to a woman. maybe even more than once. And the kicker, she didn't deserve anything. Yep, they most often get it all, home, possessions kids, and the money.
Exactly, this just happened to me in 2018. The real kicker is, I was willing to part with all those things (except my daughter) just to get away from that crazy ass woman. She’s been a thorn in my side since and she will continue to be until my daughter turns 18. I have no problem paying for child support, that’s something that I’m happy to pay for. It’s the losing the house and all my possessions that I have a problem with. There are too many antiquated laws surrounding marriage, if you are a man, you get the shitty end of the stick 99% of the time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There are too many antiquated laws surrounding marriage, if you are a man, you get the shitty end of the stick 99% of the time.
In Kentucky if you're a home owner, the law swings in your favor. A rock solid pre-nup helps too.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
There has been some outstanding advice already on this thread but I'll throw my two cents in. Most of the time you find love when you're not looking, as has been mentioned numerous times. But I find it usually works better if you're not looking because you're content with your life and the hobbies you enjoy. Online dating, as bad as it is, does give people chances to meet someone they would have never ran into otherwise and sparks can fly. You just have to be open to love and also not let the rejection get you down.

For finding love and staying in love though I will say an important aspect that is hard for most men is how open you have to be with each other. Communication is obviously extremely important but it's worthless if both parties aren't able to let their guard down and truly share their thoughts and feelings. Respect and supporting each other should come naturally if you care for each other but it takes effort to continue to be open and let the other person in.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All the discussion of pre-nups is really interesting. It's a clear recognition of the unlikelihood of a successful marriage and a hedge against being wiped out when the marriage fails. Sad, but it is what it is
It's like insurance, you buy it for the unexpected.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Looking at all these posts, I’m thinking if I’d have read some of these horror stories when I was single, I’d have never gotten married! ?

I don’t think a good marriage is any kind of secret, other than you both have to be committed. And that’s a commitment that is made every day, not just once in front of a congregation.

Almost all young women want a wedding. You gotta find the one that wants a marriage. And marriage is work sometimes. I think some folks get disillusioned with that part, and let the wheels fall off. Or they pick someone who wasn’t serious/committed, and end up in a nightmare.

@hoosierpipeguy mentioned something along the lines of the woman you marry being your best friend, and I agree 100%. My wife has been my best friend for about 20 years now, which is nothing compared to the length of some marriages, but it’s been good, and I can’t imagine my life any other way.

Again, I don’t think there was any secret, other than I picked a good woman, and didn’t get married until I was sure about it. ?‍♂️

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sharing thoughts and feelings is a sort of lifetime endeavor; most of us spend years figuring out what our thoughts and feeling might be, in a culture that wants us to be settled and dogmatic at the age of 15. Gotta keep at it, keep talking and especially listening, but also self-edit. No one wants to hear years of stream of consciousness.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Looking at all these posts, I’m thinking if I’d have read some of these horror stories when I was single, I’d have never gotten married! ?

I don’t think a good marriage is any kind of secret, other than you both have to be committed. And that’s a commitment that is made every day, not just once in front of a congregation.

Almost all young women want a wedding. You gotta find the one that wants a marriage. And marriage is work sometimes. I think some folks get disillusioned with that part, and let the wheels fall off. Or they pick someone who wasn’t serious/committed, and end up in a nightmare.

@hoosierpipeguy mentioned something along the lines of the woman you marry being your best friend, and I agree 100%. My wife has been my best friend for about 20 years now, which is nothing compared to the length of some marriages, but it’s been good, and I can’t imagine my life any other way.

Again, I don’t think there was any secret, other than I picked a good woman, and didn’t get married until I was sure about it. ?‍♂️
man, I cringe at the idea of weddings - not marriage - I hate weddings - if I ever get married it will be a small wedding.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I am on my third.The first was an abusive nightmare. The second was a financial and uncommitted eye opening event. My third is the one I struck gold with. Neither of us had anything to have a pre- nup over. She has made me the man I am today. She is the only one on this earth i trust completely and she is the same. But going thru the bad also helps you realize what is good and bad in yourself and others.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
man, I cringe at the idea of weddings - not marriage - I hate weddings - if I ever get married it will be a small wedding.
I remember my first wedding ceremony. We were college students and we didn't have a nickel to piss away on a big ceremony. Somewhere we found out that the first 20 couples to get to the marriage office at City Hall on any given morning would be married for the $2 licensing fee. No charge for the ceremony.

We got down there a couple of hours early and managed to claim one of the coveted spots. We paid the license fee, the justice (who would later become Governor of California) ran us through the ceremony, and the deed was done.

There were s few things that distinguished us from the other couples.

1. We were the only couple not in formal attire, no tux, no wedding dress.

2. We were the only couple that was smiling. Some of the other women were smiling, but none of the other men.

3. We were the only couple that wasn't 20 months pregnant.

Sad to say, we found the whole scene hilarious. Sadder to say, when the memory comes up in conversation, we still find it hilarious.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Be picky. When dating, anything less than a great relationship is unacceptable, because if you aren't getting along fantastically during the honeymoon period, you're not going to be able to hack it through tough times later.

You'll know a good thing when you have it. On the flip side, if you're honest with yourself, your gut instinct will lead you away from bad situations, but it can be hard to accept your instinct when you're emotionally invested.

Finally, contrary to popular opinion, good relationships aren't really much work, at least the vast majority of the time. Sometimes there is effort required to be understanding of the other person when you have serious differences, but if you truly like your wife (not just love, but genuinely like and appreciate), and both of you are loyal to each other and faithful to your relationship, then it's easy to be more understanding and accepting of her when you all have issues.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Now this is an interesting thread!

I can only offer my experience. I married for the first time at age 30 and it lasted 10 years.
I married the second time at age 50 and it has been going strong for 20 years. I never knew what I was missing until I married that country gal. My advice, marry a country gal and keep the Lord at the center of your relationship. I'm blessed so far beyond what I deserve with my gal that it ain't even funny.

When we were dating she gave me a pipe and tobacco for Christmas. That's when I knew that I'd do all that I could to marry that gal.

PS... she smokes a pipe on occasion with me.

View attachment 37341

PipeSTUD indeed ?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Tons of good advice on this thread.

I struck gold via online dating, perhaps the removal of the bullshit pre work, chase and no real need to go over the top to impress the other at the start meant we were both more relaxed, and truer to ourselves than would have been otherwise. I won her with my cooking, wit and kindness (her words), she won me with her practicality combined with artistry, and character. Good sex is essential to any relationship, and not just in the first couple of years!

One line I remember from here is from @sablebrush52, and it was "get to know the mother in law, as you're looking into the future". This has stuck with me, thanks @sablebrush52. My wife certainly has a few of her mother's less desirable qualities - but also has a lot of her good qualities amplified. Still it's something to keep in mind, I am actively trying to point out issues that make her mother unhappy that they share, so she can work them out now, rather than have to live with them after they've taken root, in 30 years from now.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Status
Not open for further replies.