PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Prior to the 12 (or 13)-year hiatus I smoked mostly briars.
Ironically, it's a loaned corn cob that returned me to pipe smoking.
I loaned it as a prop for a dark-country gig with no intention to actually smoke it. But I had some free time while on tour, a loaned cob and a small zip-lock with a few drams of unknown flake. And those were the best 45 minutes of smoking I ever remembered.
Even more ironically is that although the number of my briars has tripled since the return, I still don't own a cob :ROFLMAO:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've always thought that pipe preferences are similar to tobacco preferences. Some hobbyists just can't find the appeal of Latakia despite many efforts. Some can't find appeal in Perique, or Burley, or Virginia, etc. I'm one who never got along with Meerschaum or clay pipes. Cobs are fun smokes to me - on occasion. That worn out old saying, "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke," is so true.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I mostly smoke briars too but mainly for aesthetic reasons. The original cheap plastic stems on cobs are practically useless but throw a $20 forever stem on one and they become a different species. Can't deny that I love the wide open airway, have way fewer relights, much drier smoking with less dottle and practically no concern about the abuse or neglect it may receive. Other than that, I don't like them either and won't be caught dead smoking one.

Cosmic is that you?
No, but it is good to see someone disagree with the whole "cobs are the best" notion, and not get curb stomped to smithereens by the cob lovers. Times have changed.

I don't like them either. And, I don't denigrate those who do... and, for you cob smokers out there... denigrate means to put down or "talk down to". ;)puffy

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Same, I don't really care for them either. I chewed a hole in the stem of mine in a few days, and I just didn't like how my tobacco tasted in it. Now I use it for what I call my 'chaos mixture', all the bits I dried to pack but didn't fit in the pipe. Love the shape though, a Devil Acorn

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
when i first started smoking i looked down on cobs. i saw them as cheap and ugly and I always held pipe smoking as a more regal, elegant way of enjoying tobacco which therefore necessitated a fancy smoking device. i of course spent lots of money on briars before circling back to the cob and giving it a try. i realized i absolutely loved them and wish i had not waited so long to dive into them. currently have a custom briar being built for me as we speak. however i completely understand your opinion and to each there own. as long as the pipe in your hand makes you happy thats all that matters.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This is the most civilized Cob discussion (ever). Come on guys, where is the passion? The chest thumping? The bravado.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Some blends work better in a cob for me then my briars and meerschaums. I have a MM Diplomat that smokes Dark Flake Scented like a dream and a Mark Twain that I enjoy ropes in.

I don't think I could ever go strictly cobs, but certain shapes/models do have their merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.