PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
Keep an eye on that tin on BS. The shitty quality of the tins C&D were using has caused a great many of them to rot and fail from the inside out.
Maybe it's time to move the contents to safer storage,
Are the new ones any better?

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
An
Yes, they are. The tins are lined inside to reduce this problem, though I don't know that it's been eliminated. Also, the problem didn't affect every blend, just a portion of them. I don't know if C&D uses food grade tins like McClelland did.
Yes, they are. The tins are lined inside to reduce this problem, though I don't know that it's been eliminated. Also, the problem didn't affect every blend, just a portion of them. I don't know if C&D uses food grade tins like McClelland did.
Another thing to ponder in the eternal tins or jar debate

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
An

Another thing to ponder in the eternal tins or jar debate
I opened all of my tins of Haddo's and bagged them. Aging, smaging. When Haddo's goes bad there's no coming back. It's trash can filler. Even the later tins, from 2011 and 2013, were showing issues at the solder joint because that part wasn't lined. Some corrosion was starting to form, so I'm happy that I didn't wait. That why I wrote, "lined inside to reduce this problem, though I don't know that it's been eliminated".
You buys your tobacco and hopes for the best.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are a few tobaccos that I truly miss, like Escudo, which exists only as a label on a substitute blend; Brigham's Klondike Gold, 759, State Express London mixture, McConnell's Rattray blends, Ogden's St Bruno among them. They're never coming back.

I feel the need to smoke something truly satisfying, so I'll load up a bowl of 5100. This one is a surprise, because I thought it was quite a snooze when I bought it, The years slumbering have brought about a wonderful intensification of flavor.

If you find something you truly love, don't screw around. Stock up. That blend could go out of production or be replaced by an inferior doppelganger.

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
I miss not being able to add more Peterson's Signature Flake to my cellar. It pains me every time I open a new tin knowing I'm getting nearer to the last. puffy

Reactions: Scottmi

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Dunhill Flake
Do you mean the Murray’s or original Dunhill versions? Because (and forgive me if this is old news to you) if you’ve smoked Dunhill Flake since the mid-2000s—when Orlik took it over—that exact flake is still being made under the Peterson name.

I actually enjoy the current iteration, but it’s been way too long since I smoked the Murray’s version for me to compare the two…and I was just beginning my pipe journey at the time, so I wasn’t paying attention like I should have been. ;) Case in point: Here are my notes from 1984: “Dunhill Light Flake is a Virginia flake that is very light tasting, though slightly harsh.” Brilliant, huh?