PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I picked up a couple of single dot Brigham's after they talk around here a while ago. They both smoke as well as my Savanellis and Petersons, and they cost a third less.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I picked up a couple of single dot Brigham's after they talk around here a while ago. They both smoke as well as my Savanellis and Petersons, and they cost a third less.
+1 on the Brigham. Love my Voyageur straight billiard!

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
My first pipe was a Butz-Choquin poker style, and it is still one of my favorites to smoke. At $80 at my B&M, I think it was a steal...

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I agree with Wally frank, especially white bars and british irregulars. Custombilts, Comoy and GBD seconds line, savory argyle(I dont think they are probably dunhill second), all seem to smoke great.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I concur with those that have said Aldo Velani. I have a superb 21st century model, flawless piece of briar, smokes like a champ and looks good too. I only have one BC, it is a very small hanger, but a good smoker. Great little pocket pipe. I think Mastersons are also great pipes, Israel made. Always nice grain and interesting shapes. I have an Oom Paul.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Add me to the list of Aldo Velani fans. I have 5 and they all smoke great. Very good bang for the buck.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I actually bought my Aldo from Batdemon, no idea why he sold it, it is in my pipe bag and has a place of honor. Smoked it last night as a matter of fact.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I'd add Bjarne to the list. The vast majority are in the $50-100 range, and they're good sized pipes with a nice variety of styles and finishes.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second the mention of Eriksen, the economy Nording line. I traded off the Nording I bought, but the

Eriksen is solid as a rock and a great smoker. They do not look impressive, but the fundamentals are

completely impressive. Lots of good suggestions here! I was especially interested to hear GiGi

recommended; I'm always attracted to those pipes, and apparently they have proven out. More? More?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Ooh, yes. Love bjarne. I bought my friend a Bj viking last week to lure him into the hobby. That, 4 oz of various baccy, pipe cleaners and a czech tool.
If we are going to grow this sport, we cant be stingy.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I'm obviously biased by being a cheap old sod at heart but I really second the nomination of the handmade Kaywoodies. You just can't find a cheaper pipe out there. They are often abused and found living in an island-of-misfit-toys style boxed lots or junk pipe piles. Will they make you swear you just saw a unicorn after you smoke a bowl? Probably not. But I personally believe most are just lumped into the junk pile so deep that even when pulled and smoked they rarely get the full love and attention of a real refurb job because they just don't command the presence the fancied names do.
Spend a few bucks and grab one. Clean her up and it will be functional. But if one removes the drugstore stigma and really pick one. Then spend the time or money and have it really gone through and it will be right there next to todays 100 dollar tagged rivals.
Sorta got off on a kaywoodie propaganda rant. My appologies. as always -Jmho

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
The following estate pipes are often under-rated, although the pieces I have smoke very well. I can recommend the following names, mist of which I've smoked at one time or other.
Astley

Wally Frank

Merchant

Mastercraft

Kaywoodie

Yello-bole

Erhlich

Edwards

Leonard's (OR)

Custombilt

Carl Weber

Dr. Grabow

GBD

BBB

Lowes

Comoy's Tradition

Comoy's Grand Slam

Comoy's Old Bruyere

Comoy seconds (I have smoked a number of these): Ace of spades, Astor, Ayres, Britannia, Carlyle, Charles Cross, Claridge, Cromwell, Dorchester, Dunbar, Drury Lane, Emerson, Everyman, Grand Master, Gresham, Guildhall, Kingsway, Lion's Head, Lord Clive, Hyde Park, Lloyds, Mc Gahey, Moorgate, Newcastle, Royal Falcon, Royal Lane, Scotland Yard, St James, Sunrise, Sussex, The Academy Award, The Golden Arrow, The Mansion House, The Exmoor Pipe, Tinder Box Royal Coachman, Townhall, Trident, Westminster, Wilshire.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
+1 Astley and Edwards from Kas and others.
I'd also like to mention Parker, supposed Dunhill seconds. I bought a Parker back in the 1990s, and it has just gotten better and better.
Tracy Mincer pot that I think is from the 1950s when they were selling for around $5. It was given to me by a colleague.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
kashmir, love my Britannia. Nicely styled Dublin with a broad flat rim on the bowl and a nice smooth finish.

It's double-barreled, but the pipe cleaner passes through both holes from the bit with no problem. And the

pipe is so light, I know the briar has been aged a long time. I think the pipe was about $65 new, and much

better than many well above that price. Dublin is my favorite shape, with billiard close second. Great list

of under-rated pipes there. I would add Tinder Box St. Ives, which I think was a Chacom. Also, tennsmoker,

I'll go with the Parker; just be aware a few have stingers, so avoid those.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I personally have several old (60's) Grabow's that I love and they never let me down.I also have a kaywoodie from early 50's that's my go to pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.