PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
+1 with mso489 on Britannias - they're lightweight, smoke beautifully, and available at great prices from both pipesandcigars and CupO'Joe's.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I fell in love with my Yello-Bole Chesterfield. Picked it up in an estate lot with five other pipes (only one other that is still in use, the others were junk) a six-pipe rack and a two-pipe ashtray. Great lot for $36 and I was sold because of this Chesterfield, the rack and ashtray. The picture is from after I cleaned it up. Unfortunately the stem was broken a few weeks ago but has since been sent out for repair. Can't wait to have it back in my rotation again. Can pack a mean bowl in it.
yellochesterafter-600x448.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Whilst I'm a big fan of Pre-Trans Barlings, in particular Pre-War, as well as '20's and '30's Dunhill shells, amongst other money pits, I'll happily submit that there are wonderful pipes which will deliver as good a smoke at a fraction of the mazoolah. You may not get hand carving, unique design, or drop dead gorgeous grain, but those don't affect the smoking performance.

Kaywoodies are spectacular, especially the early '30's pipes, which were high grades and just about ruled the known world at that time. Definitely one of the best values in estates.

Bjarne are very, very good. Ehrlichs are excellent pipes, as good as anything I've smoked at a fraction of the cost. I don't know if Bertrams were mentioned here, but they are amongst the best that the US has ever turned out. Brebbias are great!

So admire those pipes costing hundreds or thousands of dollars, and get just as good a smoke for dozens of dollars instead.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm also fond of the Alphas. Only have one, but it's a nice smoker. Got a couple of ancient Iwan Ries house pipes that are nice, too - dunno if they were made by Benton then or not. I am in early stages of PAD, and am looking at a couple of Ries pipes.
Speaking of house pipes, I have a couple of old (1970s vintage) house pipes that I greatly enjoy. One is an old apple from Campbell's in East Lansing, that I must have bought in about '72. It cost me $10 then, and smokes great.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
French pipes in general. I have a Cellini pipe formerly made in Chicago and I also really like my new Johs Bulldog and a Capitello estate buy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
easygoer, I agree French pipes have a nice balance between style, good workmanship, and price; I like

my Chacom, BC, and Jobey. Likewise, I like my Johs, nice Danish pipes at a reasonable Danish price;

I have an extra large apple; a straight bulldog with a saddle stem; a freehand tomahawk, and a blast

diplomat, all Joh's.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
haroldt,

It's an Amorelli Bent Panel Bulldog with laser etching from their penna de St Michele line, I call it a Sea Urchin, it's a wonderful smoker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jud, Iwan Ries still offer a selection of house pipes as Iwan Ries Exclusives, at their web site. They have

handsome, very traditional examples of bent and straight billiard, compacts, and a few others. I have

four, and all have proven out.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I second the mention of Randy Wiley as a wonderful smoker. A little pricy but a great smoker. Another pipe not mentioned because they also are a little pricy are the Claudio Cavicchi pipes. I have five of Claudio's pipes and every one is a beautiful smoker however you do not hear his name much.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I just ordered a Bentley straight dublin from pipe and cigars.

It had the best dublin shape in my price range.

And Bentley seemed to be reputable per my little internet research.

I predict this little babe magnet will deliver many happy smokes.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I will add a local Michigan favorite, the Cayuga brand, manufactured and sold at Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan. Oil cured and has Paul's 'magic cake', so break in is quicker. I own three of them.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
PS Studio pipes! They are never talked about....price range from$190 on up to $400. Great pipes from Russian pipe maker Grechukhin and two pipe makers under his supervision. Great artisan pipes for a reasonable price

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
For me one of my go to pipes is a Lorenzo Marida with an acrylic stem. 9mm filter pipe, good size, cool smoke, and I think I paid about $50 for it. If I come across some again I won't hesitate to snap them up. Big Ben is also another favorite I don't hear much about that are among my favs.

tims

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
Just got a pipe of e-bay labelled "tinderbox" . The yellow dot and "screw" on tenion make me think its a willard, nice and it was cheap .

Otherwise I have a few brighams (3 dot, 4 dot and presidents choice) all over 40 years old and purchased reasonably.

Status
Not open for further replies.