Drucquers Banner

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I'd never have paid that much for such a heavily lacquered pipe. I think that at that price point there's an expectation that the briar be ... "presentation grade."

Reactions: OzPiper and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I'd never have paid that much for such a heavily lacquered pipe. I think that at that price point there's an expectation that the briar be ... "presentation grade."
Agreed, and that’s kinda why I’d be surprised to find some nasties hiding underneath. I think @OzPiper is probably onto it with it being accidentally applied a bit heavy. I’m not clued up on whether Peterson has gone through seasons of quality control issues, but the hallmarks on this pipe date to 2016

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Agreed, and that’s kinda why I’d be surprised to find some nasties hiding underneath. I think @OzPiper is probably onto it with it being accidentally applied a bit heavy. I’m not clued up on whether Peterson has gone through seasons of quality control issues, but the hallmarks on this pipe date to 2016
I think Peterson kind of has a reputation for QC being all over the map. I don’t own enough of them to be able to say whether that reputation is deserved or not though.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This lacquer is thick and stubborn aye. I’m not really getting any action with isopropyl and a cloth. In fact there are a few parts on the stummel that I can almost chip/lift off with my finger nails alone as it’s so thick.

btw I want to go on record and say I truly love smoking this pipe, there is no bad blood here, just incase anyone thought I was having a bitch about something I purchased from a fellow forum member. We both find the lacquer disappointing

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I think Peterson kind of has a reputation for QC being all over the map. I don’t own enough of them to be able to say whether that reputation is deserved or not though.
I bought a few Petes in the mid-70's and a post-WWll Bulldog X150 - no quality control issues there.

Held off buying more Petes until last year because of the complaints of QC issues on the Forums.

Since then I've bought (new) an Irish Harp 80s, 2 from the Short series (80s & 03), and 3 S.Holmes series (Squire, Hudson & Lestrade) and have been happy with the finish on all of them.
I would say that based on my experience, the QC has definitely improved in the past few years, at least in their higher quality lines.

I don't like the bowl coating or the way their bent pipes are drilled, but I accept that Petes are what they are, and those quirks are not deal-breakers for me.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I'm intrigued by your endeavor and amused by your optimism that removing the lac will improve things for the better. As an eternal pessimist, I suspect it is more likely the opposite will be true. I will certainly say I told you so if I turn out to be correct. ?
Haha that’s ok bro. I have enough eschatological hope for both of us...though I wouldn’t be surprised if this all goes to custard

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
May we ask why you made the purchase?
Sure. Because he is a good bastard and I loved the way the pipe looked. It’s only since I have been smoking it so regularly that the heavy handedness of some parts of lacquer has started to bother me. Changing the factory finish is totally something I would not consider unless I really loved smoking a pipe and it would just give it that extra je ne sais quoi.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Cool link. Are you suggesting that the could have been used to finish my pipe?
I searched on whether an oil or water base is used which might help to know if you want to remove. I believe I remember you commenting favorably to using water to clean your pipes. Although smooth, the process they used might be an option.

Reactions: Ahi Ka