PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Now that is brilliant. They should have let you go duty-free just for the originality of your protest.

You’d think! We need more physics dropouts as customs officers.

It won’t even help if you tell them that you’re not sure if there’s tobacco in the tin until you open it and collapse the wave function. They charge you just the same.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I hate to be "that guy" but quantum mechanics does not imply other possibilities.

It does not make sense to apply quantum mechanics to the macroscopic world. Most of what you hear about quantum mechanics is just talk and falls more under the realm of "speculation" since we still don't fully understand many of the implications, many of which are likely just mathematical curiosities and don't exist in the real world (or at least in the macroscopic world).

Also, and owing to the fact that I'm a Copenhagen Interpretation kind of guy, I believe that act of finding, or seeing, said unaccounted for tin would cause the various wave states of the tin to collapse to the outcome of the tin being where you are seeing it.

Ban him!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You’d think! We need more physics dropouts as customs officers.

It won’t even help if you tell them that you’re not sure if there’s tobacco in the tin until you open it and collapse the wave function. They charge you just the same.

Since they charge by weight what we need to do is figure out how to superheat the air that makes up the empty space without damaging the tobacco or the tin. Essentially turn it into a hot air balloon. 50gr tin now weighs 5gr and voila, ten for the price of one.

Reactions: Casual

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm not sure of the eff

Since they charge by weight what we need to do is figure out how to superheat the air that makes up the empty space without damaging the tobacco or the tin. Essentially turn it into a hot air balloon. 50gr tin now weighs 5gr and voila, ten for the price of one.

Pressurizing the tins with helium might be a good alternative.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You know what they say: "Nothing ruins a good day like a huge manatee situation."

iu

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Forget QM, I can‘t even use plain old nuclear physics in my pipe smoking. I told the customs officer that, technically, that tin of Plum Pudding was mostly just empty space, so I shouldn’t have to pay the full duty. I was not successful. He didn’t even know who Feynman was.

Surely you must be joking! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.