PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enemygod

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
I've mostly been smoking Latakia blends since I started pipe smoking almost 2 years ago. I've tried some Virginia and VaPer blends early on, but didn't really develop a taste for them. Over the last few months I've decided to try and find some that I enjoy. So far I have found 2, so I am looking for recommendations based on what I've liked and disliked so far. Any help based on this list would be greatly appreciated!

From my list it looks like I enjoy more of a fruity or stewed fruit profile and don't care as much for strong upfront hay or grassy notes.

Liked very much:
Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs (My favorite so far)
KBV Verge Engine Overdrive

Enjoyed, but did not love:
C&D Carolina Red Flake with Perique

Did not care for:
PS Bullseye
PS luxury Navy Flake
Escudo
C&D Black Frigate

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I like:

In stock:

Watch City Cigar - Old Dominion
Watch City Cigar - Flake #558 (Less perique than Old Dominion but still very good.)

If you can find:

Samuel Gawith - Cabbie's Mixture
Samuel Gawith - St. James Flake
Watch City Cigar - Rouxgaroux

There's some others but they're ever harder to come by (unless you want to order from overseas).

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
I am halfway through a tin of Dunbar. Lots of folks give it four stars. But some others think it's boring. My experience so far is that it's pretty amazing if smoked slowly. The spouse likes Dunbar not as much.

Reactions: kg.legat0 and dcon

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For blends that are readily available I would try the following.\
Solani 633
Escudo
Peterson Navy Rolls
The Navy Rolls are very similar to Escudo. When they were Deluxe Navy Rolls made by Dunhill I found them sweeter than Escudo which had more pepper to my tastes. I have both fully stocked in my cellar. They age really well as does the Solani. Fresh I enjoyed the Solani a little more than the other 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.