PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I think the thread subject is interesting and totally legit - but I also see what saltedplug is getting at. It's tedious to read Lakeland bashing or M79 bashing or whatever, because taste is so subjective. It's like those reviewers on TR that bash Latakia blends because they hate Latakia - completely useless. Same with "gooper" bashing. What's the point?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But the point of the thread was about finding lakeland flavoring in blends that weren't supposed to have it. Not bashing them.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
But the point of the thread was about finding lakeland flavoring in blends that weren't supposed to have it. Not bashing them.

Yeah I get it. But bashing occurs pretty much every time Lakelands come up. I don't really care, just saying that saltedplug had a point.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Maybe hawky is tasting a ghost.

I'd like to think you'd give me a little more credit than that! To be fair, I have only ever tasted it on Full Virginia Flake from that one box in particular. I still have a little left from that batch and yes it is still very much tainted but ever so slightly and it detracts from what Full Virginia Flake is all about.
I love a lot of the Lakeland tobaccos but I do not want to taste that stuff where it does not belong. If I pick up on it in Best Brown #2 I'm alright with that because I've come to expect that but I certainly get annoyed when I find that it's in my Cabbies Mixture. CM is the only SG blend that I have noticed it in more than one batch. I love that stuff but when it has hints of the Lakeland "sauce" it's a total turn off.
Overall I've been very pleased with Samuel Gawith and they remain one of my all time favorite houses. I can also attest that you can buy there stuff with no risk as Smoking Pipes refunded my money on the box of FVF. So I wouldn't put too much worry in it as their product is still excellent!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Maybe this is why I don't post much currently. I truly understand Harris's post and remember the other post about this issue.
I'm also curious why Salted Plug took offense and then the always mercurial Lazar agreed with him.
Btw, I've not noticed Lakeland in my FVF or Cabbies, but I did notice peanut butter in my chocolate.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I ordered a new Peterson from P&C one time, along with a couple of Lakeland blends (just because I wanted to see what all the stink was about). Well, needless to say, the box was torn and the contents were rolling around loose inside with almost no packing protection.
The Lakelands had busted open and caused the mailman to lose consciousness and knock my mailbox over.
The Pete was already ghosted from just being in the same box with that God-awful stuff even before the first smoke...but didn’t matter because the thing was drilled so badly that you couldn’t smoke it anyway.
I got as far as touching one match to that mixture from hell and immediately sealed up the rest of it and shipped it off to Captain Embers to do whatever it is he does with it.
:rofl:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
cos, you need to smoke a bowl out of each of those 12 boxes and report back. The smell alone is not enough, we need to know the taste. When you have finished your assignment, please report back here. :lol:

Harris has actually got a point here. I couldn't and still can't detect the scent when I smell the flakes but boy oh boy is it there when I light up. As to what the "Lakeland Scent" is? You'll know it when ya taste it.
In all seriousness I've bought a lot of boxes of FVF since that tainted box (not as many as Cosmic) and I have smoked from many different batches and I've not ever come across a tainted batch of it since. I don't know what the deal is with Cabbies Mixture though? Maybe they can't make up their minds about whether or not it should contain a scent. lol.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I've been called a Martian before, but never Mercurial. :rofl:
My only point was, regardless of the thread topic, one mentions Lakelands and people will jump in to bash them (as began in post #2 above). At least we haven't heard the one about Grandma's underwear yet! No big deal - just seeing two sides.....

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Except that I don't think that you are seeing Harris's side. And just because there is more than one side, doesn't mean that the others are correct, or even worth acknowledging.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
From this new article printed on 2 Oct. 2015 http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/13799418.Snuff_firms_in_historic_merger/
a merger between historic tobacconists and snuff makers Samuel Gawith – based at Canal Head since 1881- and Gawith Hoggarth in March.

Both companies are continuing production at a factory on the Lake District Business Park, at Mint Bridge.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This is the GH factory:
2v2uh1sHFx3L6Bn.jpg

2v2uh16T8x3L6Bn.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Let's just agree to disagree on the Lakeland bashing and get back to the original topic. I don't want to get the thread closed because we are arguing, and I appreciate those who have come to my defense.
I really would like to find out if the equipment now being used on SG products is causing any transfer of Lakeland flavors(good or bad). I am going to smoke a bowl from a tin of Cabbies Mixture dated 2/9/16 first thing tomorrow. I have had it open since then and I just checked it and it is still pretty moist. I will have to let it dry some before smoking. I will report back with my results.

Mar 29, 2016
I had a tin of "contaminated" Cabbies Mixture, it was my first and sad to say last one. If quality control becomes difficult for SG then no more SG for me. Lakeland scent is weird for me and requires of me to be in a weird state of mind to enjoy it. But to get Lakeland perfumes/flavors when not wanting or expecting it well...talk about a ruined orgasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.