PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvs68

Lurker
Mar 15, 2015
Hi all,
As you know, I am brand new to this great pastime. I bought a few pouches of tobacco to test them out and see which ones I really like and would like to know how you guys store your tobacco. I currently just have them all in a large ziplock plastic bag but I'm in So Cal and I think the tobacco is drying out a bit. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
^^^ Me too on all the above. I have been putting the pouch in a ziplock so it is double covered/sealed.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I would suggest mason jars. I remember looking at the tray of a dozen thinking I would never be able to use all of them, only took about a month to fill them all up.
They do a better job keeping in the moisture.
Pouches you probably have a little more time as that stuff has a tendency to be a little more saturated with PG(propy glycol) to attempt to keep it fresher.
If going bulk or non-pouch I would suggest mason jars.(especially if new and planning to have multiple blends open at the same time.
Edit: Cosmic beat me too it. So changing it to +1 on the mason jars.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
This comes up all the time....mason jars will be your standard, and best answer. Yes, you can also do various airtight containers, keep them in a tin or pouch with saran wrap or foil etc....but no one here will argue that mason jars are a great, affordable solution.
My advice- sterilize in the dishwasher on high heat, let cool, fill with tobacco...it will keep a looooooong time in there.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mason jars are the traditional route. I have lots of them, and they work great.
Another storage route is Mylar bags. Mylar is a polyester (PET) film plastic that is used to make ziploc bags that present a much better barrier to oxygen and water than the standard polyethylene baggie. They are available in a wide array of sizes, quality and cost. The least expensive option are Mylar ESD bags, similar to what hard drives and memory chips are shipped in. They are available on eBay. We use these in The Box Pass to great effect, saving space and weight. I do not, however, recommend them for long-term storage. The zip seals are the weak point, and the mylar film is thin and prone to damage after a lot of handling.
There are much higher quality, thicker Mylar laminate bags available that are suitable for long-term storage. Do some searching here, and you'll find more discussions about cellaring in Mylar bags.
heavy-duty-mylar.png
"FoodSaver" bags are not Mylar, and are not recommended for long-term tobacco strage

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I use food grade plastic storage jars with bail lids. Seem to do the job for me. And I don't worry about breaking after drops. If I were looking to store for five years or so, I'd probably go with Mason jars as well, just because they're proven. Don't know if anyone has had long term experience with the plastic bail jars.
http://www.amazon.com/400ml-13-5-oz-Square-Bail/dp/B00I0BTMRI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1428436459&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=USA+plastic+jars++with+bail+%5Clids
Pax

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I'd suggest keeping the tobacco that comes in tins in their original tins. That being said, if you have bulk or opened tins you want cellar, I'd suggest Mason jars. They've never failed me yet. :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Unless the "original tin" is of the paint can-type, don't store your tobacco in it for any length of time. Once the seal is broken, they are no longer air-tight, and the contents will dry out, unless you live in a humid area where the Rh hovers around65%. An intermediary option is store the tin, with the tobacco in it, in a Mylar ziploc bag. I do this and it works, keeping the tobacco from drying out.
Long-term, the concern is more with oxygen. In order to go through the aging process, the tobacco must be in an air-tight container. A open tin doesn't fit the bill.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
As many have already noted, mason jars are the way to go. They can be used for long term storage and aging, or just to keep the tobacco blends that you have open from drying out. Mason jars are inexpensive. Yet, there is often some reluctance to take the plunge. Maybe beginners with a few ounces of tobacco think that they will never need a dozen jars? I dunno. There are other options, but it's hard to beat simple, old-fashioned mason jars. Take the plunge.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I back woodsroad suggestion towards the bags he linked to. I have stored tobacco in them now for 6 months and it hasn't dissapointed. I believe that a good sign that they are air tight is that you cannot smell the tobacco through the plastic no matter how strong the blend. This stays true after multiple opening and closings as well.
For long term and bulk storage I suggest the mason/jam jars.
j/B

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
For the mason jars I would also suggest to keep both regular 8oz and short 16oz on hand. The 8oz hold about 2oz of tobacco; the 16oz hold about 4oz. If you open a new tin and it doesn't strike a cord put it in the 8oz and work through it as you would. If you really like the blend and think would want in the rotation put it in a 16oz so you have a little more room to top off the blend when getting low and need to re-order/open new tin.

jvs68

Lurker
Mar 15, 2015
Awesome gents. I ordered some of the plastic food jars with bail lids. I can be a bit clumsy so stuff that won't break is always preferred.
Thanks!

Have you ever tried to break a Mason jar? It's not easy. I can hit them with a baseball bat over the backyard fence. Actually, I don;t think I've ever seen one break. They are designed to handle extremely high pressure and heat for surviving years of multiple uses in canning pressure cookers, which makes them virtually indestructible.
...but do what you want. Just don't forget the map, ha ha!!

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Here in the UK I buy Kilner jars, with the rubber seal and clip joint, which may be the same as Mason. I've had them for a year now and tobacco in them has stayed perfectly moist. Recommended. Plastic bags are fine for a short while. Once a tin or pouch is opened, drying out can be quite rapid so I'm very grateful for the advice re jars. I have about eight of them now, each with a different blend. Well worth investing in.

jvs68

Lurker
Mar 15, 2015
Cosmicfolklore, I rarely "try" to break anything, but wind up successful at it more often than I care to mention...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I would NOT store tobacco in a plastic jar unless I knew that the plastic was something akin to Mylar insofar as it doesn't off-gas, the plasticizers are stable and it is impervious to O2.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
There is also the "jelly jar" size made by Mason that are great for small quanities of tobacco that you may want to take to a pipe club gathering or to gift someone enough of a blend for them to get to know it. Just don't store any of your jars overhead above a concrete floor or you will find out how it is possible to break them. Just saying, nothing like that has ever happened to me. Nooooo.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Mason jars Mason jars and well Mason jars. I think they are the best. The only time I use bags or pouches are for traveling and giving away samples. The mylar bags look legit and if Dan is suggesting those I would recommend his advice. The plastic food jars I honestly have never tried them. I just don't like plastic containers with anything really. I am sure you will find something that works best of luck. I agree no high shelves for the mason jars....If you do I hope you have padded floors with carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.