PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I smoked through a tin of this a few years ago. It was ok. Didn't bite. No significant off-putting flavors. But for me, there are many VAs that outshine this one. I finished the tin but it didn't make the order more list. You mention a play dough-like flavor. I don't recall that from this blend, but absolutely remember thinking that about MacBaren's Navy Flake. YMMV

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Funny, I love C&D but not Sutliff…. And, I also find Dan’s Tobaccos to be dull. Veermeister and Salty Dog bores the hell out of me, with or without age.
Taste is a funny thing.
Salty Dogs is really good but it has to be the perfect dryness and in the perfect pipe. It's finicky stuff but worth playing with. I've found small narrow bowls work best.

I have a couple of 20+ year old cans Limerick. Never tried it but the reviews were ok. It won't get touched for a while.

Salty Dogs is really good but it has to be the perfect dryness
I’ve got about 20 pouches aging. But, I was disspointed when I tried it. Hot air with a hint of VaPer. I may check it again in ten years. I just get tired of these weak ass blends that you have to really focus with your eyes crossed to taste. There are better blends. And, screw plugs. Never had a blend that side by side tasted better in any way to me with a cut version. Plus, they waste my time having to prep them.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I’ve got about 20 pouches aging. But, I was disspointed when I tried it. Hot air with a hint of VaPer. I may check it again in ten years. I just get tired of these weak ass blends that you have to really focus with your eyes crossed to taste. There are better blends. And, screw plugs. Never had a blend that side by side tasted better in any way to me with a cut version. Plus, they waste my time having to prep them.
Thank you, my feelings too, don't get why it is so overhyped. Disagree on the plugs though, StJames, FV, and Dark Plugs are superior to their flake counterparts in my opinion - but it's just my opinion!

All of these taste very artificial to me. I enjoyed some of their English blends and that's it. Ascanian was alright too.

But i find C&D's approach completely different, in that they use very little casing so you get to taste the tobacco.
C&D has an approach, but it doesn't work for me, have had exactly two tins I managed to finish from the 15 I've tried, and neither will be bought again.

On Dan Tobacco, haven't tried much of their lineup, but StBernard and Ascanian No2 are VERY cellar-worthy for my tastes.

On topic, good to know, I've hovered over Fjord Viking Sword Slicers and the Beermaster but will likely pass now.

Last edited:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015

Hit and miss. I remember sitting outside in the morning in Monterey with a pipe of SDogs in a Becker Meer. It was one of those best of best bowls that happen occasionally. A very nice memory that I think of every time I cut off some slices. Monterey is magical. Probably has something to do with it.

Reactions: BROBS

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
Downriver Area of Michigan
Both Tordenskjold and Veermaster have, to my nose and palate, the same weird artificial chocolate-candy thing going on. They definitely weren't for me.
I decided to have another bowl this morning with my coffee. When I unscrewed the lid of the mason jar and took a whiff I did notice a chocolate note. I did not smell the chocolate note when I first opened the tin. I was surprised to find the the Play-Doh taste was almost unnoticeable to me; it must of just had something to do with cracking a fresh tin and smoking it right away without any air touching it.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I uncovered a half dozen tins from 2013 this morning while rooting around for something else. Also found some Old Ironsides, which I recall enjoying quite a bit. I'm snowed in today...perhaps I'll crack a tin today.
Snowed in with a tin of Old Ironsides sounds like the beginning of an awesome ranch/western movie. I'm a big fan of snow and Old Ironsides.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I decided to have another bowl this morning with my coffee. When I unscrewed the lid of the mason jar and took a whiff I did notice a chocolate note. I did not smell the chocolate note when I first opened the tin. I was surprised to find the the Play-Doh taste was almost unnoticeable to me; it must of just had something to do with cracking a fresh tin and smoking it right away without any air touching it.
Immature VA can have a play doh like flavor. Or sometimes similar to big red gum.