PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

Ah, the dear Surprise. What memories it brings to mind; after Aubrey and Maturin this ship is one of the most beloved characters in the series. What wonderful books. They bear almost limitless rereading, each visit an opportunity to inhabit a unique world perfectly realized. Imagine the elegant language of Jane Austen paired with cannons, prize money, and flying splinters large enough to split a man in two and you’ll have the very faintest glimmer of their appeal.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Ah, the dear Surprise. What memories it brings to mind; after Aubrey and Maturin this ship is one of the most beloved characters in the series. What wonderful books. They bear almost limitless rereading, each visit an opportunity to inhabit a unique world perfectly realized. Imagine the elegant language of Jane Austen paired with cannons, prize money, and flying splinters large enough to split a man in two and you’ll have the very faintest glimmer of their appeal.
Reading your post I thought you had lost your mind or had a small stroke whilst typing, until I finally saw the book in the picture! ?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
If you hadn't mentioned the book I'd still be scratching my head!! I thought He'd lost it too, there for a while!........... :LOL:

My apologies. I forgot the picture wouldn’t necessarily be automatically visible. I was referring to the copy of Patrick O’Brian’s H.M.S. Surprise at the bottom left of the photo. The Aubrey/Maturin series is a great favorite of mine, and perhaps not “surprisingly” beloved by many of the naval officers I’ve met.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
That is one of 2 first American edition copies of the Surprise. I am about to put this one on the bay. I read the series at least 2x a year and have done so since 1994 or so and I really wish that 21 was complete. Or that they would hire a really good ghostwriter to finish it. Another great series is the Malazan Books of the Fallen. The first book, similar to Master and Commander, takes a bit of patience...but well worth it.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
My excitement is building as I'm planning to open and smoke my gift tomorrow night. After opening mine, along with my wife and kids opneing their gifts, I intend to crack a Santa tin, set a bowl or two out to dry for a bit, then make a large mug of hot chocolate to sip along with a pipeful of a magical Santa blend. It's going to be good.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
That is one of 2 first American edition copies of the Surprise. I am about to put this one on the bay. I read the series at least 2x a year and have done so since 1994 or so and I really wish that 21 was complete. Or that they would hire a really good ghostwriter to finish it. Another great series is the Malazan Books of the Fallen. The first book, similar to Master and Commander, takes a bit of patience...but well worth it.

+1 For the Malazan series it’s very very good. I’m going to have to look into the Surprise if it’s comparable!

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Since most of us on this thread are now bound by 3 common interests: Pipes, Tobacco, and the US Postal Service...
I'd really love to hear how they justify taking the extra case for speedier delivery when they clearly know that snot gonna happen. They surely aren't refunding me any money for the numerous 2 day packages I recently sent that arrived no where near the promised delivery date.
...grumble grumble, something about fine print, etc.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
+1 For the Malazan series it’s very very good. I’m going to have to look into the Surprise if it’s comparable!

I wouldn't want you to be misled. The O'Brian series is about the adventures of a pair of men who become close friends and serve as officers in the British Navy during the Napoleonic Wars; it has nothing to do with magic or fantasy. It's historical fiction, and its nearest analogue would be the Horatio Hornblower novels by C. S. Forester. If you like Forester's work you're likely to enjoy O'Brian's. But the leap from fantasy to historical fiction is a big one and very much more a matter of personal taste. The HMS Surprise, however, is not the first novel in the series; it's Master and Commander as aquadoc says. Don't get me wrong; I think the O'Brian books are wonderful; I'm just not sure they're in any sense comparable to the Malazan series, other than being great reads.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
A completely different genre. Historical fiction that is done really well. The first book is difficult for most newcomers but the characters develop really well and it is easy to become immersed in the books. Cannons, women, sailing, wives, whigs, tories, spies, blood, guts, Brits vs Americans, French, Spanish, Russians, etc..., and snarky, dry wit. It is 20 volumes long. Well, 20.5...the last book was not completed due to the author leaving this plane of existence. There are map books, glossaries, and books of characters that accompany the series but they are not necessary.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I'd really love to hear how they justify taking the extra case for speedier delivery when they clearly know that snot gonna happen. They surely aren't refunding me any money for the numerous 2 day packages I recently sent that arrived no where near the promised delivery date.
...grumble grumble, something about fine print, etc.
I have never had an issue with the USPS until the current postmaster general took over. He completely screwed the USPS and all of us at the same time. It is criminal. There is no justification for his ordering the destruction of the newly modernized sorting equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.