PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve read that it is not beneficial to build cake in a meer, so for now, I wipe the chamber out and I’m not allowing it to build any.

I’m certainly no meer expert, so I really can’t say if there is any benefit to having cake in a meer. 🤔

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
How did you build up carbon on the rim like that?
6C9300B0-1300-4ADB-B12B-EFE451C61C56.jpeg
1AE1E19C-6019-4877-AD9C-660539BA6655.jpeg
Top photo is from a month and a half ago after my first smoke out of the pipe on the right (AGovem billiard). Bottom photo is from just now

I tried cleaning the rim with some spit on the altinay (on the left) a few days ago and couldn’t be bothered to get a toothbrush or whatever to finish the job. Now I think it looks silly and I’ll likely never clean the rim again. The pipe on the right is getting some rim color too. When you smoke smaller meers like @didimauw and I, it’s easy to overstuff the bowl a bit since you’re pretty much packing a full bowl every time you smoke.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
View attachment 193494
View attachment 193496
Top photo is from a month and a half ago after my first smoke out of the pipe on the right (AGovem billiard). Bottom photo is from just now

I tried cleaning the rim with some spit on the altinay (on the left) a few days ago and couldn’t be bothered to get a toothbrush or whatever to finish the job. Now I think it looks silly and I’ll likely never clean the rim again. The pipe on the right is getting some rim color too. When you smoke smaller meers like @didimauw and I, it’s easy to overstuff the bowl a bit since you’re pretty much packing a full bowl every time you smoke.
First of all, I like ALL the pipes I see there. ;)
Second of all,

Yes
20160221_155926.jpgPXL_20220628_173929351.jpg
4-3-20 (7).jpg
All my pipes turn out like this. Building a huge cake helps the lava overflow I suppose.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Cake builds in Meers just like it does with briar. I wipe the inside of the bowl after every smoke. But they still build Cake. Since I smoke them daily, I had to remove significant Cake this evening from my IMP and Altinay.
I hear you man. I have to carefully ream my altinay frequently even after wiping out with a pipe cleaner after every smoke. I'm trying a wet paper towel every so often on my newer one to see if it prevents buildup any better.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I doubt many of my pipes could be called small but they're always packed full when I smoke. This is about all I get.

View attachment 193501View attachment 193502View attachment 193503
Wow that's kind of insane especially on that claw considering how colored it is. Are you cleaning them with spit every so often or something? Maybe since your bowls are so massive and last so long you end up smoking a fewer number of bowls a day, so the rim is exposed to flame less frequently? I usually smoke 3-5 smaller bowls a day sometimes all out of the same meer which is a lot of flame around the rim. Maybe you're just more careful and don't pack so close to the top?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’ve read that it is not beneficial to build cake in a meer
A lot of what's written is BS. Resting a pipe, pipe rotation, don't use water on a pipe, meerschaum is fossilized sea creatures. I'm finding my meerschaums are coloring faster without diligently removing cake and cleaning them. Look at heavily colored antique ones, they're loaded with cake.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am not an authority on meerschaum pipes. What knowledge I have has been picked up from speaking to people who had been in the trade since the 1920s who are long since dead. The long dead fellow in Paris who family made and repaired meerschaum pipes and who would be over 125 years old today was a fountain of interesting meerschaum facts. As @Chasing Embers so perfectly put it 'some much BS' has been written about meerschaum pipes that like religious beliefs the subject have become a matter of personal taste. Will the pipe explode with too much cake build up. Who knows. If the walls are thin enough then maybe, with that said I have dug out mountains of carbon and clinker from ancient meerschaums and I have never touch wood had a bowl split on me. Maybe older pipers were more resilient with different grades of meerschaum. Who knows. YMMV!