PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I know what thread you must be talking about! Conspicuously missing now. I've been away for about 12-15 hours and right away it started off with some of the usual kidding. I'm religious but don't have any problem with good-natured ribbing, but apparently it went unnecessarily far beyond that last night.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
The first real foul I saw (after the OP, that is ) was jackswilling calling a site sponsor a POS
We are always reined in/warned about negative comments about site sponsors, I somewhat agree with this but when one chooses to join in on negativity they should be considered fair game for responses. As a site sponsor he should have avoided that thread like the plague, it was obviously going to run off the rails.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Added bonus of posts from a certain person who should know better after his rants on his company's social media site."

"jackswilling calling a site sponsor a POS"
This is the second time a thread was put up that went way beyond the pale against a class of persons. That a Moderator participated in it, well I guess that is the way it goes. I am surprised that a follow-on thread is being allowed considering how far lines were crossed. If site sponsors are sacred cows, and given a pass, then I want to be a site sponsor and have immunity to chime in with the worst and most disrespectful thread I have seen on sane moderated open forums. I cannot believe that such behavior is tolerated. I do realized how cool some think it is to spit on the class in question. I always figured crude offensive threads degrading or disrespection classes of humans based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin were topics that would be avoided, at all costs to protect the integrety of the forum. The O/P thougt it was funny then and funny now. I am certain he would change his mind if I were given the latitude to deal in kind in spite of his cliams to the contrary. But I have no beef with any of the legally protected classes. If what was posted was spray painted on Churches on it would be a hate crime. I endevour to avoid what should be a third-rail of discussion. What is the point???

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I guess that's what happens when you take a day off from the internet. Stuff happens and you get left out of it!
For one, while I am now curious, I am happy that we have adult supervision called admin/moderators who see fit to remove offensive threads like apparently was deleted. Maybe sometimes, censorship is a correct action.
As for site sponsors who feel its their prerogative to make personal attacks on people who believe differently than they do or who are on a different point of the political scale, I feel its up to the owner of the forum to address the issue. For my part, I address the issue by not doing business with those who don't respect my right to have a differing opinion.
Hope that was said tactfully enough that I don't get banned...

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Again, the site sponsor didn't start the mudslinging . It took a few potshots to get him going. If someone on this site called me a POS I'd open up a can of wupass too.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not sure how deep Hippie McGee the site sponsor got into it, but by the time I left it was down to the level of making offensive statements for the sake of being deliberately offensive. Haven't really seen a lot of that around here before.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Site sponsor didn't start the personal attacks. He did better than I would have done with them once they started.
And yep, a post just went poof. Which is cool - it wasn't helping any awesomeness.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was busy watching Doc Martin.
First season of that is great. Martin Clunes is inherently funny in the awkward way that only post-Empire UK residents can be. Compare to Monty Python, but subtler.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Okay, so I'm getting a little picture of what was going on. My take, without knowing the particulars, is that PM offers more freedom than some members can responsibly handle. It's a recurring phenomenon here, and goes with the territory.
Starcat bears no resemblance to the thread in question. Starcat may have been anarchistic and even frightening to a few of the old guard, but it wasn't mean spirited. There were no personal attacks.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jesse, I'm not sure that you get the gist of my upthrusting jocular jibe here. The thread is gone. And so, like the much-fabled Starcat thread, we are now free to make of it as we wish, posterity-wise, unencumbered by whatever the facts may or may not have been.
You may resume.
On a similar note, however, I enjoyed my Easter Day on a train from Burlington, Vermont back to dear old Philadelphia. There were a couple of stops along the way that allowed me time to pop out for a quick cob of John Cotton's No.1. One of those stops was Penn Station. Only later did I realize that smoking is not allowed on the train platform in NYC. The folks there were friendly and cordial, even got a nod from an Amtrak cop. One fine Caucasian gentleman in tie-dye and dreads asked me what I was smoking. I think he was disappointed by my response.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
even got a nod from an Amtrak cop
That was just him tipping his head down so that his hat-cam could snap your picture and send it off to the facial recognition software dept. You have been identified woods, and you will be getting your Amtrak fine for illegal smoking and general pedestrian menace in the mail, courtesy of New Your State. :mrgreen:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, I'm not sure that you get the gist of my upthrusting jocular jibe here. The thread is gone. And so, like the much-fabled Starcat thread, we are now free to make of it as we wish, posterity-wise, unencumbered by whatever the facts may or may not have been.
Ahhh...I did not understand the context for this thread. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Were there any victors? They usually dictate the official record.

Status
Not open for further replies.