PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I see this as mostly a good thing. I've spent much of my working life in logistics in some manner. The more sources available for both raw materials and finished goods the better. Tobaccos grown in India, African countries, and some in South America, blended and shipped from somewhere in Asia, packaged in the US, with profits going to Germany or the UK feels right to me somehow.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
There's no secret. Cornell & Diehl is packaging for K&K in the US, while K&K is doing the same thing for C&D in Germany. So, yes, those Rattray's tins were packaged in South Carolina.

As for the tobacco, nothing has changed: literally where it's put into the tin. Great big boxes of tobacco arrive from Germany along with pallets of tins and such to keep everything perfectly consistent, and they're assembled here.

There was never a press release about packaging K&K here--mostly because it's kinda boring--but it's not a secret.

Sykes

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Until there is an official announcement as this is the first tin I've seen marked thus let's just say a major distibuter in the US. Birdies are whispering not shouting at the moment. I for one am excited to see more Rattrays, Robert McConnell, and hopefully Fribourg and Treyer. But I don't know about that last one.

BTW what/where is the date code not the bar code on that tin?
No date code that I can find.
Distributed by Laudisi.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There's no secret. Cornell & Diehl is packaging for K&K in the US, while K&K is doing the same thing for C&D in Germany. So, yes, those Rattray's tins were packaged in South Carolina.

As for the tobacco, nothing has changed: literally where it's put into the tin. Great big boxes of tobacco arrive from Germany along with pallets of tins and such to keep everything perfectly consistent, and they're assembled here.

There was never a press release about packaging K&K here--mostly because it's kinda boring--but it's not a secret.

Sykes
Thank you, Sykes.
If the empty tins are also imported, what are the advantages of this arrangement? Import duties?

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Thank you, Sykes.
If the empty tins are also imported, what are the advantages of this arrangement? Import duties?

Yes, but the other way around: US->EU import duties are high, so it made sense to have C&D packaged in Germany. K&K didn't have packaging capacity to do all of their own stuff, let alone adding in C&D for Germany (and some other EU countries) on top of that.

We were in a better place to scale packaging capacity at C&D, so we solved that problem by packaging for K&K here.

Sykes

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, but the other way around: US->EU import duties are high, so it made sense to have C&D packaged in Germany. K&K didn't have packaging capacity to do all of their own stuff, let alone adding in C&D for Germany (and some other EU countries) on top of that.

We were in a better place to scale packaging capacity at C&D, so we solved that problem by packaging for K&K here.

Sykes
I’m duly impressed with your drive to innovate and break the status quo. This is brilliant.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan

Sykes
I’m hoping there was at least one PowerPoint slide with the word “synergy” on it in the B2B discussions that preceded this arrangement

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I guess greater availability is a positive thing, but isn't K&K typically where blends go to be "reformulated" into something unrecognizable?
K&K is doing what they can but sadly with taking over production of so many blends some of the more unique ones were probably made as the best approximation based on what materials are on hand to produce the most blends in a cost-effective way. I have old and new F&T they seem to do pretty well I can't speak for McConnell and Ratrays.
I definitely noticed some changes in recent Solani but I don't even know how long they have been producing it.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho

Sykes
Thanks for piping in, I did not want to overstep is all. People and pipes get so bent out of shape sometimes.;)

(edit) So hey how are we gonna date these tins?

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
I’m duly impressed with your drive to innovate and break the status quo. This is brilliant.

Thanks! I should add--just to be maximally clear--that both directions all of the tobacco work is done by the factory it originates with. Nothing changes with the tobacco either way.

Distributed by Laudisi.

No. There have been no changes in distributors for these products. So Arango continues to distribute Rattray's, for example.

Sykes

Status
Not open for further replies.