PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Can I ask if anyone is bothered by Virginias in terms of bottom lip and palate irritation? Don’t find that with Burleys and curious what might cause it ( have been smoking slowly, “sipping” and still get
Several folks here have mentioned they find Red Virginias to give them a problem. I may be in the same boat, but have few blends with much red VA's.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Can I ask if anyone is bothered by Virginias in terms of bottom lip and palate irritation? Don’t find that with Burleys and curious what might cause it ( have been smoking slowly, “sipping” and still get

Yes! But didn’t know why (thought it might be some additive) until ‘jpmcwjr’ explained (above).

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

Holy Quantum thread travel from another dimension, Batman! Never had an issue with specific blends, although I have noticed that if I let my cadence get out of hand I get some lip irritation. I always just assumed it was due to heat, only happened a couple times.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Holy Quantum thread travel from another dimension, Batman! Never had an issue with specific blends, although I have noticed that if I let my cadence get out of hand I get some lip irritation. I always just assumed it was due to heat, only happened a couple times.

Here’s a peculiar story. (?)

Okay, so I abhor Lakeland, but I love dark fired Kentucky. Long story short: someone (can’t remember who, probably a local piper at the smoke shop) assured me I’d love G&H Kendal Kentucky.

I researched it and figured it’d be right up my alley. Ordered 4oz and let it sit for three/four months.

Loaded up a bowl in a cob, went out on the front porch and lit it up. It was freaking delicious.

Four or five puffs after the char, I felt like I was going to literally vomit. What had I eaten? Nothing bad I don’t think. Puff. Vomit impulse gets worse. What is going on here? It HAS to be the tobacco! Nah. Chill out Nicholas... puff... Vomit impulse hits a literal “It’s going over the porch balusters. Won’t make it to bathroom.”

Well, I didn’t throw up, but I can’t smoke that KK. It’s like the cheerleader back in HS you knew you’d never have a chance with. Except I’m sure that KK ages much more beautifully.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Here’s a peculiar story. (?)

Okay, so I abhor Lakeland, but I love dark fired Kentucky. Long story short: someone (can’t remember who, probably a local piper at the smoke shop) assured me I’d love G&H Kendal Kentucky.

I researched it and figured it’d be right up my alley. Ordered 4oz and let it sit for three/four months.

Loaded up a bowl in a cob, went out on the front porch and lit it up. It was freaking delicious.

Four or five puffs after the char, I felt like I was going to literally vomit. What had I eaten? Nothing bad I don’t think. Puff. Vomit impulse gets worse. What is going on here? It HAS to be the tobacco! Nah. Chill out Nicholas... puff... Vomit impulse hits a literal “It’s going over the porch balusters. Won’t make it to bathroom.”

Well, I didn’t throw up, but I can’t smoke that KK. It’s like the cheerleader back in HS you knew you’d never have a chance with. Except I’m sure that KK ages much more beautifully.

I enjoy GH&C Kendal Dark but yeah, it can have that effect. With an ultra-slow pace and a glass of wine I can usually handle a smaller bowl of it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I enjoy GH&C Kendal Dark but yeah, it can have that effect. With an ultra-slow pace and a glass of wine I can usually handle a smaller bowl of it.
Are you guys referencing nicotine sweats or some other mysterious lakeland plague?

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN

Oh no... possibility the cure... except I’m alcohol intolerant /cry I turn red, get hives, it’s bad. My only Vice is pipe tobacco. If you don’t count shooting pool.

Reactions: BROBS

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Are you guys referencing nicotine sweats or some other mysterious lakeland plague?

No nic sweat. I enjoy a good bowl or two of Five Brothers on some days. I have no idea why it made me almost throw up. I have read before about some natural antiemetics (herbal) that some mfgrs add for this very reason... /shrug

Reactions: anotherbob

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Oh no... possibility the cure... except I’m alcohol intolerant /cry I turn red, get hives, it’s bad. My only Vice is pipe tobacco. If you don’t count shooting pool.

I've tried with things like gatorade but it didn't work as well as the wine or other alcoholic drinks. There is a non-alcoholic champagne my wife drank when she was pregnant that tasted good and worked almost as well. A little googling should turn up some results.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’ve requested that a loved one slip a .30-06 cartridge into the inside front pocket of my death suit... but now I’m considering a cob and a tin of Mc B’s HH ODF. :LOL:
I'll take a cold Weihenstephaner Vitus and some Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Wontons, then a large helping of Moose Bourguignon with fresh baked bread and a bottle of Cosentino The Franc wine, followed by Creme Brulee (the dessert not the tobacco) and a dram of Highland Park 12 Year, followed by a bowl of Dunbar and an espresso, followed by a Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro Lonsdale and a dram of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Single Barrel Bourbon, followed by sex with my wife, followed by a doobie and a bottle of Surly Darkness Imperial Stout.

I'll stash as many plugs of Dan Salty Dogs as I can carry in my pockets and a Savinelli 315KS in case I need them in the after life.

After that I will be cremated and have my ashes spread under a specific tree at a glassing spot near our Moose Hunting Camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.