PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a wax seal was how my grandmother used jars, before the silicon was used. Use bees wax, and heat some out on a hotplate and roll it on with a small roller. I don't know where you'd get the roller now-a-days, but really the idea is to just melt the wax on the plate, roll it up onto a roller and then get an even layer around the inner ring of the jars lid. You want the jar lid to be room temperature, so the wax will stick. There may be more information on it somewhere online.
But, if you don't have an easy supply of glass jars, just buy tins. They come already sealed. Once you open it though, smoke it up. Or, do whatever your heart desires.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Mason Jars and the Plastic Clip Lock Jars, work well for me. I have never sterilized either. Never even considered needing to do that. I wipe them out with a paper towel and stuff it full. Am I doing wrong by not sterilizing?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Those stainless steel containers will work for long term storage, just run some melted bees wax up inside the lap. Bees wax will stay pliable and stick to the metal if it is clean, paraffin will crumble.
Or order up some Mylar bags from China. They deliver to India, I am sure.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Giripai, I don't think that you must have the 2 part system lids. I use an old marmalade jar with good result. It's airtight!

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Here's the jars being recommended -

http://www.freshpreserving.com/products/canning-jars

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm using the 4oz Ball jelly jars. They hold an ounce of tobacco, give or take. Perfect for me since I don't smoke all that much. I have 24 jars in storage and 4 go-to jars.

disciplewalk

Lurker
Jan 2, 2015
I use plastic zip lock bags for short term use (experimental blending or travel for business or vacation). I use mason jars for long term storage and I have one really decorative glass jar with attached lid and rubber seal (which my wife gave to me as a gift).

Peace

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is what I use to store my bulk tobacco and my open tins.

In this picture you will see 2 different types of containers. The opaque containers with the white tops are just a really good sealing plastic container that holds my open tins. My open tins will stay fresh in these things for over a year. I go in and out of them multiple times a day and my tobacco stays fresh, no matter what type of tin I put in there.
The second type of container is a high quality plastic that uses silicon gaskets. I have been using them for about 13 years now and have never gotten any type of plastic taste. The real advantage to these type are the silicon gaskets as those do not deteriorate even after 13 years. I used to use large glass containers that had rubber gaskets, but the rubber did deteriorate drying out my tobacco. I learned the hard way after opening a 2 pound container that was ten years old filled with CD Bayou Nights that went dry. I personally will never use rubber gaskets ever again. Both of these containers I buy at Walmart. The plastic ones that hold my tins come in a 4 pack of different sizes that cost 6 bucks I think. The containers with the silicon gaskets are not cheap. The 2 pounders cost 8.97 each and the big boy that holds up to 5 pounds cost 13.97 each.

bigvpipeguy

Lurker
Mar 13, 2015
I don't know if anyone touched on this but what about sun light in mason jars? Is it bad to allow sun light to be exposed to the tobacco?

dracul

Lurker
Jun 30, 2015
Giripai you can find a variety of mason jars and canning jars on various Indian websites. Storing pipe tobacco in plastic containers like Lock&Lock won't preserve your pipe tobacco as it will lose a lot of moisture over time and eventually ruin your tobacco. Plastic containers like Lock&Lock no matter what they advertise are not 100% airtight and cannot be relied on for long term storage. Here are the canning jars I've been using. They even have the option of Cash on Delivery. I've been using these Bormioli Quattro Jars. I find them better than Kilner as they are compact and carry more quantity at a lesser price when compared to Kilner.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/wonderchef-glass/1990700600

Status
Not open for further replies.