PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
So the whole time you were trying to say dirty pipe? Excluding meerschaum, I never let any discoloring or buildup remain.
Yes, a dirty pipe if that's how you want to put it. Although, my light stained pipes which are not 'dirty', are definitely darker, the unfinished pipes tremendously so from handling. A little rim darkening doesn't bother me at all and I'm not hustling to remove it. I do once in a blue moon. The photos you show aren't of a light stained pipe. I doubt much difference in color has occurred.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I don't think I have too many but I certainly have more than I need...I think. I suppose one can get by very well with two or three pipes unless they smoke quite a bit. I may have 30 or so and 10 or so are un-smoked because I suppose I am waiting for the right time. I guess I'm not a carpe smoke-em person. No cons as I can see from having many more but I think I hit my limit. There are marvelous pipes out there and I have more than enuf of them. Rotation is a good thing but not essential in my opinion. Hobbyists and enthusiasts should do their thing and enjoy. Other folk should do the same.

Reactions: dunnyboy

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I figured that to get a virginal meer to colour to my satisfaction, I would have to smoke just that one pipe exclusively for the next 10 years, since I average 4 bowls per week ?
Totally understand. I currently smoke a lot more than that but it's also one of the main reasons I don't want to add any more to my collection. I can almost guarantee I'd smoke less if I didn't smoke meers. Food for thought.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Can't, they get thoroughly cleaned like my other tools. Take care of your tools, and they'll take care of you.

A little surface patina patina patina won't break your pipe.
Neither will cleaning it.
See, now it's these little exchanges that exhaust me. I wasn't saying cleaning your pipe would break it. I was saying your pipe will 'take care of you', as you put it, even if you don't try to scrub away any evidence that it's been smoked. Wanting a pipe to look unsmoked forever isn't appealing to me at all, but I guess it is to some.

Reactions: jiminy

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Maintenance is what prompted me to par down. I was over 100 "keepers" but I'm not at 55 pipes. I mostly enjoy vulcanite stems, and right now,I just don't have enough time for maintenance. Probably 30 would work just fine for me, but right now, I can't bring my self to sell any more.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
See, now it's these little exchanges that exhaust me.
As long as someone replies to one of my posts I reply back. My pipes show signs of smoking without unsightly carbon buildup on the rims, uneven cake or oxidation and all it takes are paper towels, pipe cleaners, and a jeweler's cloth. A pipe doesn't have to look old to look used.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Me: Im not buying anymore pipes, i won’t smoke 75% of the ones i have.

Me 15 minutes later: oh look a lot of 4 kay woodie super grain pipes in awesome condition for only $60???? *buys it* .. Yes this just happened ?
With the recent price increase in meerschaum pipes, they're off the menu but I'm still in for my annual holiday pipes from J. Everett and skulls from Oguz Simsek.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have around 60 pipes.

Another positive...
When you buy a new or estate pipe, you are putting money back into the economy by supporting someones business.

As for spending more time on maintenance, I don't mind. I'm 90% retired (I work less than 10 hours a week) and doing the routine maintenance on my pipes gives me something to do other than stare at the walls or tv.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have around 60 pipes.

Another positive...
When you buy a new or estate pipe, you are putting money back into the economy by supporting someones business.

As for spending more time on maintenance, I don't mind. I'm 90% retired (I work less than 10 hours a week) and doing the routine maintenance on my pipes gives me something to do other than stare at the walls or tv.
I aspire to that lifestyle - and I'll be hanging with the NOLA club....one of these days!

Reactions: dunnyboy and AJL67

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
As long as someone replies to one of my posts I reply back. My pipes show signs of smoking without unsightly carbon buildup on the rims, uneven cake or oxidation and all it takes are paper towels, pipe cleaners, and a jeweler's cloth. A pipe doesn't have to look old to look used.
Of course. Keeping vulcanite stems, chamber and airway of any pipe maintained is a given. Carbon build up on rims....that's sort of like a beard. We all have our own comfort level on that. Cobs never get a trim.

Reactions: Chasing Embers