4 Fresh Henri Sorensen Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the Tupperware style containers before, for carrying around my rotation. But, it does allow your tobacco to dry. But, whether they are good or not depends a lot on what your intentions are. If you are just going to carry your pouch full around or store it for latter. Or, age it. If aging the tobacco isn't your goal or depending on which blend of tobacco we're talking about, then hen maybe the plastic is best for you. If we're talking about 6 ounces of an aromatic that you just want to stretch out over a few months, then I don't think plastic would be an issue, especially if you are a heavy to moderate smoker. But, if you are looking for the effects of aging on a premium tobacco that you have made an investment in, then you might want to do a little research on permeability of the container.
Heck, even if you want to stash it in a coffee can, then good for you. Just let us know how that works out. Maybe we're wrong. What if just keeping it in a cookie jar is the best way? Someone just has to try it out.
I know a guy who buys pounds of aromatics and keep them in the freezer in zip-locks. He says it works for him. But, his goals and my goals for storage are different.
Just do what you think is best for your situation.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I also go with the kilner jar available here in Europe.I guess it's basically the same as mason jars, airtight and glass.I also use an old, tall marmalade jar. Thoroughly cleaned I figured that if it's able to store food its probably airtight. Cheaper than the kilner...

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Mason Jars are pretty indestructible, but I have canned with mason jars for 34 years ( gardening) they won't survive a tile floor, a solid tap in the edge, when the lid is off, from another mason jar, and a number of other freaky hits.

I wouldn't want to think how much weight my cellar would come to know, if I was still using mason jars for my tobacco. The weight for 50-75 lbs of tobacco in metal foil premium, heat sealed, mylars compared to jars is fractional.This is storing 4-6 oz per pouch style zip lock.. When I have time I'll check, but I bet it's 1/20th maybe far less! It is bulky, 3 medium plastic tubs from Wally world.
Food grade, premium, metal foil mylar, zips (heat sealed) like woodsroad is talking about, for my vote!

giripai

Lurker
Mar 25, 2015
Hello All,
I am a new pipe smoker. I have been seriously studying the forums for advise on the matter of storage.
I live in India, and I order online, no luxury of a local tobacconist here. Therefore, I order online, and mostly bulk blends from 4noggins - highly recommended :)!

Now staying in India, I have been looking for these mason jars, unfortunately, I have yet to find them. its quite expensive to order on amazon and ship it to india. the jars become more expensive than the tobacco.
Since I do order Bulk, I have been storing my tobacco in Lock & Lock Air Tight containers. Now ive been on their website and this is the description of the product http://locknlock.in/How_Its_Work.aspx
I would appreciate your inputs on this issue.
Mu second concern is that, say i store the tobacco in this container for about 6-8 months, and then one day i do find some good glass jars, if i transfer the contents, will i be harming the aging process of the tobacco?
thanks for the help in advance!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
As long as those containers remain airtight they should work just fine.
I've thought about your second concern quite a bit. I would guess that, since ageing involves aerobic and anaerobic processes, opening your container after a few months would just restart the process as you've reintroduced oxygen into the container. The tobacco would still age fine just not as quickly. Better to keep it in the plastic containers (still assuming the seal is airtight) until ready to smoke.

giripai

Lurker
Mar 25, 2015
Thanks for your reply ericusrex. I am still looking for some good glass jars.
If i do not get a mason jar, i think ill get glass jar with a good lid. and maybe wax the lid off.
this will help in making it perfectly airtight, i hope :)

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I use one for the tobacco in my regular rotation. It keeps it from drying out once the tin is opened. But for long term storage and/or aging every time you open the lid you introduce oxygen and the aging process has to start all over again. For what you smoke regularly they work fine. It is however far more expensive than the mason jar solution.

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Is it a bad thing I use a airtight seal plastic container? Been using it for 3 months with no drying out. Everything is just as wet as the day I stuck it in, save for some Lane Cherry, butt.. I left that one out sitting for a month on accident. Hoping tossing my cigar humidifier in with it fixes it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Do a little research on plastics, and you will find some things that you may not like. Most of the plastic used in regular old plastic bags, totes and the like is some form or another of polyethylene. Polyethylene off-gasses, it is O2 and H2O permeable and the plasticizers leech out over time. I also find that some of the flavorings used in pipe tobacco interact with polyethylene. There are toxins in Polyethylene that I'd rather not ingest. Acrylic (like Plexiglas, and a lot of the plastic bail top jars) has it's own problems, but I'm not a toxicologist, so I can't elaborate much. Mylar and other polyester plastics are non-toxic and food safe. Glass is absolutely non-toxic, presents an excellent oxygen and water barrier and lasts forever. In short, the only plastic that I'd store edible/consumables in over the long term, is Mylar. Glass is even better, but it has it's drawbacks in regards to weight and bulk.

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Oh, this is food safe. I made sure of that. I know better than to use much anything else. It's a light, easy to use, and rather large container. I could store 3 tins, 4 pouches, and 2 oz sealed bulk, and I still have room left over for at least 1-2 more tins along with a humidification puck, which shall be removed once the cherry is again moist. It has a air tight seal with the press of a button on top of the device.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Just because it is sold as "food safe" doesn't mean that it is. Read up on plastics. Some of the information on plastic toxicity sounds like hair-brained science, but a lot of those phobias have turned out to be true.

giripai

Lurker
Mar 25, 2015
Expert advice needed on this other method of storage....I live in a country where mason jars are not used. I was and still an using plastic containers. however, with so many people saying NO to plastic, I plan on Using Stainless steel boxes.
These are not air tight. I was thinking of putting a layer of insulation tape on the sealed area and then dipping the box in Wax. would that be a good idea?
The box is the perfect size of 2 oz storage and cheap to get. any expert opinion on long term storages ie 10 years plus.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Any used jar with a tight fitting lid will do. Just be sure to clean the lid well, or put a piece of aluminum foil between the lid and the jar. If you live in an urban area, you might find a food processing company willing to sell you a case of new jars and lids. Should be inexpensive.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Marmalade jars! :)

glass, metal lid, airtight. Just remember to wash them thoroughly

giripai

Lurker
Mar 25, 2015
This is the kind of boxes i am talking about.
ss2-600x298.png

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/13097/ss2-600x298.png
I will have to seal the gap and then use wax to airtight. However, is steel a good aging medium?

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
For some reason I am imagining steel would seep taste into your Baccy bud. Pretty much any metal you touch.. and feel free to try this, lest it has some kind of proofing, wax, paint, etc.. will leave a smell on your fingers. Try it with them. Rub your fingers on them and see if there's a smell. If not.. I don't see why not as long as it was air tight?

Bah ha ha, this is hilarious! If you cannot get glass... then all bets are off. Metals, clay pots, wooden crates, paper bags, try them and let us know what you think. Asking the forum for permission is what cracks me up. Sure, sure man, just put them in the metal bowls, and report back. Who knows, maybe metal is the newest craze.
And, I cannot believe that no one in some of these countries uses glass jars to make jams. That is about the saddest thing I've ever heard of. That would be grounds for revolution right there. I live off of my farm, and if I couldn't can foods in jars, I would die, well... or have to go to the grocery store and eat poisons like everyone else, ha ha!! Do you guys not still have small farms in your countries? Do they not sell jams, pickles, and olives and such in jars at the grocers?
I know, I know, people will suggest that you not use commercial pickle jars and such, but if there was no other alternative... you'd have to. Besides, it's mostly wives tales and superstition that keep people from reusing commercial jars. They work just fine for the most part, maybe not able to take as strong of a pressure in the pressure canner, but for tobacco, it should be fine. Like I said, if you had no other options.
All of the crap they sell at these vendors for tobacco, like plastic jars, gravity lids, ceramic jars, etc, are for short term storage of your current codger blend, for those that smoke one tobacco day in and day out, like my uncles used to do. It is really pointless for aging. But, Like I think several of us has tried to say, there is a difference between just storing your smoke and aging. If you are going to age your tobacco, the tried and true method is glass. Sure, There are no rules. The tobacco police won;t raid your cellar. Put it in whatever you want, and let us know how it works for you.

giripai

Lurker
Mar 25, 2015
Thanks for your "suggestions" cosmic.
I am not asking for your permission. as a new entrant to this hobby, I am merely asking suggestions and advice...
I live in India, I do not get mason jars as mentioned above in my earlier post. We DO get glass jars, however, they are not the ones with the silicon gasket 2 lid systems.

Since I would need to make it airtight, i thought of using wax for sealing the jar. Steel boxes are another storage types common in my country and i thought if any one had any experience, which they would like to share, would help me out.
Ive posted a couple of times, and have got helpful advice, and thats the reason i thought id ask.
I am glad you had a good laugh though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.