PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
TYM was on of their least popular blends, last to sell out IIRC. It was my buddy Bruce Weaver's favorite tobacco and I dedicated it to the most interesting pipe of his that I own because the tin reminded me of the lapis mortise insert.
why am i not surprised that *my* personal taste has to run to a least popular bend. go figure. and put that in context of how popular "pipe smoking" is.. sheesh. At least we still have Royal Yacht!
Bruce Weaver: sounds like a man of sophistication and taste, and someone I would like.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Which doesn’t make sense to me because it’s a solid Virginia blend with a light fruit topping. I have 5 or 6 tins left of it.

I would take 3 year matured over the couple fruit topped Virginia esoterica blends I have. Ratings are garbage.
I never really look too much at ratings. Reviews just make me think man everyone has such different senses of taste. Though I have a fondness for the reviews that would be more honest if they said I hate this blend I have no clue how to smoke it. (did see one that said nearly as much, well they said if they can't puff it like a freight train it sucks and if you can enjoy a blend that burns you if you smoke it like that you're a little girl). Honestly I think that review was written by a little girl who stole her moms pipes and tobacco.

Reactions: Coreios and Scottmi
I only remember TYM coming out in one wave, with absolutely no fanfair. It just showed up on the shelf at The Briary. I smoked one tin, and then bought the rest. It was pretty good, jut a good aged Virginia. It was never discussed here as far as I remember. But, I remember asking Skip if he was getting any more, and he just told me that it was a one time shot. I guess we'd call it a small batch these days. They just found some aged Virginias laying around and sold the stash off, and was done.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
When Dunhill quit in 2017 (with 18 month continuation for the manufacturers to finish with stocks, etc) the Three Year Matured is one of several blends that have not been continued/released under Peterson name, or by anyone else with any name as far as i have been able to determine.
You’re not looking hard enough.

McConnell has released their “Heritage” range of Dunhill clones, which includes versions of 3-Year Matured, The Aperitif, Durbar, Baby’s Bottom, London Mixture, and more. My suspicion--and I haven’t yet tried any of these to compare them with the STG equivalent—is that these may actually be the Dunhill/STG recipes, now produced by K&K. I can’t help wondering if K&K bought the recipes but were not allowed to use the original names.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThermionicScott

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA

McConnell has released their “Heritage” range of Dunhill clones, which includes a version of 3-Year Matured.

i've not tried it but i have seen it. didn't seem like a match from what i read. have you tried?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
For me, there are two lost blends that have left lasting impressions:

A&C Petersen’s Curly-Cut Melange No. 410 and GL Pease’s Bohemian Scandal.

Reactions: Elric and Scottmi

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I never really look too much at ratings. Reviews just make me think man everyone has such different senses of taste. Though I have a fondness for the reviews that would be more honest if they said I hate this blend I have no clue how to smoke it. (did see one that said nearly as much, well they said if they can't puff it like a freight train it sucks and if you can enjoy a blend that burns you if you smoke it like that you're a little girl). Honestly I think that review was written by a little girl who stole her moms pipes and tobacco.
I thought the same thing last night. Watched a review of Mixture 79. He said flowers. I've had it several times; to me its straight up liquorish or root beer. He even compared it to Gawith. Peoples taste are so different.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

McConnell has released their “Heritage” range of Dunhill clones, which includes versions of 3-Year Matured, The Aperitif, Durbar, Baby’s Bottom, London Mixture, and more. My suspicion--and I haven’t yet tried any of these to compare them with the STG equivalent—is that these may actually be the Dunhill/STG recipes, now produced by K&K. I can’t help wondering if K&K bought the recipes but were not allowed to use the original names.

I meant to post this in another thread where you brought up the McConnell Dunhill clones: Jim's McConnell's Dunhill Clones Reviews. :: Pipe Tobacco Reviews - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/jims-mcconnells-dunhill-clones-reviews.66699/

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just a note that almost all of the names have changed since Jim’s post. They were originally much closer to the Dunhill originals…but apparently too close. (Watch City Cigar does a great job matching the new McConnell names to their Dunhill equivalents.)

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just a note that almost all of the names have changed since Jim’s post. They were originally much closer to the Dunhill originals…but apparently too close. (Watch City Cigar does a great job matching the new McConnell names to their Dunhill equivalents.)
Yep. My understanding is that when Dunhill announced their exit from pipe tobacco, K&K wanted to make real obvious what their matches were substitutes for, and then STG told them to cut that out since they planned to keep using the Dunhill names.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I don’t know what you’re reading, but McConnell themselves call it a clone.
thanks, btw, i have not explored the McConnell "Heritage" blends. Going to try their St. James Park to compare to The Aperitif! re 5 year... reviews that cite a mix of tans and dark (my tin of 3 year was all black) reviews that cite different tastes, and jiminks with "This gets three stars because it’s better, even though it’s not that close a match" But I'll give it a go. I even just found it in stock somewhere. Ordered!

Reactions: rmbittner

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
The one that I'm going to be REAL sad about is GL Pease Stonehenge. It's one of my all-time favorites and it doesn't look like it's coming back any time soon. I hope they revive it, but as of now, I'm going to have to make do with my meager stash.

The other that I really miss was McClelland's 2015. That was a great blend, especially in bulk, and it aged really nicely.

C'est la Vie!!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
The Dunhill that I wish that I could get is Dark Flake. I never even tried it until recently! Alas, to fall in love with one already gone.

In better news for you, @Scottmi -- PM me your address. You'll be doing me a favor -- get this crap off my hands ;-)
Good news for you is Dark Flake still exists, it just hasn't been brought to the US. Peterson Dark Flake was brought back in the UK market and currently available.