PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
About thirty years ago my friend Jack and I were waiting for a long line of over a hundred cars to leave the local poultry processing plant.

Jack munched on his cheap cigar and said to me:

Those people have about fifty years of wage slavery to look forward to.

I hate the do gooders that would deny them a cigarette and a beer.

It’s so much worse, now.

Today they’ll let them have lottery tickets and reefer, but they’ve chipped away at the other vices quite a bit.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I don’t know what you just said, Lee. But oh… okay.
What I said was do gooders don’t give a damn about ordinary people, who live their ordinary lives, and take a bit of comfort from a smoke and a drink.

Yet, they’ll legalize weed and let the poor get cheated on a legalized numbers racket.

The only people that are do gooders, can afford to be.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The aim in the long run is to dictate and control every aspect of your life.

Now that technology gives them the means to know what you consume, how you act, what you buy, and who you talk to, things are gonna move in that direction fast, too.
They know the road by which you came
They know your mother's maiden name
And what you had for breakfast
And what you've hidden in the mattress

Insect politics
Indifferent universe
Bang your head against the wall
But apathy is worse

--Don Henley

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I really don't understand the need of control in some of these people. I don't tell them what to do. Why do they feel they need to tell me what to do?
It's because control freaks typically fall into 3 overlapping categories: malignant narcissists, sociopaths and psychopaths. And the need for control is the most pernicious and destructive of addictions.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's because control freaks typically fall into 3 overlapping categories: malignant narcissists, sociopaths and psychopaths. And the need for control is the most pernicious and destructive of addictions.

Add Machiavellian to the mix and you get what's known as the Dark Triad.

It's not only nothing new, but what has driven human affairs since the dawn of human history.

Why society doesn't push the eject button on the creatures as soon as they're discovered is because their first order of Life Business is establishing control of the people around them, and they are (effectively) untouchable by the time they're discovered.

The fun part?

Secret police and spies and "rats" are no longer needed BY them. Citizens are willingly supplying that information (to a level of detail that's historically unprecedented) via the consumer products the buy and use.

Whoops

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
America gets to watch a brand new mass vice, legalized cannabis, get regulated.

As much as I despise government do gooders it will be utterly necessary to have extensive regulation of the cannabis trade as it’s always been necessary for regulating alcohol, tobacco, legal gambling, and even whole milk.

As soon as I climbed out of my crib I was old enough to realize that the government dairy inspectors that came to our farm insured my Daddy could earn a living producing Grade A fluid milk, for little school kids to drink at lunch.

The “libertarians” who search for raw unprocessed milk to drink are damned fools risking disease and death from milk fever and a host of other diseases that government regulations eliminated so people could safely enjoy cold, safe grocery store milk. Milk is as much of a luxury as whiskey or cigarettes and without regulation might be even more dangerous.

What’s needed, is nicotine addicted do gooders.

But what do gooders there are, seem to be as Prohibitionist as my old grandma was about demon rum.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
America gets to watch a brand new mass vice, legalized cannabis, get regulated.

As much as I despise government do gooders it will be utterly necessary to have extensive regulation of the cannabis trade as it’s always been necessary for regulating alcohol, tobacco, legal gambling, and even whole milk.

As soon as I climbed out of my crib I was old enough to realize that the government dairy inspectors that came to our farm insured my Daddy could earn a living producing Grade A fluid milk, for little school kids to drink at lunch.

The “libertarians” who search for raw unprocessed milk to drink are damned fools risking disease and death from milk fever and a host of other diseases that government regulations eliminated so people could safely enjoy cold, safe grocery store milk. Milk is as much of a luxury as whiskey or cigarettes and without regulation might be even more dangerous.

What’s needed, is nicotine addicted do gooders.

But what do gooders there are, seem to be as Prohibitionist as my old grandma was about demon rum.
This experiment will not end kindly. Nicotine does not produce psychosis.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My grandmother was a suffragette and a campaigner for Prohibition, during the 1910s. She wrote a comedic weekly column for The Index for about sixty years and wound up a household word in our area of the Ozarks.

During the middle seventies I’d take my girlfriends over to her house in order to show off that Ma Agee was my grandmother. She’d show them her young photographs and it was amazing to me how they’d bond beyond the years separating them.

By and large, good women have to tolerate their men gambling, boozing, and whoring around,,,,but women like tobacco, too.

There is really no argument for the commercialization of booze except trying to outlaw booze gave rise to criminals like my grandmother’s own brother John, who also kept prostitutes and slot machines.

My fear, is that legalization of cannabis will very quickly lead to displays of it beside the dollar bottles of cheap booze and dollar lottery tickets in every gas station.

And girls, later on mothers, will take it up.

It’s bad enough hairy legged boys having vices, you know?

Reactions: OverMountain

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Cannabis isn't evil or dangerous, but misinformation is.
I can surely see the hypocrisy in some states that allow cannabis smoking/vaporizing in public areas where tobacco use is banned.
However it seems to me, as pipe smokers and proponents of quality tobacco, our antagonist shouldn't be cannabis or it's users - instead the commercial cigarette industry of yesteryear that engaged in politics and meddled in medical research that has caused the contemporary backlash against Tobacco as a whole.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Bravo @bluegrassbrian. As one who enjoys both forms of pipe smoking, we do have more in common than we do differences. We need to be on the same side.

Reactions: FLDRD