PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Is it the Yanks making the tobacco tax completely outrageous, didn’t we have a tea party over this once? WTH is going on around here anyway? the taxes are truly offensive…
Offensive you say?
Try Nanny State Australia where 50 grams of tobacco is now $140. :eek:
[No, I won't pay that on sheer principle]

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Offensive you say?
Try Nanny State Australia where 50 grams of tobacco is now $140. :eek:
[No, I won't pay that on sheer principle]
that's insane I ran a skateshop for a few years and skateboard essentials cost 3-4 times what they cost here and it seems ludicrous I mean where does that money go? It doesn't even make any sense.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
that's insane I ran a skateshop for a few years and skateboard essentials cost 3-4 times what they cost here and it seems ludicrous I mean where does that money go? It doesn't even make any sense.
It's just a cash grab for the coffers.

For several years there was an automatic indexed tax increase every six months.
Fortunately for me, when the price for 50g was $70, I found on-line U.S. tobacconists.
Ever since, I've been running the border gauntlet and have accumulated a reasonable stash of bulk blends. [Around 50lbs at a guess]
Choice of blends here is very limited so I'm grateful to have a variety of different blends.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
My wife ordered a pizza from our local pizza joint, and I volunteered to go pick it up.

I’d just stuffed nearly a half ounce of tobacco in my super giant WDC Wellington and got up to leave, and she giggled and laughed at my huge pipe.

View attachment 178382
View attachment 178383

There is a reason Peterson called their biggest pipes a house pipe.

Some pipes are just way too big to be seen in public smoking them.
I thought you only had Pipes by Lee ;-)
rotf

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
beyond group size ? is it stamped "OVERSIZE"?
The stummle isn't actually stamped anything. My interpretation is not 100%, its based off context and silver hall marks. I haven't really looked into it in a long time but the facts that I can recall are as follows.

Silver Hallmarks are english.
They date to either 1901 or 1903 I don't recall but predating the first "Dunhill" pipes (1904)
The makers hallmark is the hallmark (used prior to his tenure at dunhill) of a gentleman who was one of the early carvers employed by Dunhill.

This pipe could theoretically be one of the first LC's if not THE first. But that is a tall claim that I am not at this time able to prove inconclusively. At this time its just a very large LC shaped pipe that was made in England at the turn of the century.

Reactions: vosBghos

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
My wife ordered a pizza from our local pizza joint, and I volunteered to go pick it up.

I’d just stuffed nearly a half ounce of tobacco in my super giant WDC Wellington and got up to leave, and she giggled and laughed at my huge pipe.

View attachment 178382
View attachment 178383

There is a reason Peterson called their biggest pipes a house pipe.

Some pipes are just way too big to be seen in public smoking them.
Hey Briar Lee, the picture really puts the size in perspective. I am sure you got some strange looks from the pizza people. Most of pipe smokers do anyways but given the size of your pipe I presume that you most certainly did!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hey Briar Lee, the picture really puts the size in perspective. I am sure you got some strange looks from the pizza people. Most of pipe smokers do anyways but given the size of your pipe I presume that you most certainly did!
That's what I'm finding confusing about this thread. The pipe pictured looks on the average/small size.

Nplw6aI_d.webp