Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
  • Single ply toilet paper
  • Modern newspaper comics
  • Imperial method of measuring things (feet, miles, pounds, etc)
  • Those new gasoline cans that are supposed to be no-spill but end up spilling a lot more
  • People that drive slow until they get to a section of road with a passing lane where they speed up only to slow back down when it gets back to where they can't be passed.
  • Child proof lighters
  • Those new gasoline cans that are supposed to be no-spill but end up spilling a lot more
  • People that drive slow until they get to a section of road with a passing lane where they speed up only to slow back down when it gets back to where they can't be passed.
  • Child proof lighters
I'm American, but I completely agree that the imperial measurement system is complete trash. When I was a kid they used to tell us we'd eventually switch to metric, but apparently they greatly underestimated our ability to suffer an inferior system out of a fear of change or whatever :ROFLMAO:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm American, but I completely agree that the imperial measurement system is complete trash. When I was a kid they used to tell us we'd eventually switch to metric, but apparently they greatly underestimated our ability to suffer an inferior system out of a fear of change or whatever :ROFLMAO:

i don't know. i like my pints. liter of beer would be fine too, but it might get warm.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

I am forced to agree. As a Land Surveyor, we work in a system of US survey feet, aka feet broken into tenths, hundreths, and thousandths. We literally created an entirely different system of measurement in base 10 rather than just go ahead and use the metric system. It's absurd.

Unfortunately for me it ruined my ability to use inches in my brain. My brain's first language of measurement is all in tenths and hundreths, haha. When people say things like "a couple eighths" or "a sixteenth" my brain immediately starts doing the math to figure out how many hundreths/thousandths that is in order to understand it, haha.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would be wrecked trying to figure out what the hell a kilometer or all of those prefixes are... more or less than a mile? Or, grams? The whole jewelry industry would be upside down with their system of carats and picas.

Yeah, a kilometer is less than a mile, but a kilogram is more than a pound?. Our system is all effed up. The only one I have memorized (due to the aforementioned surveying career, since we used it as a check all the time, is meters. 3.2808333....... feet, haha.) Punched that into a calculator about a billion times during my days in the field.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry you drew the short straw on that mug with handle. I bought a Starbuck tumbler, a tall stainless steel thing with the Starbuck logo stamped into the metal. It was on discount, maybe eight bucks instead of twenty. I won the lotto that day. It holds a lot of beverage, hot or cold, and the insulation is serious. If I leave it with an iced drink overnight, the ice is still mostly whole by morning. It replaces a tall plastic insulated mug I got years ago at a business conference as a freebie, with the logo worn off and the brim chipped, that gives my wife the creeps. I still use to to go get more ice from the fridge, but I try not to show it to her.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The cost of Hillary Clinton's latest book on why she lost the last election! rotf A copy of Bernie Sanders Bumper Book of Economics with the supplement picture book for when he had that walk on part in the movie Cocoon. A copy of The Condor & Weezell Guide to Shitty Tobacco. If you purchased all three of those you could get change out of a penny and have $99.99 to spend on something worthless like that musical you have always wanted to see!

Reactions: scloyd and Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Buying books is a true vice. Even the "best" books to the owner's taste may not bear re-reading. Those books and the rest mount up like a landfill a seldom go away at the rate they arrive, love them though we may, or hate them. Some of the most joyous reading most of us have done has been out of the library when we were young and owned just a few books. But reading is always good. I fight my kinetic nature to keep reading. My late wife and my wife now both have out-read me by thousands of books. Current events books now are unending in numbers. It's a breath of fresh air to read something else -- Boswell's biography of Samuel Johnson, Shakespeare, etc., shed light on the present even more than the current reports. Shakespeare's "Richard the Third" reminds me hugely of a particular Senator, but that's me.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm American too (although temporarily expatriated). As an American scientist I had to have two brains for this. Science is generally conducted in metric even if day to day life is in imperial. Also some of my vehicles were metric but others imperial. It was frustrating to need two sets of sockets. Of course there is logic to metric and it is vastly superior.

As for beer measurements I agree that it is nice to simply ask for a pint (which is about a half liter). I like that beer comes in half liter bottles in Germany. A half liter of beer is 16.9 ounces which is, in my never humble opinion, much better than 12 ounces. Of course those big glass beer mugs (maß) are a full liter which is better yet. Hmm. All this typing is making me thirsty.

Reactions: Bowie

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Grew up with metric. Hated Imperial. Now that I work with leather I'm actually preferring to use Imperial. Go figure.

Of course, this results on me ending up mixing both on the same project, which makes measuring a lot of fun. ?

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'm American too (although temporarily expatriated). As an American scientist I had to have two brains for this. Science is generally conducted in metric even if day to day life is in imperial. Also some of my vehicles were metric but others imperial. It was frustrating to need two sets of sockets. Of course there is logic to metric and it is vastly superior.

As for beer measurements I agree that it is nice to simply ask for a pint (which is about a half liter). I like that beer comes in half liter bottles in Germany. A half liter of beer is 16.9 ounces which is, in my never humble opinion, much better than 12 ounces. Of course those big glass beer mugs (maß) are a full liter which is better yet. Hmm. All this typing is making me thirsty.

I cannot disagree that 16.9oz of beer is better than 12oz. That is solid logic and the math checks out.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The cost of Hillary Clinton's latest book on why she lost the last election! rotf A copy of Bernie Sanders Bumper Book of Economics with the supplement picture book for when he had that walk on part in the movie Cocoon. A copy of The Condor & Weezell Guide to Shitty Tobacco. If you purchased all three of those you could get change out of a penny and have $99.99 to spend on something worthless like that musical you have always wanted to see!

• Haha
Reactions: olkofri

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

Amen to all of those seldom! The toilet paper - I mean who buys cheap toilet paper? Do you enjoy having to unwind a roll just to wipe cleanly? Or do you just enjoy the dingleberries? Is there something about walking around with your crack feeling like it was filled with sand that you enjoy? Splurge a little! Get some Charmin, some Cottonelle and enjoy that clean crap free feeling.

The imperial method is America's embarrassment. We can say "There are two kinds of countries, those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon" all we want but we still come across as the slow kid that eats lead paint at quiz time. 1, 10, 100 How hard is that? Although I have to agree on keeping fahrenheit. Every time I turn the heater up to 80 and its set on celsius, I come home and the pet guinea pig is dead. It didn't die of dehydration, the dog used is as a battering ram to break one of the windows to get out. That's a smart dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.