PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
"Auribus lupum tenere" my friend.
I once stripped a similar coating from a pipe I believed to be a lost cause with an eco paint stripper !
Scrub it with a tooth brush and alcohol , or a mild oxy warm water solution.
Rinsed it thoroughly with luke warm water. Dried it in a warm oven .
Then removed the remaining stain by giving the stummel an overnight alcohol bath .
A good hot water flush and a careful dry in a warm oven. Perfect clean virgin briar
craving an entire new staining.
Fortune favours the brave.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
"Auribus lupum tenere" my friend.
I once stripped a similar coating from a pipe I believed to be a lost cause with an eco paint stripper !
Scrub it with a tooth brush and alcohol , or a mild oxy warm water solution.
Rinsed it thoroughly with luke warm water. Dried it in a warm oven .
Then removed the remaining stain by giving the stummel an overnight alcohol bath .
A good hot water flush and a careful dry in a warm oven. Perfect clean virgin briar
craving an entire new staining.
Fortune favours the brave.
If ethanol and acetone won’t touch it, then this is probably the ticket. FWIW I have stripped oil finish out of old GI M14 stocks (tung oil finish) with oven cleaner, which is mostly sodium hydroxide, and is water soluble, but I recommend plugging the chamber of the pipe if you pursue anything more aggressive than what you’ve already tried.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
If ethanol and acetone won’t touch it, then this is probably the ticket. FWIW I have stripped oil finish out of old GI M14 stocks (tung oil finish) with oven cleaner, which is mostly sodium hydroxide, and is water soluble, but I recommend plugging the chamber of the pipe if you pursue anything more aggressive than what you’ve already tried.
I forgot to mention I plugged the pipe with a good fitting cork :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This lacquer is thick and stubborn aye. I’m not really getting any action with isopropyl and a cloth. In fact there are a few parts on the stummel that I can almost chip/lift off with my finger nails alone as it’s so thick.

btw I want to go on record and say I truly love smoking this pipe, there is no bad blood here, just incase anyone thought I was having a bitch about something I purchased from a fellow forum member. We both find the lacquer disappointing
I think the ratio of lacquer to briar is reversed on this pipe. You remove the lacquer and you'll have the thinnest walled briar known to man. That's what I am thinking.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I think the ratio of lacquer to briar is reversed on this pipe. You remove the lacquer and you'll have the thinnest walled briar known to man. That's what I am thinking.
Or better yet...I might find there’s actually a corn cob underneath it all. I mean that would at least explain why it smokes insanely good.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I wish I was. I think they look perfect on a bent system pipe. The issue for me is they make me drool outrageously when I smoke one, and the sending the smoke to the roof of my mouth just doesn’t work with my style. That said, I have a pre republic 314 on the shelf just for display
it's funny because I thought I would hate them but it works extremely well with the way I smoke. It's a little weird at first but after a few bowls I find it smokes practically the same as a normal button. A big part of it though is figuring out where the ideal placement is. Once you get that down it's amazing how much better it works. The sad thing is I can't really explain how to get the ideal placement. Otherwise then using that bit on the bottom as a guideline like the upside down shelf should almost sit on the tongue.

Reactions: jttnk and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’ve tried plips on about 6 different styles of Pete’s over the last 2 years and still no luck. I hear ya though, trust me I wish they would deliver for me. Two of my good smoking buddies swear by them, and they do look darn comfy. I might have a play around this weekend and see if I can get any joy out of the plip bulldog I have.

this afternoon I pinched some nail polish remover from the bathroom just to see how it would go - I know it’s not straight acetone. It has convinced me enough to swing down to the chemist a bit later and grab a small bottle to do the job. There is a nice blast under the heavy sections of lacquer, but as @Country Bladesmith mentioned it looks as though it is pulling up some stain too so I will need to address this once I have removed the lacquer.

before:

09872207-447B-4254-A87B-77500303DF0A.jpeg

after:

2E657799-C1AA-4F06-B746-48A87AB8F1A8.jpeg

Reactions: klause and OzPiper
Aug 1, 2012
This is a good development. Black stain is hard to get eight when re-applied but I'm confident that you can do it.

Peterson pipes are great if you ask me. No worse than the golden era of British pipes and in some cases better.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Dave,
How is the pipe going ?
Have you managed to get rid of the thick layer of goop yet ?
Love to see what the pipe looks like without all that lacquer.
It's such a shame - like seeing a pretty girl with half an inch of pancake on her face - totally unnecessary
Hey mate. I haven’t been able to run down to the chemist this week to grab some acetone but hoping to do that tomorrow!

Reactions: gervais and OzPiper