The (Un)Official PipesMagazine Secret Santa 2021!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having never mailed anything to continental EU, not that my target is in the EU, merely asking for a friend :::cough cough::: but, if someone were to be mailing tins to that area, how should one best declare the items to avoid me paying customs or taxes?
And, if a package gets zinged by customs... who pays, the sender or the receiver? Or, are we forgiven the exchange if it is something astronomical?

You know, because "my friend" is curious. puffy

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Having never mailed anything to continental EU, not that my target is in the EU, merely asking for a friend :::cough cough::: but, if someone were to be mailing tins to that area, how should one best declare the items to avoid me paying customs or taxes?
And, if a package gets zinged by customs... who pays, the sender or the receiver? Or, are we forgiven the exchange if it is something astronomical?

You know, because "my friend" is curious. puffy
I can't help you with the customs fees or taxes, but to make it easy, use a third party shipper. When I send stuff out of the country I use PirateShip.com it's usually 5% cheaper than USPS and you fill out the customs form online. When you print out the shipping label the customs form is attached to the shipping label. Plus, you can track the package on USPS or PirateShip.

I rarely send tobacco out of the country, so I always list what's actually in the package.

Sorry, really not much help with your original question.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Ok, so I go to this website and fill this out. Do you print labels on some sort of special sticky paper? And, do I put it in the regular mail for this third party to get?

I'm sorry, I am usually a stand in line at the USPO sort of guy. So, I have never used online stuff like this. And, I really appreciate you answering.
Just print the shipping label on regular printer paper and use tape to attach to the box. Then just drop it of at the post office or give it to your mailman. The post office still handles it and delivers it like any other package...no different. It's just easier, quicker and cheaper. I use PirateShip all the time for packages. I'll use it for my SS gift.

Oh yeah, one more thing, you need a scale to weigh the package. I use our digital kitchen scale.

Just print the shipping label on regular printer paper and use tape to attach to the box. Then just drop it of at the post office or give it to your mailman. The post office still handles it and delivers it like any other package...no different. It's just easier, quicker and cheaper. I use PirateShip all the time for packages. I'll use it for my SS gift.

Oh yeah, one more thing, you need a scale to weigh the package.
Thank you, the website was confusing, because I couldn't find step by step how to do it. But, that helps. Jeez... I am nervous as hell about anything mail and other country oriented. I may send several packages, to see if one gets through.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thank you, the website was confusing, because I couldn't find step by step how to do it. But, that helps. Jeez... I am nervous as hell about anything mail and other country oriented. I may send several packages, to see if one gets through.
After the first time...it's so easy. Once you mail the package you can keep track of it on the USPS or PirateShip website.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Why not drop ship from estervals or another Europe based tobacconist to avoid the whole customs issue?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Do you think it is a good idea to mail in separate packages? Maybe one might get through? With all of the horror stories I see on here... or is it just Canada that has this problem?
Ahi Ka's idea is probably the best if you're sending to Europe. If you're sending to Canada....? I sent Mike Thompson a tin of tobacco and did'nt have any problems with customs. Maybe some Canadians can help.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Why not drop ship from estervals or another Europe based tobacconist to avoid the whole customs issue?
I have never heard of that place. I did look at smokingpiupes.EU and they don't have tobacco. I will look into that place you mention. But, hell, I was going to send a bunch of McClellands and aged stuff and my own blends... but, I didn't remember signing up for international. I probably did, but I my old brain.
OK, I will send them something from their own country. That would be easier. :::sigh::: I hate mailing things in other countries. This is why I don't put international shipping rates on my Etsy. I have no idea how their mail works.

I'm just old and grumpy... wish I could smoke a fucking pipe. Damned throat stuff

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have never heard of that place. I did look at smokingpiupes.EU and they don't have tobacco. I will look into that place you mention. But, hell, I was going to send a bunch of McClellands and aged stuff and my own blends... but, I didn't remember signing up for international. I probably did, but I my old brain.
OK, I will send them something from their own country. That would be easier. :::sigh::: I hate mailing things in other countries. This is why I don't put international shipping rates on my Etsy. I have no idea how their mail works.

I'm just old and grumpy... wish I could smoke a fucking pipe. Damned throat stuff
That's probably your best plan. I've been on Esterval's website, but never ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.