PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
Try Rattrays Marlin Flake?If you like Salty Dogs I think you would also enjoy Marlin flake. Both blends are sweet and dark with a small amount of perique. Also Rattrays Hal o The Wynd is worth a try.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
It's just the notepad app on my iphone. I keep ongoing lists of my favorites by style, so that I can maintain my ridiculous delusion that one day I will be able to trim my cellar down to only the favorites.
I respect and pity your admirable delusion. I used to do the same thing hahaha!

Reactions: ofafeather

Enemygod

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
Try Rattrays Marlin Flake?If you like Salty Dogs I think you would also enjoy Marlin flake. Both blends are sweet and dark with a small amount of perique. Also Rattrays Hal o The Wynd is worth a try.

Awesome, thanks for recommending something based off the list I provided. I actually have a 100g tin of Rattrays Marlin Flake (they were sold out of 50g tins), so I'll move that to the top of my "next to open" list.

I'll take a look at Hal O The Wind on TobaccoReviews!

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Perique forward but not strictly VaPer : GLP Haddo’s Delight. Captain Earle’s Honor Blend, C&D Five O’Clock shadow. All a bit on the stronger side.

On the brighter side might be Solani 633 (stock varies), McConnell Folded Flake.

Keep in mind that many of the blends that you try might benefit significantly from aging, even a few months in a jar. Also significantly from drying before smoking.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Blends that haven’t yet been mentioned that I enjoy and would fit the bill for you:
GL Pease Stonehenge Flake
H and H Viprati
H and H Aj’s Vaper
Daughters and Ryan Rimboché SJ and rimboché AP

I also prefer Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake to HOTW, but I think I’m in the minority.

Last but certainly not least, give that Black Frigate a try in 6-12 months. Whenever I first tried BF, I liked it, but didn’t love it. After 9 months in the jar, the Lat and the rum toned down a bit and the Virginias became smoother and richer, and it was absolutely delicious.

Enemygod

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
Blends that haven’t yet been mentioned that I enjoy and would fit the bill for you:
GL Pease Stonehenge Flake
H and H Viprati
H and H Aj’s Vaper
Daughters and Ryan Rimboché SJ and rimboché AP

I also prefer Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake to HOTW, but I think I’m in the minority.

Last but certainly not least, give that Black Frigate a try in 6-12 months. Whenever I first tried BF, I liked it, but didn’t love it. After 9 months in the jar, the Lat and the rum toned down a bit and the Virginias became smoother and richer, and it was absolutely delicious.

Thanks, I will add these to the list! i placed the blends on my do not like list in jars and pushed them to the back of the cellar. Escudo has been in there about a year, but i just set Black Frigate in there a few months ago. Cant wait to give it another try in a few months.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I will also add that TNT and FOMO are dangerous diseases that will drain your bank account, take up space in your house and drive you generally mad (I speak from experience). There are tons of great blends and sometimes I don’t really get to know a blend until smoking a good deal of it but then I move on to something else and often don’t come back to it for a good while. Sometimes finding a few blends that you can make into staples while occasionally supplementIng with others can be really rewarding. I’m sort of forcing myself to do that now bc I have put it off for so long. Focus on things that are currently easily available. YMMV.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
The tobaccoreviews website has a search engine where you can select all the ingredients you want and un-select all the ingredients you don't want. There are a lot of other options available. I have found it very useful.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Basic boy answer here: I always come back to Escudo. I stock up on St. James Flake whenever I can, I have a bunch of Stokkebye Bullseye/Navy Flake jars in the seller, and I try out new tins of Va/pers whenever I can... but Escudo is always the ol faithful plow horse waiting for me at home. Plus the local shop sells it.

Status
Not open for further replies.