PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Two confessions:
1) I DO have an extensive cellar.... of nasal snuff. Mainly accrued by accident, rather than intending to future proof myself. It was only when I realised that I probably have enough snuff for about 5 or 6 years that I started thinking things were getting beyond what I intended. Then when the EU TPD news started breaking and blends were vanishing, I snaffled up a load more, and now have enough to last me about a decade. Despite having a 5 year stash, I had an anxiety of sorts that I'd never be able to buy some of my favourites again, and spent more than I should in getting certain blends jarred up in bulk, accompanied by a wide array of individual tins - stocking up on my favourites was more important than any perceived time frame. I still make the occasional purchase, but at less than my current consumption rate.
2) I have been guilty of clearing an online vendor of a couple of blends. I spotted a vendor that had some stock of a nasal snuff that was known to be discontinued, and had also been reduced in price to about 1/3 of the original price. I waited for a month (to let others get their fill), and the stock was still there, so I picked up the phone and acquired all 24 tins.
Pipe tobacco is WAY more expensive over here, which makes it a lot easier to not fall down the same rabbit hole. I also depend less on pipe than I do on snuff for my "fix" of tobacco pleasure. It's something that I want to continue on a low consumption basis, but not something I feel compelled to future proof myself with. If all that remains of blends in 5 years is OTCs at twice the price they are now, I'll just have a bowl a little less often. It won't cause me any severe hardship if supply stopped altogether, and my entire array of cheap pipes cost less than what some here would consider the cost of one mid range pipe. My pipe "needs" are far less than for many members here.
I consider myself to be familiar with BOTH ends of the cellaring spectrum with two different tobacco products.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's been an interesting ramble. I'm at the point that I don't really need to buy more tobacco and am well supplied. I didn't buy it for investment or speculation. I bought it to smoke and I have enough. But when I find something new that I like, I'll buy a couple of tins eventually when it either goes on sale, or when, combined with other needs, the order is sizeable enough to make the shipping costs negligible.
People "keeping up with the Jones" are bringing their own preexisting emotional baggage into their situation, whether it's a pipe forum like this one, or some other form of social interaction. The forum didn't cause their problem and the forum can't cure it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You people really need to get out more often.
I was out for most of the day today. Stopped by the post office on the way home......

IMG_6695-vi.jpg
I feel much better now, thank you.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
This thread begs the question.... should I open an McC Anniversary Blend from 05 tonight?
Or should I wait a day or two?
Also, I really do have all the pipes and tobacco I am going to need to see me to the end. I think i am going to try and keep it that way.
Even though Scottie Peirsel make a real slick pencil shank....

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
my bookshelves are already heaving
Jay, When shopping for things to read I hope you are leaving some books on the shelf for your fellow readers he he.
This has been an interesting thread to read! For me cellaring is a way to have a few years of smoking lined up and it means my tobacco is aging as a bonus. My homeland (New Zealand) intends to be entirely smokefree by 2025, in 8 years there will be no legal trade of tobacco. For me this is a very real reason to be putting away more than I currently need, knowing that it is getting progressively more difficult to obtain, and assuming that (very close to certain) I would like to hold on this hobby for the rest of my life. I still have a very tight 'hobby budget' however and certainly experience some anxiety around the whole ordeal, I have numerous times reminded myself to be grateful for the smoke I am puffing and be content knowing that I have something to put in tomorrows bowl too.
Isaac

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I only have two tins "cellared" right now. A first run Warhorse Bar red, and "old barn" HH ODF from November 2012. The latter I'm saving for the inaugural smoke in our new house when that happens in a few years. I will spend the next years scrambling to stock tins of blends which will be disappearing. I've only had a few aged tobaccos and would love to age tins of my choice, much like fine wines. I'm in no position to hoard vast quantities, unfortunately. I will slowly but surely build a cellar of good quality and diversity to enjoy in my old age while reminiscing on the good old days. If I'm lucky, my own crop will make it into the cellar, and I'll have some blending skills under my belt. It has been said tobacco is as cheap right now as it is ever going to get. Prices will only go up. I would be a fool to fail to take advantage of this fact. It is a matter of practicality. I don't need no stinkin' psychology. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Enthusiasm for acquisition of all things pipe began for me right here in this forum. It's a contagion.

I consider a cellar to be tobacco that one is aging for flavor primarily.

One's daily rotation could consist of all aged tobaccos.

Mine doesn't. I've only been smoking a pipe for 3 yrs, and I have yet to even try to buy aged tins. I've been satisfied smoking bagged bulk blends and have enough to mitigate anxiety.

Cellaring may be an expression of optimism. At my age, it is rather daunting to think five years ahead. (68)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, When shopping for things to read I hope you are leaving some books on the shelf for your fellow readers he he."
Isaac, actually I buy most of my books via Amazon and I invariably buy them used (but in good/great condition) and my preference (if available) is for ex library books due to the better quality binding. So in response to your comment my books have already given someone pleasure and if I pass them on again so the cycle continues :puffy:
Thing is, if I rate a book 8/10 or higher then it stays here for another reading down the line.
Regards,
Jay.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I like to clear shelves so you guys don't have to worry about developing a taste for something you won't be able to buy again. I consider it my civic duty.
That said, I am willing to donate a bag of the big P to the poster with best selfie & pipe in drag (holding a book on Amer History is optional).
Let's do something useful with this thread, shall we?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Someone said this only came up a year or two ago, but that isn't true. Harris got me into cellaring about 7 years ago when I did a trade with him for some flakes. Then I traded someone for a tin of Escudo aged 10 years. It was spectacular. I love fresh escudo, but the aged stuff takes the flavor to a whole new level. That got me thinking about beloved blends and how much Ithink they will improve with age. There is of course some thought to the future, tobacco disappearing or getting more expensive, but I don't buy compulsively and only when I have the funds in hand. If I hadn't started cellaring when I did, I do think I would be more anxious, but I'm sitting on enough to last me 20 years as I don't smoke everyday. And almost all of it are virginia based flakes which should all age nicely.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Jay, my collecting of books started at about age 7, biking round all the local garage sales on Saturday mornings collecting up all the classics and I have loved books ever since! Last weekend my 4 year old daughter and I bound our first book together, it was much fun and something I might look into learning further...
Bigpond, I am seriously contemplating this challenge, even if it is a bit of a drag.
Isaac

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Then there may be another issue with this cellaring thing, what happens if one had gotten several tins of one particular blend which he down the road finds upleasant and hardly tasty, since tastes may change over time ,especially with newer pipe smokers

so he may be facing the situation I owns ,say 10 unopened tins of tobacco he did come to dislike,this description of mine sounds a bit ridiculous but might take place eventually with each of us, are there any point to be found in this statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.