PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I still don't blame Esterval's.
This looks to me to be a problem with USPS and it is one that USPS should investigate.

Good luck if you've insured something that gets lost. USPS doesn't always honor their "insurance".
Actually, I write adjustments for our local post office when artwork or jewelry gets reported damaged. It doesn't pay much, but when you want to collect from the post office they will ask for a letter from someone in the field to be submitted... usually it is just a local person that sells or ships things to say that whether the thing was packaged appropriately or not. Most people just give up. But, you can get anyone to write these. The local UPS store always send them to me because the owner knows me. The letter just adds wait to the claim and expedites the process.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Please explain your reasoning based on the evidence presented in this and the earlier thread.
1. Esterval shipped the order as promised and as they have successfully shipped orders to you in the past, they have the correct address.
2. It cleared U.S. Customs and Customs talked to you and showed evidence that they did not order the package returned to them and the package did not show tracking that USPS sent it back through Customs.

Now that doesn't mean that Esterval is innocent of bad customer service. Everything you've posted is an example of that.

Reactions: seanv

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’d just like to note that there are lots of sellers in the United States that use the same language with foreign buyers, disclaiming any responsibility once the package has left American soil.

These are the vagaries of international retail. Everyone has to be careful and try to mitigate what risk they take.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
?....No plan's on ordering with Esterval anyway. Now I have ordered (Last week) from Cuban Lou's on Cuban cigars (Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2, San Juan and just shipped out Montecristo No.2). No issues in the past 10yrs.

CubanCigars.png

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Christmas 2015, USPS lost my rent payment. Got the number of some customer service office and got someone on the line, threatening to go ballistic to their every senior in the organization if I they didn't resolve the situation. Something in my voice was convincing. They found the check.

That must have been after Wilford Brimley's tenure as Postmaster General or you would have likely been renditioned.

Reactions: saltedplug
Oct 7, 2016
If Estervals doesn't want to assume responsibility for delivery, they should quote and sell as FOB shipping point Let the buyer arrange pick up and shipping.
EU says you can’t str
Bottom of the main page, Information -Shipping link

That’s their position. Right, wrong, or indifferent. There’s no International Court of Shipping Disputes to take it up with... And unless your CC company sides with you, your SOL.
View attachment 46486
I read it. No customs issues involved. Language does not cover Jesse’s situation. There is absolutely no prohibition on shipping pipe tobacco from Germany to the US. If it is a dutiable item, Customs assessed no duty.

Again, it is Estervals reaction to the initial dispute, compounded by their complete failure to eve respond to a reasonable proposal for resolution, that I find baffling. It just seems completely out of character.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I ordered my Directors Cut from Esterval's in March.It arrived at my address I think in May-June time frame,during my absence.I do thank my lucky stars.No hard feelings towards Estervals.I'm not wearing their shoes.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
This is news to me. I know about Cuban cigars but Cuba is an embargoed country. Germany isn't. Do you have links?

Tobacco is a highly regulated and taxed commodity. Not only between States, but especially between Countries.

The US imposes an excise tax on imported tobacco, as do States. Failing to pay the taxes is a violation of law.

Quantities of tobacco are allowed to be imported into the US if it is purchased outside of the US and declared when brought into the US. If the quantities exceed the threshold then you must pay duty on the excess.

The focus lately has been on seizing illicit cigarette trafficking from outside the US, which is a source of funding for groups who are terrorist organizations.

So, while a quantity of tobacco shipped from Germany isn’t embargoed as is the case with Cuban cigars, the amount you can legally import is limited to a certain amount and frequency.

Links? I’m not here to do your due diligence. Claiming ignorance of the law isn’t a defense, either.

Reactions: seanv and warren
Status
Not open for further replies.