PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm at the age where being called a hipster can be taken as a compliment
rotf
I was complimented on my outfit a couple of days ago by one of the staff.
She had a chuckle when I told her that the shirt and jacket were a present from my younger son who took me clothes shopping (despite my protests). He insisted on picking the items because my wardrobe was "too dated".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I've aged out of the hipster category, so no, never that. Some might ask if I ever met Abraham Lincoln, since the public sense of history is nil. Then I can tell them how it was in the navy during the Trojan War.

I don't smoke in public, except maybe when I travel. Too many issues, and crazy people, out there. People have lost their social skills and sense of community, to a degree. Then I'll run into someone really kind, and I begin to worry that they are up to some scam.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I rarely smoke aromatics. But I keep a jar of 24 Karat and a designated pipe for when I smoke around others. There are some bars in the Woodlands that allow smoking. I get a lot of comments about how great it smells compared to cigs and cigars. Every now and then a girl will tell me about how it reminds her of her grandpa, to which I immediately reply... "Well come sit on my lap darlin and I'll tell you a tall story!" Which always gets a good laugh puffy

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
That puts you in the clear...I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a bald hipster. But then I could be wrong...the bald ones probably go full-blown steam punk.
If anyone is on Instagram have a look at “hipsters of New York” - that page is the gift that keeps on giving and makes me realise how much of a hipster I am not! ???

Reactions: brian64
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'd like get more into chewing tobacco taste of which I like quite a much,notheless my current jobs do not allow me to enjoy this very addictive stuff,( I'm mostly indoors or driving)and whats more important, molasses used in manufacturing traditional chewing tobaccoes will eventually cause significant harm to teeth and gums

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I appreciate that this forum is a pipe orientated forum, with a few cigar lovers on the side l, but how many people on here are general tobacco fiends?

I’m struggling to get away from cigarettes when I’m at the pub because people aren’t that accepting of me smoke king a pipe when I’m out - “you look like a hipster” etc.

Does anyone else get this or is it just me?
One of the most important things that anyone can learn in life is that what others think is not anywhere near as important as what you think.
If you suddenly found yourself living amongst Satanic cannibals, would you join in out of fear of what others thought about you? Of course not.
To thine own self be true.

Pipes got me off a 30-40 a day cigarette addiction. Quit attempts were torture.
Switching to a pipe made quitting much easier because a puff on a pipe was better than nothing.
It took around a week to transition, then it was easy.

Then I smoked cigs to satisfy cravings.
Now I puff on a pipe because it's enjoyable.
No longer do I crave.
Most of my blends have mild nicotine [Jim Inks reviews were a big help finding previously untried blends with mild Lady N]

My smoking habits have changed markedly. No longer do I 'have to' have a smoke. I'm content to wait to smoke when it's convenient and can go without for many hours and not even notice when I'm otherwise occupied.

The biggest difference between tailor-made cigs and pipe tobacco is that cigs have a staggering 300+ added nasty chemicals [some of which I'm convinced are more addictive than the nicotine] while pipe tobacco has none. [Propylene glycol is basically harmless]

The trick to get off cigarettes is to switch completely to pipe tobacco.
Although I do get looks from strangers, most reactions are positive.
Many are curious [probably because so few smoke pipes here] I receive plenty of smiles and when I do receive comments it's usually people saying they like the aroma.
At social occasions I make sure to smoke blends with a pleasant 'room note' so others can enjoy.

I've not had a cigarette now in over 11 years. I've not craved one since a week after the switch.
My only regret is not switching to a pipe much sooner.

Reactions: huckleberry

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I have to go outside, like just about everyone these days. I don’t mind this in summer but it can be murder in winter.
Not that it gets real cold here in winter but cold enough. Most of our pubs and clubs have an 'outside' area for smokers, usually walled in, with outdoor heaters.
It's warm enough when wearing a jacket.

Pazzerpipe

Might Stick Around
Mar 26, 2022
Liverpool, UK
If it has nicotine, I'll smoke it or chew it. Not much into snuff though. And, what others think? Who give a rat's patootee? I certainly do not. I wasn't put on this world to be liked or, heaven forbid, admired.
Believe it or not I despised cigs from childhood until I was 42 but as a 13 year old who's friends were all taking up smoking cigs I decided to try snuff. I rather liked it but my hobby didn't last long.

ZetoMegisti

Lurker
Apr 18, 2022
South Australia
I’m struggling to get away from cigarettes when I’m at the pub because people aren’t that accepting of me smoke king a pipe when I’m out
The expectation of a scene is a lowly and poor construct. The pub is a place to smoke a pipe. The pub is rooted in pipe culture and history and vice versa. This rejection and signalling other smokers belies some sort of other serruptitiousness. These folks are upset you are very much enjoying yourself freely in public, therefore their mind seeks a facetious projection for oneupmanship's sake.

Fire that big boy up and puff away, be an ambassador for the pipe today! puffy :coffee: