PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Has anyone heard from Brian Levine? I think he's on the east side of the state but that he was planning to leave for the Vegas show around today or tomorrow originally.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@gamzultovah : I am up North visiting my ex-wife and her 91 year old Mother for the High Holidays! It is moments like this when you realize that being an associate M.O.T has can actually save your life. I am rather worried about a pound of Black XXX I left in a box on my dressing table in Lutz. Keep safe my friend!
One would think you’d be more respectful of gifts from acquaintances.
Tell Lisa Shana Tova for me.

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
We sold our house in Venice last year. Parts of our old neighborhood are being evacuated based on Evacuation Level. The street we lived on is under evacuation orders. I hope our friends and former neighbors play it safe and leave.

Good luck to all forum members in the storm path. Be safe.

We have been in contact with our friends and most are staying put. One couple tried heading North on I75 and started worrying about the lack of availability of gas and they turned around and went back home. Another couple made it to Georgia. The neighborhood is 7 miles from the coast but the Myakka river is a few miles away to the East. We almost flooded during hurricane Ian in 2022. The water was lapping at our garage door. I am quite concerned, especially for our elderly friends.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
One would think you’d be more respectful of gifts from acquaintances.
Tell Lisa Shana Tova for me.
@woodsroad: I don't know if I have the crayons or patience to try and explain that to her. I am sure you still have memories of trying to explain to her how to pack a gun case and not try and put the card board sleeve in the case! Perhaps you remember the time when she mail god knows how much .22 ammunition loose in the box with some pipe racks to you with blowing up the USPS! I am informed that the black twist is now safe and stored in a storm proof area.

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
Those folks had better be getting out of Dodge. This is going to be a bad one. This is not one to be tough and stick it out.
It's a safe bet that the U.S. Coast Guard has evacuated all "nonessential" personnel, equipment and families from the Tampa/St. Pete area and any other area forecast to be in the path of the hurricane.

If the Coast Guard believes a hurricane is going to be dangerous enough to evacuate an area, then anyone else living in that area should evacuate also.

That being said, the Coast Guard will be the first government agency to respond and they will do so as soon as the winds speed drops enough that the helicopters can fly into the area.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Heard an interview this morning on the radio with a guy who claimed that he is planning to just sit it out at home despite all warnings of the intensity of Milton. Kinda reminds me of when Harry R. Truman declared he would sit out the eruption of Mt. St. Helens in a cave he knew, along with rations and a cask of whiskey. As far as I know, they never found Harry's body.

I was 45 miles southeast of that blow, in Portland OR, with our 5-days-old second kid in the house.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
A friend of mine from the east coast of Florida got out on Monday to South Carolina ... it took 10 hours and he counted over 1000 utility trucks and national guard heading south. Apparently there are over 10000 utility and service trucks staging at or near the Villages (?). Prayers for all concerned. The garbage left from Helene may be a problem as only about 5% has been cleared so far with more being done today.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

ClinchKnot

Lurker
Jul 3, 2023
Virginia
Kinda reminds me of when Harry R. Truman declared he would sit out the eruption of Mt. St. Helens in a cave he knew, along with rations and a cask of whiskey. As far as I know, they never found Harry's body.
The interview with Truman right before 150’ of the mountain landed on him is interesting. A mix of stubbornness, denial, and delusion. Have met a few like him, and I get it.

Spent some time as a young man in remote areas of Alaska. An important thing I learned there is that respect for nature includes a healthy dose of caution. If you ignore good sense you can end up under a mountain or mudslide, frozen, drowned, or a meal in the food chain.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I've read enough Carl Hiaasen and Tom Dorsey books to know that I would not want to be in the aftermath of a Florida Hurricane and the other crazies and lunatics that will be living amongst the rubble. I would definitely be one that left ASAP.
It's funny you say that. I watch a lot of true crime documentaries and Florida comes up time and again as the setting for some crazy murder/murders. Maybe it's something in the water? Utah comes up quite a bit, as well.

🤔🤔🤔

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
It's funny you say that. I watch a lot of true crime documentaries and Florida comes up time and again as the setting for some crazy murder/murders. Maybe it's something in the water? Utah comes up quite a bit, as well.

🤔🤔🤔
The heat, then the insanity that comes along with anticipating a storm like this. Throw in that there are already grifters lining up to move in to take advantage of the old and feebleminded. Thieves and other criminals. Retired gangsters. Etc... That, and the entire state is insane. puffy

The aftermath is those who stayed behind living in squaller of the ruins of their homes, with guns and ammo against anyone else they don't recognize, which is everyone else in their neighborhoods that also have the same mindset. So, they end up with neighbors shooting neighbors.

Add in jumbo sized pythons, alligators, and sharks.