PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Has anyone had trouble with the police, while smoking your tobacco pipe? Any misunderstanding about what you're smoking in it?

Years ago.. and it's funny how as you age, you have fewer interactions with them at all.. but years ago I was put in handcuffs and searched with a dog, because I had some grape White Owls in tubes. I was detained for paraphernalia.. then released after the dog failed to find my stash. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, that's a joke.. about the stash.

They should have bludgeoned ya, just for having a grape flavored cigar.

I answered this on that other post, but when I used to roll my own cigarettes, I've had to hand many a cigarette to an officer to have him smell it. I have had issues with officers pulling me over and asking me to extinguish my pipe, while not really understanding how to "put a pipe out" which caused me some headache. (I made a post about this last year). But, I look like an old man, (I am an old man) so if they see me with a pipe and my straw hat, they rarely ever ask me anything.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
nah I mean maybe if you were smoking a tiny little pipe and taking puffs and hiding it.. but if you're smoking a normal briar pipe and someone thinks there's weed in there they are beyond obtuse.
No problems for me. There is no hiding the smell of weed being hot boxed in a car out of a pipe, bong or roll your own. Ill just stick to pipe tobaccos. Although probably get way more police attention driving with a 3 ft bong in a car.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I think they leave me alone in my town because they just dont know what to make of me.. I'm walking confusion. 300lb man in a muddy 90's model Camry, a 2ft beard and a corn cob pipe, or a cigar.. leaving a cloud of oil smoke, while driving my sexy wife around.

But sometimes I fear I'm turning into Uncle Buck.

Here's me this morning taking my son to school.

download.jpeg-6.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the present climate, it occurs to me that there has always been something a little off, or worse, with law enforcement, acknowledging that it is one of the hardest jobs in the world, and even harder to do well. Even in my twenties, in the Navy, I'd go walking in Long Beach, along the beach, just to air out my brains from the claustrophobia of shipboard life. Cops stopped me on the beach, because I wasn't in a social group but just walking along. I patiently explained my situation, and I think I showed them my military i.d., and they didn't detain me long, but it felt like trouble brewing. They could have invented anything and matched me with any crime over past years. As a teen, I was stopped several times for my interest in the design of automobiles; any seventeen year old qualifies as a car thief. Anyone who is independent, introspective, and a little imaginative should maybe memorize the phone number of a good lawyer.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think they leave me alone in my town because they just dont know what to make of me.. I'm walking confusion. 300lb man in a muddy 90's model Camry, a 2ft beard and a corn cob pipe, or a cigar.. leaving a cloud of oil smoke, while driving my sexy wife around.

But sometimes I fear I'm turning into Uncle Buck.

Here's me this morning taking my son to school.

View attachment 40230
Uncle-Buck.jpg

We had a member here a few years ago that had their pipe broken by a cop because the cop insisted he was smoking marijuana in it
I must have missed that thread. But, if that had happened to me, I would have gone full-on Karen, and marched right down to the police station demanding his supervisor review that body cam, along with a print out of how much that pipe cost.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I must have missed that thread. But, if that had happened to me, I would have gone full-on Karen, and marched right down to the police station demanding his supervisor review that body cam, along with a print out of how much that pipe cost.
I agree. Also they have real shit to worry about here besides a pipe. Shit.. I've seen cops here look at kids smoking blunts and keep driving. When people are getting shot in the face some things don't matter.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
IIRC, the story went that the cop could tell he was smoking tobacco but stated that he couldn't be for sure that the pipe hasn't been used for marijuana or that it would be again. I'll see if I can find it.

What's Karen?

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ha!
I live in the Seattle area. Here, pipe tobacco is a rigorously regulated substance, difficult to buy at times, illegal to import and heavily taxed. It is generally unlawful to smoke it any place in public or near near the general population.
Locoweed on the other hand is widely available at well stocked retail stores.. People strolling down the street, blunts in hand, get no special attention.
Soon we may be forced to fill Swisher Sweets with Capstan Blue just to blend in with the general population.

Status
Not open for further replies.