PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it was Mae West who said (something like) too much of a good thing is never enough. I have too many pipes, for sure ... by some standards. And I am a big piker by others. So here are a few pros and cons of owning, ahem, quite a few pipes. First I acknowledge that the grand total varies wildly from person to person.

Some would find 25 or 30 pipes way too many, definitely clutter and excess. Others find 500 a fairly spare accumulation, scarcely a collection at all. So within my own parameters, here are my pros and cons on having quite a few pipes:

Pros:
A lot of pipes is an array of smoking tools for a wide variety of smoking experiences.
A large number reduces wear and, in rotation, guarantees longer lasting pipes.
More pipes means a wider range of nations, sizes, materials, finishes, shapes, etc.

(Post your own excuses for lots of pipes on this thread.)

Cons:

More pipes represents more expense. Fewer makes it easier to spend more on each pipe.
More maintenance makes demands on time.
People not familiar with tobacco pipes might suspect one is a hoarder.
Unless you leave detailed instructions, your heirs will never redeem their value.

(What are your negatives on owning lots of pipes? Post on this thread.)

This is mostly for fun, but also to pique conversation. Is there any such thing as too many? Too few?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I'm a sucker for patina, whether it be a darkened meer, crusty old cob or a light or unstained briar that has darkened over time. So, the more new pipes I buy, the more often I have to smoke something without the some of the visual characteristics I like.

I guess I could buy estates but I can't deny the fact that someone decided to ditch the pipe for whatever reason, or possibly died with it in their clench. I know some of you have had great luck with estates but I'll pass, thank you.

Reactions: dunnyboy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm a sucker for patina, whether it be a darkened meer, crusty old cob or a light or unstained briar that has darkened over time. So, the more new pipes I buy, the more often I have to smoke something without the some of the visual characteristics I like.

I guess I could buy estates but I can't deny the fact that someone decided to ditch the pipe for whatever reason, or possibly died with it in their clench. I know some of you have had great luck with estates but I'll pass, thank you.
Briar darkens with age and some estate pipes are unsmoked.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pretty sure you'd try to argue with me over my shoe size or my favorite sexual position. Ain't got it in me.
Not at all, nor the forum for the latter. Save the discoloration from smoking meerschaums, my oldest pipes look much as they did the day that I bought them. I'm just trying to understand what you mean.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the luxuries of many pipes is the regular pleasure of selecting which one to smoke of your "pipe shop" full of them, that is your racks. There aren't too many pleasures where you have that range of choice. Same with blends.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
At ten pipes i feel like i boarder on too many. I know my pipes well and where they excel. And there is still enough variety to feel excited to get back to that one. More and i'd feel like i was being wasteful and not using particular pipes enough already feel that way about the meer. But i just like briar better. And i like taking time to color it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not at all, nor the forum for the latter. Save the discoloration from smoking meerschaums, my oldest pipes look much as they did the day that I bought them. I'm just trying to understand what you mean.
fun story my oldest i cleaned the rim and thought oh poop removed some stain. Then realized that was the shade it started in and it had patina (or whatever it is called)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ten pipes is probably about right, but for me that was a long time ago. I have culled several times. I sent a few to a friend who'd quit cigarettes but said he just wanted them for decor. I sent some to a chaplin who was sharing them with active duty military in Afghanistan. Twice I've sent groups to SP for store credit to get one pipe I liked better. I don't think I've just thrown one away. Sometimes when I'm tempted by a pipe, I see that I have one that fills that same niche of size, material, weight, etc., and sometimes I realize the one I already own is better. Now, with many gift pipes, two that I've received as prizes, and a number that are favorites for other reasons, it is truly hard to cull. Off hand I can't pick one out that I wouldn't miss.

Reactions: dunnyboy and jiminy