PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Some may disagree, but I'm a huge fan of estate pipes
No disagreement there! Almost all of my pipes are estates. I have maybe 3 that were bought new! I really like pipes from the 40s, 50s and 60s so I tend to go for estates more often than not. A 1950s Kaywoodie in good condition can be had for $15 and it will outsmoke pipes that cost 5 times that.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jah, gave you a plethora of nice pipes to look at. I would consider one of those over a cob or a grabow. You want to give yourself the best opportunity to enjoy pipe smoking and a quality pipe is very important. I think of all the ones from Jah's list, this one looks like it would be a very good smoker.

http://vikingclubpipes.bigcartel.com/product/vintage-1960-s-irwin-s-by-gbd-dublin-864-estate-pipe
If it were me, I would spend the extra money and insure myself I am getting a quality pipe, and if for some reason you don't like it, you can get most of your money back with something like this.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/winslow/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=85504

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Although I can very well understand your enthousiasm about estates, I'd recommend a spanking new pipe to any beginner. You can buy a very decent new pipe for around $50. No traces of previous ownership in wear or taste and if you really like the hobby, go out and chase those great value estates. In order to assess and appreciate a good estate, it would be best if you'd smoked a pipe before. IMO, that is.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
it is like roth said, after lots of research... and..then you know what estates to buy. I am new to estates & sold half of them back on Ebay. Until I am as half as smart as as most people here, I like going to a B&M and seeing, feeling & knowing what I like. It is tough till I know what I want.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
hah, there's so much variety in the responses being provided! Some recommend estate pipes, others recommend brand new pipes, and others seem to lean towards gift packs, lol. I am a bit hesitant in regards to purchasing an estate pipe at this point simply because I'm not really that familiar with what i should do when i first get it and how I should be cleaning it, etc. I feel like a new pipe might be the way to go, but then again, what do i know. I'm not quite sure yet. decisions, decisions!

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
hah, there's so much variety in the responses being provided! Some recommend estate pipes, others recommend brand new pipes, and others seem to lean towards gift packs, lol. I am a bit hesitant in regards to purchasing an estate pipe at this point simply because I'm not really that familiar with what i should do when i first get it and how I should be cleaning it, etc. I feel like a new pipe might be the way to go, but then again, what do i know. I'm not quite sure yet. decisions, decisions!

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Yea, I just feel like I don't really know enough about the hobby yet to be able to purchase an estate pipe. Eventually I'll look into estate pipes more, but to begin with I think I'd just be a bit more comfortable with purchasing either a beginner/gift set pack or a new pipe with some sampler tobaccos. Anyways, I really appreciate the feedback you have all provided me with!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You may enjoy reading a short online book by Milton Sherman: All About Tobacco. It has a chapter on pipes and how to buy one.
ps. I think I'm in the minority here, but I favor starting out with a new pipe in the $100 range -- say, Savinelli.

Compared to what you'll be spending in tobacco during your first year, that's really not much money.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Are any of you familiar with ordering pipes (in this case, specifically corn cob pipes) from pipesandcigars.com? I'm probably going to end up getting a cheaper cob (like the Washington) and then use it and the cheaper dr grabow I got from ebay to sample different tobacco types. After that, I'll most likely invest in a more expensive pipe once i get a feel for what i do/don't like. Anyways, the Washington Cob is only around $5.50 @ pipesandcigars.com so I wanted to get some feedback from some of you about the sites reliability.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
P&C is fantastic. I've had numerous orders with them, and they ship quick and sell good stuff.
If you're picking up tobacco too, try some of the Hearth and Home lines.
Just to add: I have not purchased a pipe from them, only tobacco. But, they are a great seller, and I'm sure offer good quality pipes and have a fair return policy or whatever if you have a problem with the product

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Awesome, thanks for the input! I was just curious because a lot of ppl recommended corn cob pipes, but advised to get them from a specific site. I know that in P&C they are listed under Missouri Corn Cobs - didn't know if that mattered.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
+1 gray
Book, the people at P&C are fantastic for customer service and reliability. I have ordered many hundreds of dollars of products from them without worry. Don't forget to either order a tamper or make one. I have lots but actually use a spent .308 rifle cartridge case the most. Also, don't forget to order or buy pipe cleaners. A dirty pipe, even a cob, won't taste good after awhile. Wooden matches are also a good idea.
Welcome to the forum! Keep asking questions and we'll keep answering them. You'll find that if five pipe smokers sit down and talk, there might be 6 different opinions handed out. Part of the fun I suppose.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Morton - thanks! Definitely encouraged by the warm welcomes and friendly advice all of you have offered. Are there any specific sampler packs from P&C you'd recommend for someone who's never smoked a pipe before?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'd spend a little more and get a decent 50 to 60 dollar pipe such as the Tsuge or maybe Savinelli pipes on sale at smoking pipes.com.
Then I'd go guy a few different types of tobaccos to try and learn what you like. Take a look at the bulk tobacco on smoking pipes. Get an ounce of each kind you decide on. For an aromatic I'd say try the Lane 1Q and their BCA. For a Virginia Perique type tobacco maybe try Stokkebye Luxury Navy flake. Flakes aren't the easiest to start with but if you read on here the couple techniques to load up your pipe such as the cube method you would do well. For an English blend to sample I'd have to defer that answer to one of the other fine gentleman on here that know more than me. Maybe Dunhill early morning pipe. Also look for a straight Virginia like Mac Baren Virginia #1.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Have any of you purchased the 3 pipes for $60 from P&C? Was hoping some of you have and could provide some feedback about the quality of the pipes you received.. http://pipesandcigars.com/3pifor5as.html

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Buy the best pipe you can afford. Period. Case closed.
Consider buying a quality estate from a company that has refurbished it, and has a good reputation. Some of our sponsors are very good at that. You already mentioned P&C; I have also heard good things about Smokingpipes.com.
If you are not comfy with going that route, I would recommend Stanwell, Peterson, or Savinelli. If you can drop $100-$150, you are gonna get a good quality machine-made briar.
I would not buy a Dr. Grabow. They are not great pipes. MM cobs, while not great, either, are better, IMO, than DG. They may help you build a basic rotation, if you have one good pipe to start with.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Gotcha. $100 is a bit steep for me, but I may end up investing into a lower end Savinelli rather than a Dr Grabow. The only issue I have is that there are no B&M stores close to me, so I'm in a situation where I have to purchase a pipe based on looks (rather than being able to purchase based on the feel of the pipe) from the internet. Makes me a bit hesitant to purchase a more expensive pipe.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
I only buy from smokingpipes.com and cup of joes for my pipes. i recommend them 100%

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=99903

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=109019

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=113648

for a new sav, this line is beautiful and a great price.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=H&srch=KW&search_text=Savinelli+Tevere

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I really like the looks of this Sav Roma Rhodesian pipe (http://pipesandcigars.com/sarosapi504r.html#.UMYqEIPBFic). The price makes me hesitant though...Any of you have a pipe like this that could provide some feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.