PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
I have a Thin Bite that smokes fine and looks dashing. I don't know enough yet to complain.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So many good buys out there! In no particular order:

Kaywoodie - especially the pre WW2 pipes which were actually high grades that were more pricey and more popular than the Dunhills of that time. One hundred year old briar that was air cured for years before being turned.

Butz-Choquin

Ehrlich - one of my best smokes!

Brebbia

Edwards

Bertram's

Nording

Bjarne

Arley Curtz - excellent pipes!

Sasieni Mayfair - I enjoy my Mayfairs more than any of my 4 or 8 dots

Aug 1, 2012
French GBDs don't get as much love as they deserve either. I have a Sablee and a Mountain Club that hold their own.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
GBDs are great pipes especially the old French ones, I just acquired a Bentley pipe that smokes perfect and have not seen anything on the forums about Bentley's; the same with Fe.ro pipes there cheap, around $40-$50, and smoke great, but yet again what do I know I've only been smoking for two years so I may be wrong.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
@ Brewshooter - I have two Nova Brylons. I bought them when I was young and inexperienced (okay, two years ago) and they were rack queens until somebody here urged me to try them. I was surprised - not a great smoke, but decent. Enough to earn a spot in the glovebox of the truck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cynyr, that's a brave stand for the Brylon pipe. Brylon has the hot-bowl problem of the clay pipe without any

of the colonial charm. I guess as long as you remember to hold it by the stem after you light it, it can be

managed. I'm a little surprised, since Brylon is synthetic and has been around for a half century or more,

the manufacturers and patent holders haven't figured out how to insulate it at no, or little, extra cost. For

a car pipe, or other similar purposes, the MM cob reigns supreme. With so many really well made briar pipes

even at the low-low end of pricing, Brylon is a tough sell. But since you can use them, more power to you!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Invicta is never mentioned, but the one I have is an excellent pipe.

DSCN0531.jpg

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
Bari gets mentioned from time to time, but I'd certainly put them in the under-rated category. A Danish brand similar to Stanwell, in my opinion they're at least as well made.
Yup, I inherited a couple of late '60s or early '70s Baris from my father-in-law, and those early Baris are excellent pipes, I think machine-made but finished by hand -- the two I have are rusticated, and excellent smokers.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
+1 on the Ascorti Radice Caminetto Business, Harris. Have smoked each of mine in past few days, first time in approx. 40 years, and yes, they are wonderful smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Eriksen and Bari -- I have one of each -- both excellent. The Bari was a gift thirty plus years ago, and it looks

about new, despite regular use. The Eriksen is solid; it's semi-rusticated bowl has a slightly factory look, but

who notices? Invicta's always intrigue me, handsome pipes. Chapuis-Comoy are inexpensive but good solid

briars in traditional shapes. The zulu/yachts have a jazzy shape, if you can ever find them in stock. I caught

one from one of our sponsors -- tobaccopipes.com.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
This is a great post. I'll use it to learn from you folks as to what "under rated" pipes I might consider buying on eBay. Through this post, last night I read about Wally Frank pipes. I then went to eBay and low n behold they have a few for sale. I will be bidding on one or two for certain.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I think the name 'Chap' is a very underrated pipe brand. I have two and they smoke beautifully. Here's a couple images of mine.
newer16.jpg

newer2.jpg

Barontini is another really nice brand.
B4.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Beautiful weather for walkabout, one happy boy is Levi and and equally happy boy is moi with an exceptional smoke of Three Nun's from the 80's in the Amorelli Sea Urchin. If you find one of these pipes, grab one, it is truly underrated and not at all pricey, PRM #8 strong and black, Khave, getting prepared for Nordic Walking Class.
9354274290_74f981440a_z.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've just discovered two "unknowns" that have turned out to be really good pipes so far. One is a Gianni, bought

for me as a gift in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. I don't know this pipe, but somewhat assume it is Italian. It's

a nifty compact bent smooth billiard, light weight but with an ample bowl, just a nifty good drawing well-made

pipe. The other is a PTM Amadeus, made in Greece with Greek briar, extremely light weight, not a beauty but

well made and well balanced. Mine is a straight pot, good thick bowl walls. The stamp is faint and only says

"deus," but the pipe is solid as a rock. I've only seen these at Iwan Ries, but perhaps others will pick them up.

I think Greek pipe makers are trying to develop the market and are doing especially good work to do that.

They only need to improve the stamping of their brand name, embolden the stamp, to remind people who makes

these good pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
roth, do you know if Edwards pipes are the owner or subsidary of Benton pipes? There seems to be some connection,

but I can't pin it down. I know Bentons (also excellent underrated pipes) as house pipes for Iwan Ries.

Status
Not open for further replies.