PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
Downriver Area of Michigan
First off, let me say this is my first time trying this blend. I just received it in the mail and popped open a new tin of Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices. The tin note smelled wonderful and the tobacco was IMO at the perfect level of humidity to begin smoking.

I packed my first bowl in an Altinay poker style meerschaum and fired it up. My first thought as I was retro-haling was whatever this topping is, it tastes like how Play-Doh smells. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I love the way Play-Doh smells. As I got deeper into the bowl, the Play-Doh taste was less evident but still there to a degree. The Perique is extremely mild.

I am enjoying this smoke and it definitely is one of the most unique Virginia flakes I have tasted. I am interested in how this blend will be after it gets a few weeks in a mason jar. Anyone else have any experience with this blend?

playd.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: woodsroad

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Play-Doh smells kind of good, as does library paste and low concentrations of boat exhaust, but I'm not sure I'd want them in a blend. Is the blend Virginia based? Do you know what the flavoring is or is said to be?

• Haha
Reactions: briarbuck

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I was testing flakes to load into my cellar, I tried this blend and for my tastes it didn't make the cut. It wasn't bad but I liked John Aylesbury Luxury Flake so much better, so I loaded up to around 150 plus tins on the luxury Flake.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I’ve found it to be very mild. I smoked several fresh cans of it last spring and summer, I have a stash of it aging I’d like to revisit again soon. The Perique I believe plays a small roll in it from my memory. Very grassy hay taste, citrusy like from what I recall. I enjoyed it and was easy to smoke.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I like Veermaster but I opened a 2019 bag and it was full of mold. They told me to fuck off.

but for the most part, no. Most has an odd taste to it and it’s all oily (is the best way I can describe it)
Somehow, I am now a fan of Veermaster. :)

I tried a can a long time ago and it was meh. Have a 20+ year old tin in the cellar I will break open one day.

I agree with Brobs though. I like Patriot Flake and Salty Dogs. The rest are not for me.

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Somehow, I am now a fan of Veermaster. :)

I tried a can a long time ago and it was meh. Have a 20+ year old tin in the cellar I will break open one day.

I agree with Brobs though. I like Patriot Flake and Salty Dogs. The rest are not for me.
How this one company can have so many shitty blends can only be juxtaposed by the American company C&D.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've not tried that particular blend but Dan Tobac makes some of my favorite blends including:

Salty Dogs
Devil's Holiday
Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
Ascanian #2

The Play-Doh comparison makes it sound interesting. I just might have to pick up a tin to try now.

Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
I've not tried that particular blend but Dan Tobac makes some of my favorite blends including:

Salty Dogs
Devil's Holiday
Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
Ascanian #2

The Play-Doh comparison makes it sound interesting. I just might have to pick up a tin to try now.
It might just be my taste buds and it also might be because I smoked it fresh out of the tin. I am going to let it rest in a mason jar; I'll try it in 3 days, a week, two week etc. and see what I think of it.

Reactions: shanez and BROBS

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
When I was testing flakes to load into my cellar, I tried this blend and for my tastes it didn't make the cut. It wasn't bad but I liked John Aylesbury Luxury Flake so much better, so I loaded up to around 150 plus tins on the luxury Flake.
You reminded me about John Aylesbury Luxury Flake; I've always wanted to try it and usually its sold out. I found some at WCC, I ordered a tin. I also ordered a tin of Hamborger Veermaster because I want to try that blend now too.

Reactions: BROBS