PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I keep about 3/4 of my cellar hidden in my office at work. My wife only sees the 1/4 at home. She still comments that I have too much and asks the same question that we all get asked. I just tell her that I might need a tin or two more but that’s it. She has no idea I have three times as much tucked away in my office in big plastic containers. Whenever she visits my office, I just throw some paperwork or a few rolls of as-built drawings over the containers and tell her it’s work crap for a project or something. I’m sure she doesn’t believe me but she never does question it.

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
While I enjoy most of my tobacco on my 3rd floor deck and keep enough "go to" leaf and a humidor there, I also have 300sf workshop/walk-in humidor (naturally 67 percent humidity) on the 1st floor. The occasional story about the huge jumping spiders lurking there are enough to keep this space private and a good place for my various collections...When I move, it's going to be in a pine box.IMG_8048.jpegIMG_7877.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: philobeddoe

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yup I'm in the process of moving right now too. And though small compared to some, the wife got to see my stash. The fact that I have an entire 20 gal tote, of "non essential" tobacco, made her question me. So I limited my current supply to my small wooden pipe cabinet. 2 tubs of Carter hall, 6 jars of Briar Fox, half pound of Ryback, a tin of Burley flake, and some old dark fired should last me a couple months untill it comes out of storage .... Ugh....

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Pipes and tobacco are constantly arriving by mail at my house. I don't think she is aware of how much I've accumulated over the years. When we ever do buy a house the understanding has been made clear that an indoor room will be devoted exclusively to my pipe collection and related things.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I bought my home at 17. Had nothing to move in other than clothes from the car that I lived in for several months. That was the same year that I took up smoking a pipe so that has grown with me and the house. Met my wife ten years later.
for some reason I'am imagining she came with the house in a hidden compartment you found accidentally one day. Also I imagined it was a happy situation for her, not a locked up in the house type of situation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is no solace whatever, but moving can shake loose a lot of stuff that has accumulated. Hell, I want everything I have, but in fact much of it I don't use or even look at, or couldn't find. The trick is to leave enough time to sift out your real treasures and let the rest go, at a profit if possible, or to good effect in some way. Some people have a gift for maintaining only a spare number of possessions, and others have a gift for organizing the whole lot in neat drawers, shelves, etc. I don't fit either of those categories, alas. My dad used to pack for a two week vacation in something the size of a gym duffle.