PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Well, will you look at that! The Bruins lost the series, without losing a single game at home………..

?
Of course they should just Game the system like TB does. Imagine being $17 million over the cap; winning Cup then doubling down next season for $21 million over cap; winning ANOTHER cup, and just doing it all again for a third season $18 million over cap? Gary Bettman WORST Commissioner in pro sports history

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Of course they should just Game the system like TB does. Imagine being $17 million over the cap; winning Cup then doubling down next season for $21 million over cap; winning ANOTHER cup, and just doing it all again for a third season $18 million over cap? Gary Bettman WORST Commissioner in pro sports history
Yeah Bettman leaves much to be desired.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’m at the point where I’m just gonna give up on sports entirely. Ditched Baseball years ago after my old man was screwed by the White Sox.
Dumped Basketball once the game fixing was documented (?Sure; I believe the billion dollar league thoroughly investigated and only found one referee participating)
Dumped Football when all the blatant missed calls and woke crap emerged.
NHL was my last bastion, but seeing the crap calls and dumb replay rules (if it’s about “getting it right” why can’t you challenge ANY call?); not to mention the most inept officiating of all the leagues; I’m pretty much done. Better things to do with my time than cheer on whiny millionaires, and subsidize billionaire owners.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
NHL was my last bastion, but seeing the crap calls and dumb replay rules (if it’s about “getting it right” why can’t you challenge ANY call?); not to mention the most inept officiating of all the leagues; I’m pretty much done. Better things to do with my time than cheer on whiny millionaires, and subsidize billionaire owners.
The politicization of sports in the last few years is very dismaying, I agree.

But the refs letting the boys play is the best part of hockey. (I was super disappointed the league called for heavy enforcement of cross checking this season. That’s one of the best parts of the game.) This playoff series has been called so much that it slows down the game.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
The politicization of sports in the last few years is very dismaying, I agree.

But the refs letting the boys play is the best part of hockey. (I was super disappointed the league called for heavy enforcement of cross checking this season. That’s one of the best parts of the game.) This playoff series has been called so much that it slows down the game.
Not a leaf’s fan; but they got absolutely hosed in Game 6. A BS “tripping” call that was really just a Bolt losing an edge. Then in OT; Matthews nearly getting his jersey ripped off, and no holding call?? If your gonna swallow the whistle do it consistently. If you’re gonna make ?calls, do it both ways.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Not a leaf’s fan; but they got absolutely hosed in Game 6. A BS “tripping” call that was really just a Bolt losing an edge. Then in OT; Matthews nearly getting his jersey ripped off, and no holding call?? If your gonna swallow the whistle do it consistently. If you’re gonna make ?calls, do it both ways.
Not to mention a self-inflicted high stick followed by a phantom high stick that led to a 5 on 3 goal for the bolts. They did, in fact, get hosed in game 6.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Not to mention a self-inflicted high stick followed by a phantom high stick that led to a 5 on 3 goal for the bolts. They did, in fact, get hosed in game 6.
And why can’t that play be reviewed? They keep harping about replay being needed to “get it right”; yet have so many restrictions upon replay.
Another one I saw; I think it was the Pitt/NY series. They call a no goal cause ref can’t see puck. (Right call by the way); yet overturn on replay, despite STILL not being able to see the puck. Was it in all likelihood in? Definitely. But replay states you need DEFINITIVE proof to overturn, and that WASN’T met. As you COULDN’T see the puck on replay.?‍♂️ But fuck it, oh well.
So the institute replay to solve bad calls, yet Toronto still makes bad calls. What’s the point? And you can’t challenge a myriad of ?calls.
Not to mention, your supposed to have a few moments to review a play before challenging (I believe the threshold is 30 seconds) yet I’ve seen them give several teams this year MINUTES. How do you hold certain teams to the 30 sec standard, and give carte Blanche to others?

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
They don’t want to slow the game down. That’s the NHL’s reason. After that late major call in Game 7 between the Golden Knights and Sharks in 2019 (#notamajor) the NHL seriously considered whether they wanted to allow video review for major penalty calls. They were worried that reviewing every major call on video would slow the game down. But after that game and the fallout, the league decided that they should allow it so that nothing like that ever happens again.

Reviewing simple two minute penalty calls is completely out of the question. There would be so many video reviews.