PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
The mixed reviews might be to do with the topping, I think it's delicious and it makes for a vaper that's quite different. I love Samuel Gawith's (Irish) Spring Time Flake for the same reason, the sherry barrels it's matured in give it a unique taste. I didn't like it at first and after the first bowl I left it untouched in the jar for 6 months or so. When I eventually got round to giving it another try it started to grow on me. Now I enjoy it as a change of pace from my regular Vapers like St James & Dunhill Dark Flake, Louisiana Flake scratches that same itch.
Enjoying spring time flake also.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Esterval’s does, as does Pfeifendepot but I much prefer Esterval’s, they also have great prices on Vauen pipes.

There are tons, but off hand HU is a must, Meistermischung, Dan St. Bernard Flake, Ascanian, Richmond Navy, Bjarne, and more all make great tobaccos. The prices and selection on DTM stuff is incredible as well. Last time I ordered Salty Dogs was $6, li

HU is the real gem though, huge variety of blends that are for the most part fantastic and cheaper than most US blends ($13-17 per 100g). Fayyum and Fayyum Kake, Directors Cut, LA Broken, Zulu, Indaba, Dockworker, and Old Fredders are my favorites so far.

You will also find a very large selection of Sam Gawith and Rattrays there, much more in stock than stateside, although the prices on those are pretty comparable.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: To see the correct lower sale prices, you must start an account and sign in before you shop. Its free and easy.

Also, shipping will take 2-7 weeks.
How big are your orders? Shipping is a killer. I'd live to try a couple HU blends.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
How big are your orders? Shipping is a killer. I'd live to try a couple HU blends.
The shipping seems high at first but when spread out over 10 or more more it isn’t that bad when you factor that in. I like that salty dogs plug is like 8 bucks a plug vs almost 20 from sp. like I said by the time you factor in the shipping it’s still pretty reasonable. I usually order about a dozen tins or so but that’s more my personal budget preventing me from ordering more.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Really, for the price of HU’s 100g tins (quality on par with Esoterica/Gawith, etc.). It only takes about 5 or 6 tins and shipping pays for itself!

I usually order a bunch tho, prices are quite low on DTM stuff and more as well. Classic more u spend more u save scenario ?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
"I have read many of times, that the Mcclelland blends that we all drool over now, were quite underrated before they left the market, only to come into full fame after their death" .
I've been smoking pipe tobacco since the mid 1990's and back then I don't recall that McClellands blends were underrated. Maybe some were and I just don't recall. I've primarily smoked Virginia's over the years, so I can only comment on those. I, and many others, thought their Virginia blends were top notch back then. As far as tobacco's today, I would have to agree with others that mentioned Davidoff's Flake Medallions. That's the first one that comes to mind for me. I recently smoked a 6 year old tin that really was wonderful.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
"I have read many of times, that the Mcclelland blends that we all drool over now, were quite underrated before they left the market, only to come into full fame after their death" .
I've been smoking pipe tobacco since the mid 1990's and back then I don't recall that McClellands blends were underrated. Maybe some were and I just don't recall.

I'd agree the most famous McClelland blends weren't underrated. I think the surprise now is that any blend with the McClelland label goes for a premium, even though many of them weren't especially memorable. McClelland had the same approach to blending that C&D is so often criticized over, which is to offer a million blends in every conceivable configuration. Sure, they some amazing blends but there were plenty of forgettable ones too.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
MacBaren HH Acadian Perique. Best damn blend I ever had, now have two 100g tins with already 3 years of age on them. No clue when to crack one.
I have two tins from 2012, one I have opened and for awhile in the jar it had the best smelling aroma of any blend in my stock (over 120 different). Easily one of my favorite smokes.

Reactions: karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Chasing Embers called HH Acadian Perique a hidden gem, or something along the lines of well-kept secret. Maybe it was too well-kept, so much that people didn't buy it enough to warrant continuing production.
Putting it next to the rest of the HH line, for me it stands equal to ODF (though a lot more complex), and blows a lot of the other more generic blends out the water. It's the addition of oriental tobacco, and a hefty dose of dark fired that does it, and the balance.
If you see tobacco reviews, only ODF and HH mature Virginia (also discontinued) have more reviews. This means that for the pipe tobacco freakers like us who bother to get on a forum and read and write about pipe tobacco, it was a good blend. It also shows how small we really are in the grand scheme of things!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Chasing Embers called HH Acadian Perique
?Don't recall that but then again, it's been years since I smoked it. It was good though. The cavendish got that one discontinued as the HH line is supposed to be "pure" like how HH Mature Virginia got the boot for its balsamic vinegar topping.

Reactions: Peter Turbo