PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Lads,

I recently got this pipe from our resident Santa @klause, it is probably my best smoking briar to date.

The only thing that doesn’t tickle my fancy is the thick lacquer type finish of/over the blast. Just musing as to how one would go about removing some of this to let some of the briar wood accents come through?

I am tempted to leave just as is, as it is a high grade Pete (ok, only just lol), but I cannot ever see myself letting this one go so I’m not too concerned about whether changing the finish would impact its resale value.

I also noticed this morning that a bit of the finish chipped off on the rim, revealing a matte black stain underneath.

chur

431677E5-D328-46A0-8D87-58028970E0B4.jpeg92596C43-308A-4BDD-8145-8435016F56ED.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Problem is the natural finish is most likely ugly. Hence the dark stain. But you never know.
I’m ok with the dark stain, I just don’t like how the lacquer flattens the blast - appreciate it is not a super craggy boat anyways. Actually the more I look at it I can see that the lacquer is lifting off naturally from use. Maybe I’ll just keep smoking the heck out of it and hold in my hand rather than clench as much.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I've removed finish from a guitar neck using 0000 steel wool and taped the area to remain finished. Some gloss black Testers model paint would probably fix the part that fell off, or even a Sharpie.

Peterson might repair if you contact them.

The color combination is outstanding. I would not do anything, but use it.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I stripped the finish off a Tsuge once. Turned out ok for me. If the finish is hiding some butt-ugliness in the wood, you can always refinish it black again. But don’t let me talk you into anything.
The one you did look soo much better light, then the original finish. There's always risk and it definitely payed off!!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The one you did look soo much better light, then the original finish. There's always risk and it definitely payed off!!
I honestly expected to uncover a turd. Like @ChuckMijo said, they’re usually selective about which pipes they use dark stains on, and it’s usually because they had either boring grain or sand pits. Luck of the draw.